LAXintl
Topic Author

SWA Applies For LAX-CUN, PVR, And SJD

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:16 pm

Southwest has applied with the DOT to commence service between Los Angeles and Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo.

SWA says it seeks to launch all the routes in November in time for the winter season with daily service to PVR and up to twice daily to CUN and SJD.

OST-2016-TBA

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ericm2031

RE: SWA Applies For LAX-CUN, PVR, And SJD

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:23 pm

Pretty aggressive schedule, great news for fliers! I think I've seen some days with no airlines providing CUN service, so that one might become popular if they can sustain it, which I'm sure they can with their loyal CA following as well as with their connecting traffic.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Aggressive indeed, but these are all large existing markets, so they should be pretty low risk.
Also certainly helps they are all primary U.S. point of sale, something SWA should be able to handle much easier.

barney captain

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 pm

I wonder how or if this will impact the existing SNA-PVR/SJD service. Are both sustainable?
Southeast Of Disorder

NickLAX

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:43 pm

SNA-Mexico is sustainable considering most near SNA want to avoid LAX for short/mid haul flights. However will WN trade if they don't have equipment to cover both. Opens the door for AS to grow at SNA with their Mexico service.

travelin man

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Odd that they would choose 2x daily on CUN and 1x PVR. PVR is a much more popular destination from SoCal.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Keep in mind the SNA-Mexico flights are part of a 3-year incentive program the county offered Southwest, so pulling out would leave money on the table.
As I recall the agreement run tills December 31, 2017, and under the terms pulling the flights would also cause the airline to lose the authorized departure slots that go with it, and also require airline to reimburse airport for credits received.

hiflyeras

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 5):
Odd that they would choose 2x daily on CUN and 1x PVR. PVR is a much more popular destination from SoCal.

Definitely...2x daily LAX-CUN seems a bit much. With five airlines already on the route I'm not sure how much traffic they'll steal off of DL, UA, VX, AM and Interjet.

N1120A

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:10 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 3):

I wonder how or if this will impact the existing SNA-PVR/SJD service. Are both sustainable?

Beyond the incentives they get for running them, remember the draw SNA gets from the traffic around there, and also northern San Diego County.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:16 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 5):

In local O&D demand both CUN and SJD have higher demand than PVR, by a pretty good margin.

737tanker

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:53 pm

Since WN is not growing the fleet I'm just wondering which domestic flights are going to be cut in order to provide aircraft for these flights.

airliner371

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:01 am

Quoting 737tanker (Reply 10):
Since WN is not growing the fleet I'm just wondering which domestic flights are going to be cut in order to provide aircraft for these flights.

Since they announced they would be applying for these routes in the last schedule extension, my guess is there is already space in the schedule for these flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos