Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

Horizon Air Warned By FDA About Lack Of Sinks

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:53 am

No hand-washing, no ice: Horizon Air warned by FDA about lack of sinks on its planes

The FDA sent a warning letter to Horizon Air, saying it did not have suitable bathrooms for employees to serve ice with drinks or food. The company’s 76-seat airplanes do not have sinks for hand-washing.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...about-lack-of-sinks-on-its-planes/
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

superjeff

RE: Horizon Air Warned By FDA About Lack Of Sinks

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:58 am

Many airlines' propjet equipment (and some jets) don't have sinks. They typically have wet-wipes available with a disinfectant solution. This is much ado about nothing, IMHO.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:16 am

I was wondering if they are going after the airlines that have Regional Jets if they don't have sinks for hand washing.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

C767P

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:59 am

Potable water is disgusting, I rather have no sinks and hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes.

PDX88

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:56 am

How dumb. Sani-wipes and/or gloves are just as effective. Besides, how many times have you seen the FAs wash their hands in the lav before they begin drink service?

chrisair

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:00 am

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 4):
Sani-wipes and/or gloves are just as effective.

In 150+ QX flights over a 6 year period, I don't think I've ever seen a FA wear gloves during the service.

Trash pickup? All the time. Never seen it during the drink service. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it...

PDX88

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 5):
In 150+ QX flights over a 6 year period, I don't think I've ever seen a FA wear gloves during the service.

I'm saying they could just be required to use gloves in lieu of being banned of serving ice altogether.

msp747

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 5):

Trash pickup? All the time. Never seen it during the drink service. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it...
Quoting PDX88 (Reply 6):
I'm saying they could just be required to use gloves in lieu of being banned of serving ice altogether.

Up until this point, they didn't wear gloves. But at the end of the article, it quotes an Alaska Airlines statement, saying flight attendants will now be required to wear gloves after they sanitize them.

I guess I never use the lavatory on the Q400, because in all the flights I've taken on QX, I never noticed they didn't have sinks.

moo

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Its worth noting that many people arent aware that hand sanitizer gels, lotions and wipes are not effective against many D&V bugs, such as Norovirus - only hand washing with soap and water will do it.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:17 pm

If anyone wants to really understand food safety read to longish chapter in volume 1 of Modernist Cuisine.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Airnerd

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 pm

On many of the shorter QX Q400 flights the drink service is quite limited anyway. On PDX-SEA for example, the standard choices are: water, apple juice, beer, wine. None of those options really needs ice, to my point of view.
Karl.

sldispatcher

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 8):
Its worth noting that many people arent aware that hand sanitizer gels, lotions and wipes are not effective against many D&V bugs, such as Norovirus

That's not entirely true. There may be truth that PROPER handwashing may be superior, to say that the wipes/hand gels are ineffective is just not correct.

cschleic

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Do all Q400s lack sinks in the lavs?

moo

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Quoting sldispatcher (Reply 11):
That's not entirely true. There may be truth that PROPER handwashing may be superior, to say that the wipes/hand gels are ineffective is just not correct.

Actually, it is entirely true - the disinfectant used in hand gels and wipes does not kill most D&V bugs, but it kills most everything else. Norovirus in particular is extremely hardy, and only good hand washing with hot water and soap will get rid of it, alcohol wipes and consumer grade disinfectants wont kill it (which is why its so contagious).

Cessna172RG

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:01 pm

I used to work for Food and Beverage at QX. Although it was a few years ago, let me give you some first hand insight:

Q400s have sinks but they are inop. Instead, they get some generic sub-par quality hand sanitizer bottles next to the faucet. (Same thing happened on the 200s, but the CR7s had fully functioning sinks).

The ground crews handling the ice machines often don't wash their hands before bagging the ice, and it's not uncommon for them to have just taken out all the galley trash to the compactor before sitting down to bag ice for the drinks. No gloves...

Ground crews were supposed to wear gloves when handling the trash before putting on the food service. This doesn't happen as often as you think it would.

Flight attendants handle the trash and food/drink service with no gloves (maybe now they do per that article, but prior to that...no way).

Not all planes got ice scoops, usually FAs would use the beverage cup that they would serve the customer to scoop up ice for their drink order.

While the ground food & beverage folks were required to have a food handler's card, at least in Seattle, the only rule that was actively followed was the four inch clearance between the floor and shelving.

The food and beverage carts have space in the back to keep the trash bags from the plane. It's not uncommon to go through the trash for magazines or to rebalance the bags so they don't fly out while driving on the ramp, then reaching for a bag of ice to give to a flight attendant without washing inbetween.

What really needs sinks are those food and beverage carts on the ramp. They go months without being washed, especially the trash bins in the back.

So...before you blame the flight attendant for having dirty hands, think about where that bag of ice came from an hour before your flight...and who might have touched it and where those hands were at before the ice was bagged.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

B737900

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 4):
Besides, how many times have you seen the FAs wash their hands in the lav before they begin drink service?

Well, you wouldn't know if they washed their hands or not would you? I always close the door when I go the restroom.
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

tonystan

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 pm

There are sinks in the toilets right?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

N1120A

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Quoting dc10lover (Reply 2):

I was wondering if they are going after the airlines that have Regional Jets if they don't have sinks for hand washing

Most RJs have working sinks.

Quoting moo (Reply 13):
Actually, it is entirely true - the disinfectant used in hand gels and wipes does not kill most D&V bugs, but it kills most everything else. Norovirus in particular is extremely hardy, and only good hand washing with hot water and soap will get rid of it, alcohol wipes and consumer grade disinfectants wont kill it (which is why its so contagious).

Exactly

Quoting cschleic (Reply 12):
Do all Q400s lack sinks in the lavs?

The UAX ones worked
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EA CO AS

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 6):
I'm saying they could just be required to use gloves

This.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DesertFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 am

Good to know in addition to armchair CEOs, we also have a bunch of food safety experts here on A.net.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:03 am

Quoting B737900 (Reply 15):
I always close the door when I go the restroom.

Not everyone does that.

moo

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:49 am

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 19):

Good to know in addition to armchair CEOs, we also have a bunch of food safety experts here on A.net.

Actually, my wife is a doctor, and we had a similar discussion about hand sanitizers a few months ago - infection control is a massive thing in hospitals, and she has to pass a course on it annually. So I listened to her, checked it out for myself and now I dont rely on hand sanitizers.

Infection control and running airlines are entirely different things - everyone is supposed to know something about infection control, thats why you are taught to wash your hands after you toilet as a child...

PDX88

Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 15):
Well, you wouldn't know if they washed their hands or not would you? I always close the door when I go the restroom.

I think I was clear in saying I don't see them go into the lav to wash their hands before serving drinks.

DesertFlyer

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 21):
Actually, my wife is a doctor, and we had a similar discussion about hand sanitizers a few months ago - infection control is a massive thing in hospitals, and she has to pass a course on it annually. So I listened to her, checked it out for myself and now I dont rely on hand sanitizers.

Absolutely! I agree. I was referring to the people saying this is nonsense and hand sanitizer is enough. I work from time to time dealing with hospitals and infection control, and the worst bugs are not even impacted by hand sanitizer anymore. Not to mention visibly soiled hands should cannot be effectively cleaned by hand sanitizer. I think the FDA is in the right here.

F9Animal

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 pm

This isn't just a QX issue. QX has responded and added corrective measures to solve the concern. I couldn't imagine potable water would be the best option to wash hands! LOL!
I Am A Different Animal!!

CRJ900

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Quoting dc10lover (Thread starter):
No hand-washing, no ice: Horizon Air warned by FDA about lack of sinks on its planes

Hasn't QX flown these planes for 15 years already and they first notice this now?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos