Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

QR To Launch LAS Next Year

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:38 am

Qatar Airways will start flights to Las Vegas in January 2017. Aircraft will be 777-300ER.

Source IATA summit http://twitter.com/AirFlottau/status/738665740862140416

[Edited 2016-06-03 02:40:29]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

sirdanilot

RE: QR To Launch LAS Next Year

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 am

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):

Interesting that such an airline chooses such a 'haram' destination.

All for the money, I suppose.

Qatara340

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:56 am

Excellent choice; lots of tourists to Sin City!

Quoting sirdanilot (Reply 1):
Interesting that such an airline chooses such a 'haram' destination.

hahaha
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

B747forever

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 am

Wow, so LAS will be getting their first ME3 carrier. What kind of traffic are they going after?
Work Hard, Fly Right

klwright69

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 am

Wow I hope this is true..

By the way, "haram" means forbidden. Very cute.

Maybe we may eventually see an ME3 carrier in DEN.

B747forever

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 am

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 4):

Maybe we may eventually see an ME3 carrier in DEN.

If LAS can sustain a flight by the ME3 I expect DEN will also be able too. The question is who will be first there.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Revelation

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 am

Interesting. I just posted the following to the current Irish thread:

http://twitter.com/MaxABEd/status/738665396623036416 from Max Kingsley-Jones says:

Quote:
Qatar will launch Dublin and Las Vegas next year, and possibly Belfast: Akbar Al Baker #iataagm

And http://twitter.com/R_Wall/status/738665632577753089 from Robert Wall says:

Quote:
Qatar Airways boss not interested in more Airbus A380s, A350-1000 stretch

so apparently already ordered airframes will be used to service the route.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

avi8

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:45 am

EK launches a leisure hot spot: MCO

QR: does the same but on the other side of the country.

These two gentlemen (QR and EK) are seriously trying to anticipate and prevent each other's next move. Long live competition!
avi8

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:49 am

And in other news Emirates will launch LAS in October  

In markets such as IAD and AKL EK was not shy in jumping on their competitors and suddenly barging into the market before the announced launch date. If they don't bother (ATL? PHL?) it's probably a good sign that it isn't going to be a money maker.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Eirules

Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:55 am

Great to see QR launching DUB. No surprise really given their shareholding in IAG & EI now being part of the group. I can't see EY, EK & QR all surviving however
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

IndianicWorld

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Sorry but this LAS flight has madness written all over it.

Limited market and low-yielding traffic for what demand does exist makes it a route that is better served by other connections.

EK's MCO route was strange but it still could appeal to a broader potential market by leveraging the B6 connectivity in particular to boost traffic.

behramjee

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:30 pm

EK has done quite well out of MCO on a S/F basis point of view + with B6 having a decently sized hub there also helps out.

As far as QR at LAS is concerned, operating nonstop for them has no commercial justification with the B77W. It would be best if they flew it via an EU airport with 5th freedom rights such as CDG or AMS whom currently do not see nonstop service into LAS !

On the other hand, knowing how rapidly EK responded to QR's AKL-DOH nonstop announcement within a few days only, I will not be surprised at all if EK end up flying into LAS months ahead of QR especially since LAS's brand and marketing appeal relates easily to the way EK wants itself to be projected too.

dubaiamman243

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Quoting Eirules (Reply 9):

and possibly Belfast
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

SCQ83

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 10):
EK's MCO route was strange but it still could appeal to a broader potential market by leveraging the B6 connectivity in particular to boost traffic.

Also Orlando is a larger local market and there are many Middle Easterns going to college or living in Central Florida. I never thought Dubai-Orlando as a "weird" route... Doha-Las Vegas... that is something else  

BestWestern

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Arabs, Malaysians and Indians love to gamble and holiday. Vegas offers a great combination for tourism, real estate and conferences so don't write off the route just yet.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

airzona11

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 pm

I am not sure that Las Vegas is such a low yielding destination. There are awesome resorts, golf etc. On top of the typical Vegas gambling and partying.

It wont be a premium heavy configuration, QRs 77Ws already are not. With a big enough hub on the other end, should be sustainable

Revelation

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
Arabs, Malaysians and Indians love to gamble and holiday.

Not to mention visiting strip clubs and using prostitutes, just like most other humans...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

United_fan

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:50 pm

I wonder if the 777 will have any trouble in the 115 degree heat ? I suppose not because Qatar is hot.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

B747forever

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:00 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Not to mention visiting strip clubs and using prostitutes, just like most other humans...

Huh, since when does most humans like those things?
Work Hard, Fly Right

Ytraveller

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Thought I was going to faint reading that title..... I could never have imagined this as a LAS resident. However, *daily* flights with the *77W* leave me skeptical... If MCO started as and is still a 77L then I think LAS should be the same.

International traffic has been rising rapidly at LAS - a 93% increase from 2004 to 2011. In the past ten years we've seen BA, KE, DY, WK, CM arrive. A new international terminal was opened in 2012 and seven domestic gates are currently being converted to international ones.

BA flies 11x weekly 747s from Heathrow currently - they're getting a good amount of the connecting traffic. Also note this quote from this article:

"Visitation also has more than doubled from developing Asian countries such as India and the Philippines, Eastern Europe/Central Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. Visitation has more than tripled from the Middle East and Northern Africa."

http://vegasinc.com/business/real-es...l-travel-has-been-boon-las-vegas-/

Now is this enough to support daily 77Ws? I doubt it... LAS has a very small local market compared to other cities. A small South Asian population but there are many Filipinos (PR once flew here via YVR), but they'd probably prefer flying over the Pacific unless the prices are low.

All in all, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm really excited but don't want to be overly optimistic.

airzona11

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
Arabs, Malaysians

During the summer months and holidays - really Memorial Day and July 4th, the largest tabs at the pool parties / clubs / restaurants are always (or commonly) from guests from Malaysia / Middle East.

The amount of conventions most certainly will drive a lot traffic that is already double connecting other hubs.

SCQ83

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:42 pm

I think what this DOH-LAS flight proves is that the ME3 are running out of ideas (or main airports) in the US and it will be sooner than later that they expand in more secondary airports. Flights from Denver, Detroit, Portland, San Diego, Austin... are probably closer than we could have thought not long ago.

AABB777

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Wow, this took me by surprise. I just don't see how QR can continue expansion in the US with their huge reliance on India-bound traffic. QR cannot expand further in India under the current bilateral, so adding more flights that depend on this traffic is only growing the bottleneck in DOH. Also, LAS does not appear to be a top five feeder market for any current US gateway. Where will the traffic come from?

[Edited 2016-06-03 08:49:37]

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:05 pm

I think LAS will work for a ME3. Might not work for QR but i bet Emirates could make it work at least with a stop in Europe. Not a real shock there one of the ME3 was gonna go into LAS.

Que the a.net no one visits LAS except for Americans false rants lol

Ytraveller

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 22):
Where will the traffic come from?

- Tourists from Middle East, India, Southeast Asia (see my post #19)

- Possibly the large Filipino population in LAS

- Europeans wanting to backtrack? Although they can just fly through LHR with BA

jetwet1

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 10):
Limited market and low-yielding traffic for what demand does exist makes it a route that is better served by other connections.

Limited market, yes
Low yielding, years ago maybe, now it's not the case.
Better served by connections....Maybe.

It's a strange route for sure, but hey, give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen, QR sends a 388 on the first flight only to find they have to remote park.

Travelmanager

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Convention business in Vegas is booming. Don't underestimate the demand for a couple hundred people a day from a hub (DOH) that connects most corners of the world. This may not be as low yield as some of you think.

enilria

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
Qatar Airways will start flights to Las Vegas in January 2017. Aircraft will be 777-300ER.

Source IATA summit http://twitter.com/AirFlottau/status...40416

This is the first ME3 destination announced in a very long time. I wonder if they had been holding back for political reasons and the recent kerfuffle in ATL was the straw that broke the camel's back...?

blr380

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 25):

Me thinks this is a smart move. Great to see the first (unless EK beats them) ME3 carrier to LAS - one of my favorite destinations.
Do not underestimate the global reach by these ME3 players and the booming economies of Asia. Destinations line MCO and LAS can stimulate additional traffic. Millions of asians now can afford honeymooning in places like LAS and don't mind spending a fortune. Convention travel is not low-yield - companies pay a ton of money for their groups to be represented in major conventions. I very much agree that QR will have no problems in filling 200+ people daily to LAS from their extensive reach. I am sure QR has done their homework in reaching out to resorts for packages and attracting global tourists.
Finally, LAS is booming as well - thanks to companies setting up campuses in NV with a 2+ million population in the metro area. If priced right, people don't mind traveling to LAS for a long haul flight to Asia / ME/ Africa. LAS is nicely positioned to attract flyers from PHX and FLG.
The only downside is LAS has no feed on its end and the only OneWorld partner (AA) has limited reach.

a380787

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:01 pm

for miraculous reasons, QR is *still* avoiding SFO like the plague, even though most international carriers, regardless of alliance, is flocking to it. Both EK and EY are there so I see no reason why QR isn't.

cougar15

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 22):
Wow, this took me by surprise. I just don't see how QR can continue expansion in the US with their huge reliance on India-bound traffic.

it always baffles me that in each & every one of these threads, my US friends think the ME3 are only in the US to serve Indians VFR traffic, where does this myth come from? they build their markets - and I will never tire saying it, as they have done everywhere else on this earth!

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 24):
Quoting AABB777 (Reply 22):Where will the traffic come from?

- Europeans wanting to backtrack? Although they can just fly through LHR with BA

Exactly, among others!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

LAX772LR

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 5):
If LAS can sustain a flight by the ME3 I expect DEN will also be able too

Market wise, maybe.

Performance wise is another issue, especially on the eastbound.
The only thing that could reliably do it is a 77L, and EK's only got ten, six of which would be committed to ULHs that only they can perform (including this)... so it'd hamper their ability to launch new routes.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 18):
Huh, since when does most humans like those things?

Aww, how precious... lemme guess, before even looking at your profile, that you're a teenager or early 20something?
If so, come back in about 20yrs, and let us know what you've discovered.    
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

crownvic

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm

The U.S, carriers have avoided international flying out of LAS, so kudos to the foreign airlines, that think out of the box. All three big U.S. airlines (DL, AA and UA) want to push everyone through their archaic hub thinking, rather than attempting any point to point international flying. Shame on them.. While I thought DL would eventually launch NRT, it never happened and definitely won't happen now, as they wind down this hub. Secondly, I thought EK would be the first ME3 at LAS, as rumors had been floating around of their impending announcement. Too much "sleeping at the wheel" with airlines at LAS, that continue to think it is solely a leisure market.

With a lot of cargo coming off the west coast to the ME, I am sure that QR will use LAS as an overflow market and truck goods there, when their LAX freight is heavy. It is quite similar to what QR does in their JFK/PHL operation.

FCAFLYBOY

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Great news! Congrats to QR and LAS and to consumers. Now let's see if the armchair CEO's (the few anyway) of you based in the USA can keep up with and cope the ME3 "stealing" all your passengers . This is tongue in cheek of course, but to the few that believe the EU carriers can't manage with the competition (they can and are of course) it's over to you for your turn now.

migair54

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 24):

Few European will go to LAS via DOH. it's a non sense, too many options via Europe or any USA hub.

Quoting a380787 (Reply 29):
for miraculous reasons, QR is *still* avoiding SFO like the plague, even though most international carriers, regardless of alliance, is flocking to it. Both EK and EY are there so I see no reason why QR isn't.

And I don't understand why, because SFO is a big market with a good mix of pax, maybe they want LAS over SFO to open a market with no ME competitor.

Capt.Fantastic

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 32):
While I thought DL would eventually launch NRT, it never happened and definitely won't happen now,

Well, Northwest did try LAS-NRT in the late '90s- it didn't last very long.

With OneWorld partner AA just down the road, I'm a bit surprised they selected LAS over connection feed in PHX

pasu129

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Quoting airzona11 (Reply 15):
I am not sure that Las Vegas is such a low yielding destination. There are awesome resorts, golf etc. On top of the typical Vegas gambling and partying.

You forgot all the conventioneers visiting LAS during convention season. Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is one of the biggest convention in LAS. As well as other conventions throughout the year. QR is a great airline and also a OneWorld member, which has a major presence in LAS by AA. As for demographics of visitors, I'd imagine MidEast and South Asian countries visitors.
Viva Las Vegas

a380787

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 36):

You forgot all the conventioneers visiting LAS during convention season. Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is one of the biggest convention in LAS. As well as other conventions throughout the year. QR is a great airline and also a OneWorld member, which has a major presence in LAS by AA. As for demographics of visitors, I'd imagine MidEast and South Asian countries visitors.

Other than a few global ones like CES, the conventions at LAS heavily skew the domestic variety, so that type of traffic would hardly make a dent from QR's perspective.

peanuts

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:52 pm

As Trump befuddles many so are ME3.

There's huge demand. And they will also create most of it. Sorta like the WN effect from back in the days. Or call it the H1B effect   

The rules of the games are being changed as we speak.

ushermittwoch

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Personally, I can't wait to backtrack with one of the ME3 from Germany to DEN.  
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

cruiseshipcrew

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas should make a long jetway from their hotel straight to door 1L on this plane with door 2L going to the airport. Great news for Las Vegas.

N14AZ

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
Not to mention visiting strip clubs and using prostitutes, just like most other humans.

Shi...., so I am a robot... (well, I should have known, N14AZ sounds almost like C3PO)

mjoelnir

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 31):
Performance wise is another issue, especially on the eastbound.
The only thing that could reliably do it is a 77L, and EK's only got ten, six of which would be committed to ULHs that only they can perform (including this)... so it'd hamper their ability to launch new routes

If Emirates moves dxb - akl to an A380, it will kick lose 1 or 2 777-200LR.

A 777-300ER should make dxb - las, or dxb - den, at least with some empty seats. An A380 will do it anyway.

MCOGVADCA

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:32 pm

First MCO, now LAS! Great get, Vegas!
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

pasu129

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 37):
Other than a few global ones like CES, the conventions at LAS heavily skew the domestic variety

According to who? Medical, Marketing, Hotel, Gaming, Interior Designs, and other industries all have conventions in Las Vegas.
Viva Las Vegas

willd

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 13):

Exactly. MCO wasn't/isn't odd especially when you look back and notice that SV managed a 744 service into MCO 20 odd years ago. So demand from ME passengers has always been there. Couple that with B6, increased mobility of ME citizens (college etc), increase in Central Florida business etc etc etc and this seemed almost s no brainier for EK. I love how the arm chair CEOs of a.net think that a multi million, successful company might make mistakes. That view point ignores the fact that EK have far cleverer people and a heck of a lot more data than any of us do. In fact it's quite insulting to think they are making a mistake when launching to somewhere like MCO. Same applies to all the QR LAS criticisers.

pasu129

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting willd (Reply 45):
Same applies to all the QR LAS criticisers.

Agreed!
Viva Las Vegas

AABB777

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 30):
it always baffles me that in each & every one of these threads, my US friends think the ME3 are only in the US to serve Indians VFR traffic, where does this myth come from? they build their markets - and I will never tire saying it, as they have done everywhere else on this earth!

It's well known that QR relies heavily on ISC traffic for their US flights, and this has not changed since they launched service to the USA in 2007. I see no evidence that QR has been able to expand beyond the ISC VFR market in any significant way ex USA. Top markets beyond DOH continue to be HYD, MAA, BLR, COK, BOM, AMD, GOI and DEL with little changes or new-market growth.

MKIAZ

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 32):
With a lot of cargo coming off the west coast to the ME, I am sure that QR will use LAS as an overflow market and truck goods there, when their LAX freight is heavy. It is quite similar to what QR does in their JFK/PHL operation.

That's a looooong flight for a 77W though. And seeing as how LAS can get very hot and isn't at sea level, I'm not so sure there will be much weight left for cargo - especially during the summer.

mjoelnir

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Quoting MKIAZ (Reply 48):
That's a looooong flight for a 77W though. And seeing as how LAS can get very hot and isn't at sea level, I'm not so sure there will be much weight left for cargo - especially during the summer.

What cargo would you bring out of LAS that pays for the effort.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos