Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

B6 Pax Denied Boarding Because Shorts Too Short

Tue May 31, 2016 3:44 pm

The woman from Seattle, a burlesque performer who goes by the name Maggie McMuffin, told CBS station KIRO-TV she was stopped after she tried to board a connecting flight at Logan May 18 wearing a sweater, thigh high socks and shorts.

Maggie McMuffin?,,,wasn't that a Rod Stewart song?   

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jetblue-...ane-because-shorts-were-too-short/

What confuses me...and this woul go for COS as well...why are you OK with one flight but not another, when on same airline?

[Edited 2016-05-31 08:47:28]
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

enilria

RE: B6 Pax Denied Boarding Because Shorts Too Short

Tue May 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Well, the singing with her friends was a little much...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve04-BcEP94

scbriml

Tue May 31, 2016 4:06 pm

I would have thought it would be better for B6 to object on the basis that using an escape slide in those shorts would likely cause her injury, rather than saying someone might be 'offended' by them. But that's just me.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

enilria

Tue May 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
I would have thought it would be better for B6 to object on the basis that using an escape slide in those shorts would likely cause her injury, rather than saying someone might be 'offended' by them. But that's just me.

That's a good made up reason. It could also be used to deny women in heels or sharp jewelry. They should put that in the training as a way to deny random people for no real reason. Luckily the woman involved was not a member of a persecuted ethnic group or the news would actually care about this...

skyhawkmatthew

Tue May 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 3):
That's a good made up reason.

It is true though: if you had to go down a slide in short shorts, you would have a very bad time. I can picture someone filing a lawsuit for their friction burns sustained during an evacuation.

Heels and jewellery can be removed, and heels at least are requested to be removed before evacuation.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

enilria

Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Quoting skyhawkmatthew (Reply 4):
Heels and jewellery can be removed,

Then shorts should be officially not allowed. I see them all the time.

Aesma

Tue May 31, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with the length of the shorts, however they're horrible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

N1120A

Tue May 31, 2016 5:19 pm

I can picture someone filing a lawsuit for their friction burns sustained during an evacuation.

I find it amazing what people think would be a lawsuit vs. what actually would be.

It is true though: if you had to go down a slide in short shorts, you would have a very bad time.

People wear shorts all the time.

That's a good made up reason. It could also be used to deny women in heels or sharp jewelry. They should put that in the training as a way to deny random people for no real reason. Luckily the woman involved was not a member of a persecuted ethnic group or the news would actually care about this...

This is at least as stupid as that woman in the business suit with a short, but not obnoxious skirt, who was tossed from a WN flight a few years ago.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

pwm2txlhopper

Tue May 31, 2016 5:36 pm

Too bad they can't deny boarding to people who are exposing their ass and underwear with baggy pants.

MaverickM11

Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Why would anyone care enough to deny her boarding? If I denied boarding to everyone that looked like hell LFs would drop 20pts systemwide.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
I don't think there's anything wrong with the length of the shorts, however they're horrible.

Her top was cold but her bottom was hot hot hot...and hideous
I don't take responsibility at all

Renton_WA

Tue May 31, 2016 6:08 pm

I find it amazing that people consider what she was wearing to be acceptable. Even more amazing that what she was wearing are considered shorts! Really? People see what they see, I guess.
Some see shorts, I see something that looks like a underwear, in particular underwear that you'd wear only if you didn't have clean ones.

Perhaps no one noticed or cared to say anything in New York, but she looks pretty ridiculous to be out in public like that. For her burlesque show, sure! Roller derby? Absolutely!

Flying across country in what looks like a bombacha, c'mon!

shankly

Tue May 31, 2016 6:16 pm

Quite right too. Dress standards for flying should be:

Lounge suit, shirt, tie, polished shoes and pork pie hat or trilby for gents

Elegant dresses, heels, no bare legs and race course hats for the ladies

Sunday school dress for children
L1011 - P F M

LTenEleven

Tue May 31, 2016 6:24 pm

Is this the US or Saudi Arabia?

Of course, if it was a man in those shorts no one would have noticed or said a word.

MKIAZ

Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 pm

I always find these types of things crazy. Are your private areas showing? No? Ok then carry on. Airlines don't need to be the fashion police.

Remember a few years ago there was a male frequent flier on US Air who would dress in women’s panties and was allowed to fly.

Possibly nsfw link
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ng-women-s-panties-fly-2367122.php

PITingres

Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm

Quoting Renton_WA (Reply 10):
I find it amazing that people consider what she was wearing to be acceptable.

Well, I find it just as amazing that anyone would care. You don't like it, don't look. Those shorts aren't especially attractive, but they aren't all that short, either. I see women all the time with cutoff jeans shorts that are no longer. WHO CARES???!?? Get a life instead of worrying about other people's lives!
Fly, you fools! Fly!

AirlineCritic

Tue May 31, 2016 7:30 pm

Quoting LTenEleven (Reply 12):

The day and age, where this is an issue for someone.

For better or worse, there's hideous outfits all day long on all flights. Why pick on a girl who didn't even expose anything? Is B6 the fashion police now? Or is US prudish in general?

MaverickM11

Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Of course, if it was a man in those shorts no one would have noticed or said a word.

I think there would have been a lot of words if a man was in those shorts 
I don't take responsibility at all

enilria

Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Is this the US or Saudi Arabia?

There are more similarities than you would think. Surprising they think of the USA as the enemy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...cans-more-religious_n_4780594.html

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 8):
Too bad they can't deny boarding to people who are exposing their ass and underwear with baggy pants.

I guess there is an element of sexual discrimination. I saw a guy in the SU boarding lounge at SVO just sitting without a shirt.

tp1040

Tue May 31, 2016 8:13 pm

They should have stopped from boarding because she looks like a fool.

Renton_WA

Tue May 31, 2016 8:24 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 15):
Get a life instead of worrying about other people's lives!

Get a life??? Is that your best reply? How about enough of people being outraged everyday/minute about stuff!! Those people are the one you should be telling to get a life.

You asked who cares, well I do to some extent and so did others.
I'm not really worried about what other people do with their lives.
People can express however they want, so long as no one cries when people treat them according to how they represent themselves.

If people want to go the supermarket in their pajamas, or walk around the store wrapped in a blanket, or the drooping pants showing off the underwear, sure it's their right!
But if you are going to tell me "if you don't like it, don't look" sure but I could argue the same, don't want comments or stares or looks, don't dress like a fool.

Because "Maggie McMuffin's" was dress for her burlesque show, not for a flight. But I'm sure "Maggie McMuffin" was not looking for attention or 15 min of fame and made sure to use the name "she goes by" to promote her burlesque shows and not her real name? But yea I get it, it's her right to have a stage name, I bet!

scbriml

Tue May 31, 2016 8:24 pm

You think? Welcome to the most complained about UK TV ad, ever. Personally, I think it's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaP9sN67QKI
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Armodeen

Tue May 31, 2016 8:40 pm

Is she suing for $1 million in compensation for emotional trauma?

enilria

Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting kurtverbose (Reply 17):
Here's Maggie McMuffin wearing even less.

If she was wearing that I'd be supporting B6.

Carfield

Tue May 31, 2016 10:04 pm

I honestly think that pilots and crews are given too much power these days, and am sad that my favorite US airline, JetBlue, is in the news for the wrong reason.

As long as his or her private parts are not hanging in open, I don't think airlines have the rights to deny anyone boarding just because of his or her fashion choices.

JetBlue's excuse is even lamer - offending other families... well there are always people wearing swimsuits/speedos/bikinis in resorts, swimming pools and beaches too. I don't think children will be traumatized seeing a woman wearing a pair of short shorts!

I will stand by the pilots if someone is intoxicated or are too sick or are obviously under the influence of drugs, but someone's shorts are too short is going a bit too far. There are plenty of guys wearing tank tops too, and are we banning them too? Summer is here and there will be plenty of people wearing tank tops and shorts, and airlines will have problems!

I am glad that JetBlue apologized, refunded this lady's money of buying the pair of shorts, and gives her $200 credits.

Carfield

ikramerica

Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 pm

They look like pajamas. They aren't revealing. Just tasteless. But a lot of people change into pajamas on long haul, just not as skimpy.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

flybynight

Tue May 31, 2016 11:07 pm

Her name is cool though.

Could be in a Bond movie. Right up there with Pussy Galore, Chewme and Doctor Goodhead.
Heia Norge!

dashdrvr

Tue May 31, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm not sure what that captain's issue was. Been my plane, not only would I let her stay but encourage her to come sit on my lap for a while

kgaiflyer

Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Here's Maggie McMuffin wearing even less.

Old fashioned bump and grind stuff from the 50s.

OTOH, are you trying to give us 70 and older guys a heart attack?  

flybynight

Tue May 31, 2016 11:42 pm

Quoting dashdrvr (Reply 27):
I'm not sure what that captain's issue was. Been my plane, not only would I let her stay but encourage her to come sit on my lap for a while

Probably a very conservative guy.
Heia Norge!

gia777

Tue May 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Is this for real? I mean.... I was even in a plane several times with a girl wearing shorts that's also very short but no one care and it's a muslim country too,...
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

QB737

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:35 am

One thing for sure, she got her name out there and I'm sure more people will go to see her show now.
Ben YVR

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:10 am

Those shorts are an abomination. They look like my grandmother's bloomers. Shorts above the mid-thigh and all yoga pants should be banned from aircraft. It is not modest and decent. Sometimes I wish I had modesty blankets to throw on people in airports like I did back when I was a church usher...

vhtje

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:28 am

Of course this will have been the best publicity for her career, ever. Watch the hits on her YouTube channel go through the roof over the next couple of days as news of this spreads.

I cannot think that her complaint will be real, or long-lived.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

catiii

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:37 am

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a thread...

From JetBlue: At the gate and on board crew discussed the customer’s clothing and determined that the burlesque shorts may offend other families on the flight,” a JetBlue spokesman told KIRO7. “While the customer was not denied boarding, the crew members politely asked if she could change. The customer agreed and continued on the flight without interruption. We support our crew members’ discretion to make these difficult decisions, and we decided to reimburse the customer for the cost of the new shorts and offered a credit for future flight as a good will gesture.”

So the thread title is inaccurate. She was not denied boarding. She was politely asked to change, and made money in the process.

rbavfan

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:49 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Maggie McMuffin?,,,wasn't that a Rod Stewart song?

If its the same lady I hope it was not short shorts at the age she would be now.

However you should at least be appropriate dress for a public setting. Looking at the pics it looks more like underwear than shorts, But those were not burlesque shorts. I have a friend that runs a group. None of them would wear that on a flight.
I've seen people getting on that the shorts are so small you see things that give you nightmares.

[Edited 2016-05-31 19:57:30]

rbavfan

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:01 am

People ignore those request all the time. Ask a punctured wing or a slide. Hell people go down the slides with full size roller bags.

bioyuki

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 am

Quoting Carfield (Reply 24):
I honestly think that pilots and crews are given too much power these days, and am sad that my favorite US airline, JetBlue, is in the news for the wrong reason.

As long as his or her private parts are not hanging in open, I don't think airlines have the rights to deny anyone boarding just because of his or her fashion choices.

JetBlue's excuse is even lamer - offending other families... well there are always people wearing swimsuits/speedos/bikinis in resorts, swimming pools and beaches too. I don't think children will be traumatized seeing a woman wearing a pair of short shorts!

I will stand by the pilots if someone is intoxicated or are too sick or are obviously under the influence of drugs, but someone's shorts are too short is going a bit too far. There are plenty of guys wearing tank tops too, and are we banning them too? Summer is here and there will be plenty of people wearing tank tops and shorts, and airlines will have problems!

I am glad that JetBlue apologized, refunded this lady's money of buying the pair of shorts, and gives her $200 credits.

Carfield

+1...do the B6 pilot and crew think they're the Saudi morality police or something? It's ridiculous that they even tried to pass judgement on their pax. Do your job and safely transport your pax from point A to point B and shut up about anything else.
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

HGL

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 am

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 8):

That has happened before now: http://abcnews.go.com/US/booted-off-...sted-baggy-pants/story?id=13866661

What I don't understand is why airlines believe other passengers' rights to be offended is greater than carrying a passenger who has a valid travel document. In this instance the passenger was allowed to board after changing into some other clothing, but what if someone objects on other grounds? Should passengers with tattoos or pierced noses be denied boarding because someone else finds them offensive?

As long as passengers are clean, don't appear to have a communicable disease and are not being disruptive, what does it matter what they wear and what business is it of anyone else?
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

bioyuki

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 32):
Those shorts are an abomination. They look like my grandmother's bloomers. Shorts above the mid-thigh and all yoga pants should be banned from aircraft. It is not modest and decent. Sometimes I wish I had modesty blankets to throw on people in airports like I did back when I was a church usher...

I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious which is scary in itself...
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

grbauc

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:40 am

That's a good made up reason.

It is true though: if you had to go down a slide in short shorts, you would have a very bad time. I can picture someone filing a lawsuit for their friction burns sustained during an evacuation.

Heels and jewellery can be removed, and heels at least are requested to be removed before evacuation.

Oh for hell's sake. I just don't get this world. Friction burns. I could get those on my bare arms should I stop and put a long sleeve shirt on while the woman are taking off there Heels and jewelry etc before going down the slide.
Has all common sense been lost on the general public. Must we sue for everything that doesn't go perfectly right in life?
I really don't get this silver spoon in mouth generation.
If i had to evacuate from a plane I'd be happy If everyone got off safe and any minor inconveniences along the process id just pass off oh well. This new world thinking really makes me wonder.

ssteve

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 am

Quoting bioyuki (Reply 39):

I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious which is scary in itself...

The guy suggesting suits and elegant dresses was being facetious, at least.

grbauc

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:49 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 32):

I'm glad i don't live in your world. ; )

jacobin777

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:29 am

Quoting bioyuki (Reply 37):
It's ridiculous that they even tried to pass judgement on their pax. Do your job and safely transport your pax from point A to point B and shut up about anything else.

I don't think its ridiculous at all. People should wear clothing which prevents skin exposure to seats:

"Occasionally head lice and other skin parasites may be passed on through contact with aircraft seats where previous passengers have been infested."

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/flights.htm
"Up the Irons!"

LTenEleven

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 am

The morality police is out in full force.

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 43):
"Occasionally head lice and other skin parasites may be passed on through contact with aircraft seats where previous passengers have been infested."

Long-sleeved tops and gloves too?

MKIAZ

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 am

I think there would have been a lot of words if a man was in those shorts

See the link I posted. There is a man who flies regularly wearing MUCH more revealing women's underwear and is allowed to fly.

As someone who lives in California and flies to beach/vacation destinations - those shorts, despite being pretty bad fashion wise are about the same size as the shorts worn by probably 20% of women I see on flights. In fact you often see much tighter/shorter yoga shorts - and no one seems to mind.

s5daw

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:10 am

Oh look... sharia police on American soil...

Siren

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 am

Quoting shankly (Reply 11):

Quite right too. Dress standards for flying should be:

Lounge suit, shirt, tie, polished shoes and pork pie hat or trilby for gents

Elegant dresses, heels, no bare legs and race course hats for the ladies

Sunday school dress for children

Amen. I do truly wish the dress code was that way - but it's not realistic. I'd wager that 90% of children don't have "Sunday school" appropriate clothing.

I do wonder what the B6 contract of carriage states about the Airline's rights to refuse service? Obviously they can't deny anyone for any reasons that would be protected under US Federal law - race, gender, etc. There is no protection under US law for people to wear whatever they want without consequence. Same principle as freedom of speech - freedom of speech does not mean it is without consequences.

So, I'll bet B6 was within their legal rights to kick this lady off the plane - she can make a fuss, but I doubt the airline acted in any way technically illegal. It is, however, a nasty and petty reason to remove her from the flight, and B6 deserves all the criticism they get.

PanHAM

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 am

The way she lit that cigar on stage, she cannot complain about friction burns.....  
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

wjcandee

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 am

If it was a man in those shorts, he would have been arrested for indecent exposure.