Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PieterBoth
Topic Author

Air Mauritius New Destinations: CAN, MPM, DAR

Sat May 28, 2016 2:15 pm

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum yet so apologies if already posted.

Air Mauritius have started flights to two new destinations - MPM and DAR. This will bring MK's number of African destinations to 10. They will be operated as so:

MRU-MPM-DUR-MRU

MRU-DAR-NBO-MRU

MK will also continue to serve DUR and NBO directly.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...gional-destinations-from-may-2016/

They also announce a weekly service MRU-CAN-MRU which will be their 5th route to China (incl. HKG).

The CAN route I suppose is geared towards the growing Chinese tourist numbers visiting MRU (perhaps a response to CZ pulling out of the SZX-MRU route?)

The MPM and DAR routes are part of an 'air corridor' initiative between Singapore and Mauritius, which I don't really understand much about - apparently to strengthen Mauritius' role as a hub for connecting Asia - Africa traffic. Is there a market for MRU to become a mid-Indian Ocean hub between Asia and Africa? Can MK make this work? (The MPM and DAR flights are only once a week).

I always thought MRU could have tried to become an alternative Europe - Australia routing given they serve LHR, CDG and PER (and formerly SYD, MEL and a host of European cities) but I guess frequencies and the relatively small size of the airline hinders this.

eta unknown

RE: Air Mauritius New Destinations: CAN, MPM, DAR

Sun May 29, 2016 7:26 am

The SIN-Africa air corridor. I suspect MK is getting some form of incentive and these A319 infrequent flights to MPM/DAR are paying lip service as part of the agreement. I mean, MK can't make PER-MRU-Africa work well with connections because of infrequent service and timings + MRU point to point market to most of Africa isn't very large.

IndianicWorld

Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 am

I would love to see MK back in MEL to provide additional travel options to Africa, but at the end of the day its a hard market to make work and is better off trying other opportunities.

Australia-Europe as it is far too competitive to even consider them trying to bother with.

Sepultallica

Sun May 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 1):
I suspect MK is getting some form of incentive
As part of the deal, Changi Airport has offered Air Mauritius an incentive package including preferential fee charges as well as SGD2 million (USD1.45 million) in subsidies. It will also help promote Mauritius and Air Mauritius through fairs, roadshows, and in various other forms.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...sland-into-key-africa-asia-gateway
Chinokanganwa idemo; Chitsiga hachikanganwe. ✈

GRJGeorge

Mon May 30, 2016 9:43 am

Was mentioned at the beginning of May in the African Aviation thread when the flights started.

Good on MK for trying to capture some connecting traffic to boost their flights, however as mentioned with the once weekly flights and being 1-stop in one direction (for MPM and DAR now specifically) it might prove to be somewhat taking a chance on these destinations.
MK seems to be having some success with connecting traffic on South Africa-PER market...also offers of stop-overs with 1 or 2nights at certain hotels etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos