Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EMBQA
Topic Author

Same City Pairing, Different Route

Sat May 28, 2016 12:33 pm

So my wife and I enjoy going to Cancun as often as we can. For the summer this year both Delta and American are running Saturday only non-stops from Nashville, but what I find odd is they take very different routes getting there. American 801 runs down the west coast of Florida to Key West then a right turn and straight over to Cancun. Delta 539 which leaves :30 minutes later heads south to New Orleans, then straight down to Cancun. Since time is money...and burned fuel, why would American take a slightly longer route..? It's block times are about :20 minutes longer.?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

N757ST

RE: Same City Pairing, Different Route

Sat May 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Different dispatchers will route aircraft differently depending on a multitude of factors. Due to military airspace in the gulf and cun prefered arrivals there are a finite number of routes which can be flown into CUN from the eastern USA. One takes you over the yucatan on the Otomo arrival, the other via Tadpo and Cuban airspace eventually direct the CUN VOR but you'll get vectors over isla de mujeres. If winds aren't strong it's a coin flip which is quicker.

[Edited 2016-05-28 05:42:57]

EMBQA
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 12:48 pm

N757ST... I understand that part of route selection.....but this is every week...and only :30 minutes different departures. We flew down on Delta in February...and already booked our December trip on American....and hoping to pull one more off this summer. We really miss the USAirways flight we'd take down. Yes, there is a difference.

[Edited 2016-05-28 05:56:13]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

maxholstemh1521

Sat May 28, 2016 1:03 pm

The American Aircraft may not be overwater equipped, and the Delta aircraft is. There is a pretty decent size chunk of the gulf that is not within 162nm of the shore. Going south from MSY will put you right inside that area.

[Edited 2016-05-28 06:05:04]
It's not a Beaver

BostonBeau

Sat May 28, 2016 1:10 pm

I think maxholstemh1521 may have hit on it. In the olden days, not every aircraft was equipped with life jackets and life rafts if there was no likelihood of the plane regularly flying over water. That may still be true since it does save considerable weight. I remember flying to Miami from Boston once. The most direct route would be mostly over water. Going down, we were over water basically after Rhode Island, whereas coming back, we were mostly over land. I asked why on the return trip and was told that the aircraft had no life rafts so we could not take the more direct route.

avi

Sat May 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Dispatch is a mystery.
I follow (almost) every night the departure of El-Al flights to New York (JFK & EWR) and Boston (which from TLV it is on the same route) which departs shortly one after the other.
It is the same company, same departure time, they all should fly the same initial direction and yet I can see them flying in different directions (one can head north to Cyprus and Turkey, the other North West to Rhodos and Greece and from there over the Balkan or even Italy in rare occasions).

Why? When you depart TLV, what is the difference between JFK and EWR?
Go figure.
Long live the B747

N757ST

Sat May 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Forgot entirely about the rafts. A large portion of ex us Airbuses are not raft equipped. That is the only requirement though over the gulf. Even though some of the route is outside VHF range there is no need for an HF radio.

AAR90

Sun May 29, 2016 5:30 am

Quoting N757ST (Reply 6):
That is the only requirement though over the gulf.

The crew also needs to be "overwater" trained/certified. For LAA pilots that is what separates the "international" and "domestic" division qualifications. As a "domestic" 737 pilot, I can not operate beyond 162nm from land when flying over the Gulf even though the plane has all required equipment.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

QB737

Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I wish more threads were like this one. I've learned more in 7 posts here than I normally do in a day on this site.
Ben YVR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos