lesfalls
Topic Author

Norwegian Air Considering UK Domestic Flights

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Norwegian air is thinking about starting flights within the U.K. Kjos said that he hopes to start LGW-EDI so passangers can connect onto their longhaul flights from LGW. Your thoughts?

http://ch-aviation.com/portal/news/4...dering-entering-uk-domestic-market

What other routes could they start within the U.K(other then from LGW)?

[Edited 2016-06-01 13:43:11]
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Armodeen

RE: Norwegian Air Considering UK Domestic Flights

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Using that logic, pretty much anywhere - LGW.

burnsie28

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 pm

If the UK votes to leave the EU, does that also mean that DY needs special rights to fly both domestically and internationally from the UK?

kelvin933

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 2):

If the UK votes to leave the EU, does that also mean that DY needs special rights to fly both domestically and internationally from the UK?

That would be highly unlikely, there is not much upside for the UK in cancelling the UK participation in Open Skies.
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

eurowings

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:00 pm

LGW-EDI seems like an obvious one. Maybe some more Scottish routes too; LGW-ABZ/GLA/INV

What about LGW-BHD? That route is unserved since Flybe and then Aer Lingus discontinued it.. Of course, it's one of the few LGW routes with (indirect) FR competiton, but it could work.

If they were feeling brave, a summer service to NQY isn't totally unrealistic. Perhaps even JER to compete with BA and easyJet?
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

VS4ever

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm

First came Little Red, then came Little Norwegian... If you can't codeshare with someone, guess building it yourself is the only way.

There could be some real fun here. apart from the ones mentioned, how about a couple of services to ORK to link up with their ORK-BOS 738 flight in the future.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Aeroflot777

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Thread starter):
Your thoughts?

Always look forward to every one of your threads ending with "Your thoughts?" or "Your thoughts on this?"   It's like your signature move on A.net.

Kjos said that he hopes to start LGW-EDI so passangers can connect onto their longhaul flights from LGW.

But as for the topic at hand, I think this makes sense. If connections are timed right, then feeding long-haul operations would be a no brainer for Norwegian, especially since their expansion plans are quite vast and aggressive. I would bet many around the U.K. would welcome a cheap international flight with a short connection.

B747forever

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:51 pm

I am surprised that they dont already operate any UK domestic flight to connect the regions with the ever expanding long haul ops at LGW.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Viscount724

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:30 am

Quoting kelvin933 (Reply 3):
Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 2):

That would be highly unlikely, there is not much upside for the UK in cancelling the UK participation in Open Skies.

But other EU members may not agree that the UK can remain in the US-EU Open Skies agreement if the UK decides to leave the EU. The UK would have to renegotiate an agreement and there are no guarantees it would look the same as what they have today as part of the EU.

lesfalls
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Quoting VS4ever (Reply 5):

The ORK flight will be linked up with BCN.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 6):

Haha Big grin Thanks  !

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 8):

I bet this would affect EZY or could they transit every domestic EU flight (excluding the U.K) to their Swiss subsidary?

[Edited 2016-06-02 09:08:37]

czek6

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:08 pm

I wonder how real this is.

I thought Norwegian and Ryanair were close to an agreement that would have Ryanair providing feed for Norwegian long haul flights?

I suspect that this is more Norwegian using the threat of its own feeder flights to secure a more reasonable terms from Ryanair.

If not, then good luck.

Mir

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 9):
I bet this would affect EZY or could they transit every domestic EU flight (excluding the U.K) to their Swiss subsidary?

No guarantee they could keep their Swiss subsidiary if the UK leaves the EU, since foreign ownership rules would become an issue again.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

B747forever

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Quoting czek6 (Reply 10):
thought Norwegian and Ryanair were close to an agreement that would have Ryanair providing feed for Norwegian long haul flights?

I suspect that this is more Norwegian using the threat of its own feeder flights to secure a more reasonable terms from Ryanair.

With huge orders for both the 737MAX and A320NEO made by DY, I dont see the point of any FR feed. Where would they otherwise send all those planes?
Work Hard, Fly Right

lesfalls
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 12):

The A320Neos will be leased to other airline while the max will just be used for their transatlantic flights but I heard that they might also use the A320Neos after the lease with the airline they lease it to ends.

LondonCity

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Norwegian air is thinking about starting flights within the U.K. Kjos said that he hopes to start LGW-EDI so passangers can connect onto their longhaul flights from LGW. Your thoughts?

But why bother ?

LGW already operates a Gatwick Connects service. And you can use EZY from EDI to connect with Norwegian. Yes there is a fee to pay but, surely, that's better than starting a whole new routes or routes ?

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the...ight-connections/gatwick-connects/

vv701

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 pm

VS currently (Summer 2016) operate 322 LHR weekly slots. This indicates that they operate 151 weekly long haul rotations out of LHR.

Until March 2015 Little Red operated three daily MAN-LHR feeder flights. Until September 2015 they also operated ABZ-LHR and EDI-LHR. Now they have discontinued all these feeder flights.

Of course Little Red's operating costs were higher than the likely Norwegian operating costs. On the other hand Virgin Atlantic ranks in the top 20 of the UK's Superbrands.

How far the cost factor would or would not be balanced by a less comprehensive long haul network and a significantly lower brand awareness is difficult to assess. However my own view is that Norwegian would be more successful if it operated, for example, EDI-XXX long-haul flights than if it offered domestic feeder flights into LGW.

L0VE2FLY

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:55 pm

This airline is so ambitious and confident, there's no limit to their expansion plans. I hope they do well, with so many connections available at LGW maybe one day they'll show up at SAN.

Viscount724

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):

No guarantee they could keep their Swiss subsidiary if the UK leaves the EU, since foreign ownership rules would become an issue again.

And I don't think the Swiss operation has any domestic rights in other countries. I'm fairly sure those are all operated by EZY not EZS.

Mortyman

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:53 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 12):
With huge orders for both the 737MAX and A320NEO made by DY, I dont see the point of any FR feed. Where would they otherwise send all those planes?

The A320neo's are for their inhouse leasing business. The first 12 are already planned to be leased th an Asian airline. Remains to be seen if Norwegian will oprae any themselves. The Boeing 737 max is for a mix of expansion but also for replacement of the Boeing 737-800NG they have now.

runway23

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:30 am

Well Switzerland not being part of the EU has its own set of limitations, as explained beneath.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 17):
And I don't think the Swiss operation has any domestic rights in other countries. I'm fairly sure those are all operated by EZY not EZS.

Actually it's very simple, under the Swiss/EU bilateral, a Swiss carrier is allowed to fly between two different EU countries but is not allowed to sell purely domestic tickets.

You have some weird cases out there like Etihad Regional operating some domestic Italian flights on behalf of AZ, but that operates on dubious legality.

Coming back to easyjet Switzerland, whilst they are allowed to operate BOD-AMS (a route they presently fly), they aren't allowed to fly BOD-ORY for example. Likewise, easyJet UK wouldn't be allowed to fly GVA-ZRH for example.

mjoelnir

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

But other EU members may not agree that the UK can remain in the US-EU Open Skies agreement if the UK decides to leave the EU. The UK would have to renegotiate an agreement and there are no guarantees it would look the same as what they have today as part of the EU.

Barking up the wrong tree. The Open Sky Agreement regulates flights between EU/Norway/Iceland and USA. Nothing to do with inner EU/EEA or domestic UK flights.
If the UK leaves the EU, they also leave the EEA and are not any longer a member of EFTA, so I would say all bets are off until the UK does new agreements with the EU and perhaps joins EFTA. Joining the EEA would be strange, as than the UK would have to agree to rules that they are fleeing with leaving the EU.
Look at Switzerland, Easyjet has a separate airline there.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):

Swiss is neither a member of the EU nor the EEA, only EFTA.

I imagine all plans are on hold until after the Brexit vote.

VS4ever

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:36 pm

The ORK flight will be linked up with BCN

By the actual aircraft yes, but doesn't stop them feeding from elsewhere to fill it.....
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

hibtastic

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Quoting vv701 (Reply 15):
However my own view is that Norwegian would be more successful if it operated, for example, EDI-XXX long-haul flights than if it offered domestic feeder flights into LGW.

I think this is their plan in addition to offering some for of connection to LGW services. Kjos has certainly stated that DY will launch BOS which could be joined by services to New York and San Francisco. I personally think that DY would do well with an MCO service from EDI as its something the airport sorely lacks at the moment.

Viscount724

Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 am

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 20):

Barking up the wrong tree. The Open Sky Agreement regulates flights between EU/Norway/Iceland and USA. Nothing to do with inner EU/EEA or domestic UK flights.

I was referring to Norwegian's international rights between the UK and the U.S. Norway is tagged on to the current U.S.-EU open skies agreement so if the UK leaves the EU, Norway's current UK-U.S. 7th freedom rights would be in jeopardy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos