Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airboeingbus
Topic Author

Could The Average Joe Buy An Airliner

Tue May 31, 2016 11:04 pm

It's a stupid question but worth a shot anyway. Let's say i had a large amount of money ( > $300 Million) and could afford to buy an airliner directly from A or B, would it actually be possible and would they be willing to sell one to an individual? I'd suppose delivery time's wouldn't be to great though.

Armodeen

RE: Could The Average Joe Buy An Airliner

Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 pm

Of course they would, thats why BBJ/ACJ's were created  

EA CO AS

Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 pm

Quoting airboeingbus (Thread starter):
It's a stupid question

Not at all; if you don't know the answer, it's a perfectly valid question to ask.

Quoting airboeingbus (Thread starter):
Let's say i had a large amount of money ( > $300 Million) and could afford to buy an airliner directly from A or B, would it actually be possible

Absolutely.

Granted, I don't know that someone with nine figures in the bank could ever call themselves an "Average Joe," but that's not relevant here.  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mayor

Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 pm

Well, with that kind of money, they would no longer be an "average" joe, would they?  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

reffado

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:17 am

I've actually wondered a variation of the same question: would the delivery slots be allocated same as the airlines? I ask because of what we saw with the 748s and 787s, the BBJs came out pretty quickly.

GE9X

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:23 am

If you can afford it, absolutely. Not many private individuals have airliners, but some do, a prime example is Donald Trump and his Boeing 757-200, although he bought it used and not off the Boeing line. But you can buy any aircraft new from any manufacturer, they aren't going to turn down any sale, in fact quite the opposite since they won't offer you a discount and the list price is a huge profit to them, unless maybe it's an end-of-production model and they want to fill the slots. Boeing and Airbus are so eager to sell you airliners they even have a whole marketing program for them (BBJ and ACJ respectively).

One thing to consider is that the finances to purchase an airliner is one thing, it's the operating cost that kills you. Insurance, fuel, maintenance, airport handling, it all gets expensive real quick. Only absolute monarchy royal families and extremely wealthy individuals can afford such a thing. Even for "entry-level" billionaires it's a huge splurge, I would say you need over $2-5b net worth, depending on cashflow, to comfortably own and operate anything bigger than a conventional private jet.

[Edited 2016-05-31 17:24:44]

solarflyer22

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:42 am

Yeah, I mean you buy a used A340 for $7 million but a lot of planes are bought on credit so you could probably get one for 50% down (3.5 million). Fuel, maintenance, insurance, landing fees and storage are very expensive though.

If you bought one to haul cargo in some dangerous part of the world, I bet you could do it profitably. Use planes are how airlines get started.

I dont think you can lease one directly from A or B, but you could in theory lease one from AirCastle too. They can always be reconfigured for passenger service later.

Prince Al Waleed (Saudi Arabia) bought a new A380 from Airbus though. So it does happen. I think technically it was owned by Kingdom Holdings, his Company.

Beardown91737

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:17 am

John Travolta flies his own 707.

Since you didn't say modern I will continue with having seen privately owned DC-3s and DC-4s at Oshkosh in the 1980s. NOt sure if they are still making the trip.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Viscount724

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:29 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 7):
John Travolta flies his own 707.

There are no A.net photos of that aircraft actually flying in the past 3 years. If it was actually being used you would think it would a popular subject for photographers.

Related recent thread:
N707JT John Travolta 707-138B Updates? (by VirginFlyer Feb 16 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Yflyer

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

This isn't exactly what the OP was asking, but along the same line several "average Joes" have purchased retired airliners from boneyards and converted them into homes. Here's one such example:
http://inhabitat.com/oregon-man-live...-woods/bruce-campbell-727-house-2/

United_fan

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:06 pm

Yes,but one would have to set up some sort of maintenance program,right ?
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

flyDTW1992

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Quoting United_fan (Reply 10):
Yes,but one would have to set up some sort of maintenance program,right ?

Sure, but if it's operating under Part 91 instead of 121 the requirements are not as stringent, and there are plenty of MRO operations out there that will take on private aircraft of all shapes and sizes if they have the proper facilities and expertise.
Now you're flying smart

B8887

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Yes, you can buy an airliner if you are average Joe, however, there are a few points worth pointing out:

-buying a 45 to 300M USD airliner is not exactly like walking to your local Ford leadership and driving out in a F-150, as there are not many Boeing or Airbus dealerships around. It will typically involve face to face meetings with a sales team, especially if you are a first time buyer.

-A or B will ask some questions, about financing among others. As with transactions involving similarly priced very expensive houses and apartments, the complexities involved will call at least for a small team of advisers, financial and legal, as things can go wrong and even high net worth individuals almost always use some kind of financial arrangements.

-consider all operating costs, as even parking your newly-bought A320 or B777 at VCV for fun for a year costs a substantial amount of money, not to mention fuel and maintenance.

Other than that, you are free to do it, if you can afford it and need it.

Regards.

B8887

FriscoHeavy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Who exactly would you call at Boeing to place such an order...or start the process? I doubt there is an "800" number I could call and get to the right person.

Who and how would you go about contacting someone at Boeing to start the process of purchasing?
Whatever

B8887

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Well, it turns out that indeed Boeing does not seem to have a 1-800 number, but you might want to try one of these, and I am sure they will direct you to the adequate sales department...

http://www.boeing.com/contact-us.page

Regards.

B8887

RogerMurdock

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 13):
Who and how would you go about contacting someone at Boeing to start the process of purchasing?

Well I'd suggest starting here:

http://www.boeing.com/contact-us.page

Maybe call up either Corporate or the Boeing Commercial Airplanes unit and leave a message with your name and contact info and if they judge you to be serious you'll get a call back from someone who can help.  

Armodeen

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Anyone have any idea what it would actually cost to own/operate a 737/320 sized private aircraft?

flyingturtle

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm

It's actually much easier than that. Get in touch with your bank or broker, and they'll suggest you an investment fund. There are funds where you can invest in a 380 share, or an aircraft engine.

In the same manner, you can buy a part of a cruise ship, or a high-rise building, or...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Flighty

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 16):

Anyone have any idea what it would actually cost to own/operate a 737/320 sized private aircraft?

~$2 million a year if you are doing it right. More, if you fly a lot. Oh, and that is operations cost only. To buy a nice used BBJ costs 25-30m or so.

[Edited 2016-06-01 13:58:33]

speedbored

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Boeing contact numbers:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/bbj/#/contact-us

Airbus contact numbers:
http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/corporate/sales-contacts/

Or just get in touch with an aircraft broker and pay them to do all the hard work for you, for example:
http://www.globalair.com/aircraft_for_sale/Commercial_Aircraft.html

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Quoting B8887 (Reply 12):
-A or B will ask some questions, about financing among others. As with transactions involving similarly priced very expensive houses and apartments, the complexities involved will call at least for a small team of advisers, financial and legal, as things can go wrong and even high net worth individuals almost always use some kind of financial arrangements.

There's also requirements, at least in the states, that the source of funds is verifiable. They're going to question your business, how you made the money, possibly your accountant or lawyer will have to provide them with clarification.

I know this because of by business dealings with Gulfstream. Average rich unknown person can't just "send a wire", it's that "Know Your Client" and all that bullshit.

Then you wait, and wait, and wait. I guess you could get a green B747-800 pretty quickly, and I'd rather own that than the A380, but for certain aircraft like the G650ER there is a 3 year waiting list. Used G650ERs have been selling for as much as $5 million MORE than new, and people have flipped their slots for up to $10 million even though this is discouraged by Gulfstream. Airliners need a 100% custom completion, and that's gonna take a year or two beyond your wait for the jet.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

curlyheadboy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Well, when I was about to graduate from college in the late '90s, me and a few friends planned a prank and started the process of placing an order for a brand new Gulfstream V on behalf of the university.
It was scary how far we could go in the process. The sales rep replied to several emails, sent a FedEx with brochures and financial plans, and he also asked us to join him for a meeting in Switzerland... at that point the feeling of guilt prevailed and we interrupted the contacts. I sort of still feel bad about it, but I think it shows aircraft manufacturers are hungry to sell and are ready to take seriously any sign of interest from a possible purchaser, no matter how unlikely it seems.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

Flighty

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Quoting curlyheadboy (Reply 21):
me and a few friends planned a prank and started the process of placing an order for a brand new Gulfstream V on behalf of the university.
It was scary how far we could go in the process.

That is incredible!

flightsimer

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Quoting curlyheadboy (Reply 21):

And now we know why Gulfstream requires funding verification...
Commercial / Airline Pilot

curlyheadboy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 22):
That is incredible!

Actually back then it was quite easy, Gulfstream had a contact page on their website and all we needed to do was fill a form and we were contacted back from a kind sales rep who just did his job. Of course we stopped before the very relevant questions emerged but he did send brochures and he actually proposed a meeting. I don't know if he smelled it was just a prank, I even thought he was instructed to act professionally even when faced with odd requests.
I can tell one thing for sure, though: If I ever win the lottery and be able to buy a corporate jet it'll be a Gulfstream  
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

william

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Go to LinkedIn and join the aviation groups, many leasing companies hocking off lease aircraft to anyone.

seabosdca

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 pm

You would really need to be a billionaire, or at least close to one, to fund the purchase, operation, and maintenance of a new-build private airliner. And if you have that kind of money, you will also have multiple advisors who can with a few phone calls get in touch with the right people to get the process moving. The world of extreme wealth is a small and very interconnected one.

[Edited 2016-06-01 14:53:36]

FriscoHeavy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Great answers. Thanks everyone.
Whatever

falstaff

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 18):
Quoting Armodeen (Reply 16):

~$2 million a year if you are doing it right. More, if you fly a lot. Oh, and that is operations

What do you think the ownership costs (no including buying the plane) for a DC-9 or MD-80 would run?

If I had a big pile of money I would buy this. http://danahr.com/dc_9_15_vip_corporate_aircraft/index.html
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

L0VE2FLY

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 am

If I could afford one engine of an airliner, I certainly wouldn't call myself an Average Joe!  

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 8):
There are no A.net photos of that aircraft actually flying in the past 3 years. If it was actually being used you would think it would a popular subject for photographers.

Related recent thread:
N707JT John Travolta 707-138B Updates? (by VirginFlyer Feb 16 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Mr. Travolta is a wealthy man but I really doubt his pockets are deep enough to fly his 707 frequently, I bet QF were paying for a huge chunk of that bird's expenses when he was promoting them. As GE9X said you need to be a multi-billionaire to afford your own large aircraft.

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:05 am

Does anyone know a rough estimate of annual maintenance expenses woould be of an A340, 772LR, or 747-400/747-800?

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 23):

And now we know why Gulfstream requires funding verification...

It's actually more to do with the USA Patriot Act and "Know Your Client" rules when dealing with such large sums of money.

Flighty

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:35 am

Falstaff that Dc9-15 is just beautiful. You can economize and park it outside. Which would be a shame. Still would cost $5000/hr plus insurance. if you fly 15 hours per month that is still pretty costly, up around a million per year. I believe they burn a thousand gallons per hour or more.

This hobby just isn't for ordinary people! Hugh Heffner had one but he's a rare bird.

airtechy

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:59 am

Can't imagine what the avionics alone in that DC9-15 cost. It has be one of the better equipped '9 flight decks!  Wow!

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:52 am

I'd love to buy an A340 one day and just use it as a lawn ornament if I don't have the money to keep it flying, or maybe donate it to the NASM Annex as long as they'd keep the interior open to the public.

jetwet1

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:24 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 20):
There's also requirements, at least in the states, that the source of funds is verifiable. They're going to question your business, how you made the money, possibly your accountant or lawyer will have to provide them with clarification.

I know this because of by business dealings with Gulfstream. Average rich unknown person can't just "send a wire", it's that "Know Your Client" and all that bullshit.
Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 30):
It's actually more to do with the USA Patriot Act and "Know Your Client" rules when dealing with such large sums of money.

FINCEN is not bullshit, at least the fines that you get hit with for failing to comply with the laws. For the most part in a transaction like this it really wouldn't be a big deal 99.9% of the time, people who spend this type of money on a new plane tend to have their affairs in order, though I would imagine the used market outside the US is a whole different ballgame.

Pellegrine

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 34):

FINCEN is not bullshit, at least the fines that you get hit with for failing to comply with the laws. For the most part in a transaction like this it really wouldn't be a big deal 99.9% of the time, people who spend this type of money on a new plane tend to have their affairs in order, though I would imagine the used market outside the US is a whole different ballgame.

For me it's bullshit for anybody to ever dig in my finances. I don't tax dodge. I obey by it because I don't want to loose my money or be imprisoned. I'll probably give up my US citizenship in 10 years though because I don't believe in being taxed worldwide and supporting this endlessly belligerent and big brother authentarianism-like state. I take privacy very seriously, unlike those in power in the US today. How many drug dealers and terrorists have FINCEN caught? Every drug you could ever want is available in every US city today.

LH707330

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:18 am

Who exactly would you call at Boeing to place such an order...or start the process? I doubt there is an "800" number I could call and get to the right person.

I'm sure if you call their contact number and have enough money to buy the plane, they'll recognize your name....

AirFiero

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 am

Like others have said, the purchase or the price isn't your only issue. The cost of ownership on any aircraft is probably 10 times what you'd think. Annual inspections, maintenance and parts costs, insurance, hangar, fuel...it's stupid expensive. Even my 70s era Cessna T210 can cost over $20,000 a year for all that.

United_fan

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:51 pm

BTW ,where is N707JT ? Still in MIA ? The above link didn't say much.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

goosebayguy

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Okay so how much would a cre cost to operate the airliner? No doubt you have to pay their hotel bils etc?

beeweel15

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 am

The big question can a person buy a aircraft with no money down. Just like a car if possible?

LGAviation

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:42 am

I would be extremely surprised if Airbus were willing to sell one of their jets to an individual using it for private purposes only as this would likely leave them in a situation where European consumer rights would necessarily apply.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

GE9X

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:59 am

Quoting LGAviation (Reply 41):

I would be extremely surprised if Airbus were willing to sell one of their jets to an individual using it for private purposes only as this would likely leave them in a situation where European consumer rights would necessarily apply.
http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/corporate/

Quote: "Airbus offers a full family of VIP widebodies that also deliver “non-stop to the world” range, allowing company executives, high net-worth individuals and government leaders to save time by flying directly to their destination."

[Edited 2016-06-07 01:01:13]

LGAviation

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:05 am

Quoting GE9X (Reply 42):

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/corporate/

They're called corporate jets not private jets for a purpose  
All I was referring to is that from a legal standpoint I would be very reluctant to sell those to private individuals residing within the EU. That certainly doesn't include sales to one man corporations established for the purpose, partnerships etc. And the question was (if I understand it correctly) whether the average Joe himself could buy an airliner.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

GE9X

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:46 am

Quoting LGAviation (Reply 43):
They're called corporate jets not private jets for a purpose
All I was referring to is that from a legal standpoint I would be very reluctant to sell those to private individuals residing within the EU. That certainly doesn't include sales to one man corporations established for the purpose, partnerships etc. And the question was (if I understand it correctly) whether the average Joe himself could buy an airliner.

I guess the confusion is around what "average Joe" means then. Since a real "average Joe" doesn't have that kind of money, I think it's fair to say OP simply meant an individual, as opposed to an airline or other commercial business. And it is implied that that individual would most probably have to set up a one-man corporation to buy, insure, and operate the thing. They are not complicated to set up and every high-net worth individual is very familiar with these types of arrangements.

The fact that it's called corporate jet or business jet or private jet is pure semantics. Dassault sells private jets to individuals (through their aforementioned implied entity) and it is based in the EU, so it's no different than what Airbus provides, except for the size of the plane.

[Edited 2016-06-07 01:46:38]

flyingturtle

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Here you can buy 380 without spending too much money:

http://www.hannover-leasing.com/103.php

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

AirlineCritic

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Why should they have an "800" number? So that the average Joe doesn't have to pay for the call when he orders a 100M$ aircraft?

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 40):
The big question can a person buy a aircraft with no money down. Just like a car if possible?

Actually, think that will be totally possible. As someone said higher up in the thread, all the rich types use various kinds of financial arrangements. Credit from a bank, leasing, separate company, are just the simplest approaches that might get used. You can buy one for sure with no money down from your own perspective, but it doesn't mean that you wouldn't have to show sufficient funds, use collateral of some sort, or enter into contracts mandating you to make payments.

Mumble. In most cases these aircraft would be placed in either a general purpose company owning and serving them for you and others, or privately owned corporations that serve just you. In either case, A or B is selling to a corporation, and you as the rich average Joe would be just a user of that other company. And if you own the company yourself, no special consumer laws would apply.

Anyway... so 7M$ starting price for some of the aircraft and 2M$ starting yearly cost. Interesting. So one could use an airplane for 10 years for about 27 M$, or if shared between, say, four people, that would be down to about 7M$, or a yearly cost of about 700K$. Now we are talking something a bit more reasonable for larger set of people than the billionaires.

For the argument's sake, if 100 people from a.net got together, they could do this at 70K downpayment and 20K yearly payment. Plus all fuel and crew.

Aircellist

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 46):
Why should they have an "800" number? So that the average Joe doesn't have to pay for the call when he orders a 100M$ aircraft?

It goes well with the recent trend, though: A380-800, A 350-800…  
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos