DeltaB717

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 142

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:55 pm

allrite wrote:
So, Qantas has at most a couple of years to add a European destination if it wants to say it flies to Europe. :D

No, they have at most a couple of years to add a destination on the Continent or in the Republic of Ireland (or Scotland, maybe, depending) if it wants to say it flies to the European Union. In terms of physical geography, it will take millions of years, if at all, to remove the UK from Europe.

allrite

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:32 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:
In terms of physical geography, it will take millions of years, if at all, to remove the UK from Europe.

Now, now if we are going to get down to tectonics Qantas has plenty of flights to the Eurasian plate. :)

However, it will be interesting to see the impact of these Brexit shenanigans on Qantas in the longer term. Interesting times and what not.
I like artificial banana essence!

TruemanQLD

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 am

So since no one uses this anymore, care to share what website we are using (if one exists)...

On an aviation note, Malindo Air flights KUL-DPS-BNE have been appearing in some BNE flight arrival and departure boards/apps over last couple of days as a 0510 arrival into BNE as OD157 and a 0845 departure back to DPS/KUL as OD158. Obviously an error as flights haven't even been announced but seems an announcement is imminent.

cx777fan

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:32 am

I second that question. What/where is the new a.net? I spend a lot more time at flyertalk these days, and at AFF, but neither of them offer a nice round up and lively banter like this one used to :-(

RIP Airiners.net

luftaom

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Given that EY are capped out on their UAE-Germany bilateral and EY are capped out on their AU bilateral (at least for the regulated cities) I suspect that at some point we will see:

AY restarting Italy-Australia (MXP/FCO-AUH-SYD/MEL) in some form of cooperation with EY. I would tip MEL over SYD because the lack of curfew means that there are a few more options for an immediate turnaround for the flight back to Europe and getting the plane back in circulation in Europe.

QF restarting Australia-Germany (???-DXB-TXL) once the 789s arrive in some form of cooperation with EK. I say TXL because BER probably won't be open before 2030.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

cougar15

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:13 pm

cx777fan wrote:
I second that question. What/where is the new a.net? I spend a lot more time at flyertalk these days, and at AFF, but neither of them offer a nice round up and lively banter like this one used to :-(

RIP Airiners.net

bloody depressing, isn`t . vastly reduced my Forum visits since the change, but was at least hoping this thread still had some life in it. visiting it for the first time in over a week, it just confirms the overall sad state of affairs....
some you lose, others you can´t win!

6thfreedom

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:45 am

TruemanQLD wrote:
So since no one uses this anymore, care to share what website we are using (if one exists)...

On an aviation note, Malindo Air flights KUL-DPS-BNE have been appearing in some BNE flight arrival and departure boards/apps over last couple of days as a 0510 arrival into BNE as OD157 and a 0845 departure back to DPS/KUL as OD158. Obviously an error as flights haven't even been announced but seems an announcement is imminent.

Have heard the same rumour, but suspect slots in Bali would be the biggest issue.

luftaom wrote:
AY restarting Italy-Australia (MXP/FCO-AUH-SYD/MEL) in some form of cooperation with EY. I would tip MEL over SYD because the lack of curfew means that there are a few more options for an immediate turnaround for the flight back to Europe and getting the plane back in circulation in Europe.

Do you mean AZ (Alitalia) rather than AY (Finnair)?

Given the double daily connections FCO-MEL with EY, the curfew actually plays very little part.
Departing MEL between 2300 and 0600 will not provide any benefits to the current schedule given the current 1500 and 2200 departures ex - MEL.

any new service would sit on top of an existing one, assuming that EY would want AZ to hit it's current hub banks in AUH.

Given the A380 currently covers the 2200 departure from AUH and 06:00 arrival into AUH, AZ could possibly bolster the morning bank ex AUH and create a new noon bank on the return.

FCO 2330- 0735 AUH 940 - 0510 + 1 MEL

MEL 0630 - 1430 AUH 1530 - 1910 FCO

luftaom

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 am

Sorry yes I meant AZ.
I suspect that the AZ service would replace an EY service - which would then free up a frequency in the bilateral for something else.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

kriskim

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:16 am

I think EY would want to be at least x2 daily at both MEL and SYD, both currently see a daily A380 and 77W each. In order to be competitive with QR and EK, a third daily flight for each is not too out of the question either and that might be where AZ comes in for MEL and SYD. Either way the AZ flight will need to meet up with either FCO or MXP.

MEL:
EK (x3 daily DXB), QF (x1 daily DXB), EY (x2 daily AUH), QR (x1 daily DOH) = 7 daily

SYD:
EK (x3 daily DXB), QF (x1 daily DXB), EY (x2 daily AUH), QR (x1 daily DOH) = 7 daily
A world built upon connectivity.

qf2220

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:15 pm

I agree - this site has become less friendly to use. I wonder what the page visit and posting stats are now and whether the site owners are regretting the decision.

For me, it was not a broken site - why change it??

mariner

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
I agree - this site has become less friendly to use. I wonder what the page visit and posting stats are now and whether the site owners are regretting the decision.

I don't think it's less user friendly - I think it's just "differently" friendly. I find things easier to do than on the old site, such as embedding photos in threads, and I like the control it gives me over the look - the font size and colour.

It took a bit of getting used to, and a lot of help from some of the mods and other members, but now it's a breeze for me. But then - I seem to be one of the few who hated the blue background. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

TruemanQLD

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:50 am

mariner wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I don't think it's less user friendly - I think it's just "differently" friendly. I find things easier to do than on the old site, such as embedding photos in threads, and I like the control it gives me over the look - the font size and colour.

It took a bit of getting used to, and a lot of help from some of the mods and other members, but now it's a breeze for me. But then - I seem to be one of the few who hated the blue background. :-)

mariner

I don't really have an opinion either way on the new site, it is more that people aren't using it.

Virgin has just announced that they will be selling off TT's fleet of A320s and replacing them with ex-VA 737-800s. Also the news article seems to imply they will be selling the E190 fleet but not sure if this just covers what was already announced and some will remain.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 64ab3074bb

mariner

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:28 am

TruemanQLD wrote:
I don't really have an opinion either way on the new site, it is more that people aren't using it.

Indeed, and that puzzled me. I accept that there are those who don't like the new site, partly, perhaps, because it's such a big change from the old site and it takes some getting used to - assuming anyone wants to get used to it.

But I did some checking around and there really hasn't been a great deal happening in Australian civil aviation the last couple of weeks. I Googled Qantas and Virgin Australia in News several times, but didn't get very much, nothing worth starting a thread about.

The Qantas/Cobham deal was good stuff, but that got its own thread.

Otherwise, apart from the unsurprising Virgin/A320 link you posted, I think it's all been a bit quiet. I assume that will change. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

qfvhoqa

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:29 am

TruemanQLD wrote:
Virgin has just announced that they will be selling off TT's fleet of A320s and replacing them with ex-VA 737-800s. Also the news article seems to imply they will be selling the E190 fleet but not sure if this just covers what was already announced and some will remain.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 64ab3074bb

The selling of the E190 fleet was previously announced, but TT moving to a 737 fleet is news. Interestingly they are only exiting the TT A320s, not the VARA A320s. The latest A320 arrived less than 12 months ago, so I wonder if they will have high lease exit costs?
Will this be the first time that 189-seat 738s enter the Australian market?

777Jet

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:18 am

TruemanQLD wrote:

I don't use another forum. Most forums I have enjoyed over the years have gotten worse so I have pretty much given up on forums after this. I now only check this site a few time a week instead of a few times a day. I used to make 8 or so posts a day on average and since the upgrade I make about 5 or so posts a week. But the upgrade was a blessing in disguise because I have now joined a gym and I am getting in shape. I've never felt better or healthier. Thank you demand media and a.net for giving me the push I needed to spend more time in the real world and do more important things.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

jrfspa320

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 am

Yes, the forum has taken a bit of a dive sadly, but not just our thread, but across the board. The user friendliness is terrible

qf2220

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:52 am

mariner wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

mariner

I respect you mariner but I think your post shows that the site was not an upgrade - you needed a lot of help to get used to it.

The following are just some of issues I find:

- New space between topics wastes screen space and leads to scrolling that was not required on the old layout
- I cannot stay logged in for long periods of time. previously I would be logged in for days and days. Now I'm lucky to stay logged in fo ran hour, on varous devices
- When I do log in, I go back to the home page instead of where I tried to log in from (eg this thread)
- The new posts alert mechanism is less obvious than the former
- Quoting different posts in the thread is now more complicated than before

As to a point in a later post of yours - ive missed the QF/Cobham thing and ill have to go check it out! The forum unfriendliness I may give part attribution to to discourage me from coming here.

As to the TT A320s, surely the VARA ones will go too. Id suspect they're just working out how they'll do it.

Re

mariner

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
mariner wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
I respect you mariner but I think your post shows that the site was not an upgrade - you needed a lot of help to get used to it.

Simply because it was - for me - a new computer language, and I'm old and count myself as computer illiterate and some of the help I got was pretty basic. I use a Mac, I've never had to right click in my life - LOL - I didn't even know I could. Thanks to another member, I know now. :-)

It took me some time to get used to all the processes of the old website - embedding a photo in a post, for example. It's still only a two step process, as its was before, but the first step is now, I think, easier.

As for the rest, (a) scrolling doesn't bother me, it isn't exactly arduous.

(b) I didn't stay logged in at first but I guess some work has been done on that bug, because I'm staying logged in most of the time now, even if I go away to other sites and then come back. A couple of days ago I had to restart my computer and when I came back I was still logged in.

(c) Because I have this thread (among others) bookmarked, I know immediately if there are new messages in my all bookmarked threads, they're all up there in the little bell, top right, next to "Welcome, mariner."

If I click on the drop down menu that appears from the little bell it take me immediately to that new post.

I also find the marking of threads easy- either "View first unread post" before I open the thread or "view first unread post" when I've opened the thread.

(d) I had that problem at first, but as I got used to the system it became easier and easier. There's a post about how to make it even easier in "Site Related - Site Upgrade Announcement and Discussion" - a post by HGL. I agree that what is missing is post numbering, so I can't give you the number of that post, but supposedly they're working on that.

Did I get help? Sure. Being computer illiterate meant that things that were obvious to others were Greek to me, but I might not have needed that help if I had bothered to read "New Site - FAQ" properly.

I had problems with legibility at first - that small grey font on a white ground - but then I learned how to change my font colour (and could change the size) and I'm sweet.

However much we all became used to the old site, it took me some time to get it all sorted out because it was - for me - a different computer language from that with which I was familiar, as this is. The process was speedier - for me - on this site. Once I twigged to the basic concept - and changing my wretched "skull" avatar, the first thing I did - helped me to understand the language. Mostly, I was relieved that the old blue background had gone (although there are rumours of its return - alas - majority rule).

But - each to their own, always. I'm having a good time.

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:20 pm

I have to admire John Borghetti's golden tongue. Having persuaded his investors to let him spend money like a drunken sailor on his first night of shore leave, he has now persuaded most (not all) of those investors to dig Virgin Australia out of the financial hole that he dug for it.

In New York it would be called chutzpah, an old Yiddish word meaning "cheek."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-06/v ... te/7572942

"Virgin Australia launches capital raising, expects profit between $30 to $60m"

Sounds like good news, yes? Except that it doesn't include:

"But, the result would not include between $90 to $100 million of restructuring costs, between $155 to $175 million of balance sheet impairments associated with its "better business program", and other restructuring charges.

Virgin said the total charges are expected be between $410 to $450 million for the full-year period."

I just shake my head in wonder. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

aerohottie

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:18 pm

As time passes I become more secure in the opinion that Air NZ have dodged a bullet... What a mess...
What?

Zkpilot

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:44 am

Have to agree with you.
Looks like things are tough in Australia at the moment. QFs share price has fallen from $4.25 to $2.75 also (although QF is posting solid profits now that it has magically had a turnaround now that it got concessions from the government and following massive writedowns.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

a320fan

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 am

Sadly I too have been one of those visiting here a lot less, mainly because the colour scheme and overall design is painful and annoying to use. Which is sad as there are a lot of improvements moving to this forum software, the let down is just in the aesthetics chosen. It does not retain the A.net feel in anyway.

The news is slow at the moment. But this VA/TT thing with the A320's going is big news! How many 737's are they getting? and will this lead to a net reduction in the VA branded fleet? (probably not a bad thing if TT is the better brand to use on some routes/frequency's)

I booked my first VA flights since the rebrand today. Cant believe it has taken me so long, but DJ was an airline a flew a lot and I grew my love for all things aviation flying DJ as a kid, so excited to finally see in person how that company has matured since I last flew them in 2010.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

zkncj

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:33 am

a320fan wrote:
The news is slow at the moment. But this VA/TT thing with the A320's going is big news! How many 737's are they getting? and will this lead to a net reduction in the VA branded fleet? (probably not a bad thing if TT is the better brand to use o some routes/frequency's)

Do they really need an second brand, or does the second brand just add to there already mountain of costs?

You can see why NZ probably wanted out so bad, with VA completely mixing and complicating everything.

While many people didn't think NZ's Seat2Suit was an great idea in 2010, its lasted well and is profitable. It allowed them to ditch the need for them to operate an LCC, and offset the LCC product by the high end passengers on an single A320.

qf789

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:40 am

a320fan wrote:
Sadly I too have been one of those visiting here a lot less, mainly because the colour scheme and overall design is painful and annoying to use. Which is sad as there are a lot of improvements moving to this forum software, the let down is just in the aesthetics chosen. It does not retain the A.net feel in anyway.

The news is slow at the moment. But this VA/TT thing with the A320's going is big news! How many 737's are they getting? and will this lead to a net reduction in the VA branded fleet? (probably not a bad thing if TT is the better brand to use on some routes/frequency's)

I booked my first VA flights since the rebrand today. Cant believe it has taken me so long, but DJ was an airline a flew a lot and I grew my love for all things aviation flying DJ as a kid, so excited to finally see in person how that company has matured since I last flew them in 2010.

TT currently has 14 A320's so I guess that will be around 14 737's they will receive. VA is due to receive its first 737MAX in 2018 so initially VA could reduce their fleet by a few until the 737MAX enters service in VA and then as a new aircraft arrives after 2018 a 737-800 can be transferred to TT.

I was also wondering if we could eventually see the 737MAX200 operated by TT in the future. Thoughts??
Forum Moderator

TruemanQLD

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:56 am

Singapore Airlines will codeshare on VA's 2x weekly Honiara service from 21 July

VA187/SQ6375 BNE0950 – 1405HIR 73H 24
VA186/SQ6374 HIR1450 – 1705BNE 73H 24

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... =hootsuite

On a side note, wasn't VA expanding HIR to 3x weekly? Or am I imagining things?

usflyer123

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:20 am

do you think QF have place to expand in the us/canadian market?(except for MEL-DFW).
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

qf2220

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 pm

I think the general consideration here is that yes,. Regarding Canada/Northwest we might see YVR (or possibly SEA) when the 789s arrive. Also when the 789s arrive there might be increases in frequencies on some routes. Some posters have some detailed forecasts that im sure they'll be along to post soon!

DeltaB717

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:24 pm

qf2220 wrote:
I think the general consideration here is that yes,. Regarding Canada/Northwest we might see YVR (or possibly SEA) when the 789s arrive. Also when the 789s arrive there might be increases in frequencies on some routes. Some posters have some detailed forecasts that im sure they'll be along to post soon!

QF, I think, is more likely to go with YVR than SEA. Sure they have arrangements with both Westjet and Alaska, but there's history with YVR and I dare say more connectivity to the rest of Canada. The connectivity to the US they already have through LAX, DFW and, to a lesser extent, SFO. FWIW, I think we're probably looking at MEL and/or BNE to DFW and perhaps either (a) increase MEL/BNE to LAX or (b) increase SYD-LAX.

Zkpilot

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:16 am

usflyer123 wrote:
do you think QF have place to expand in the us/canadian market?(except for MEL-DFW).

They could increase YVR especially Dec-Feb.
Otherwise I think they are probably a bit limited by distance (as in they can't really add places like ORD or JFK) so its really going to be MEL/SYD/BNE - LAX possibly add a BNE-SFO or DFW along with MEL-DFW if it works out ok range-wise. Capacity is only increasing especially if you include flights to New Zealand (UA and AA have both just started services to AKL and rumours are that NZ is looking to add another US destination - probably ORD/DEN/NYC which is possible since AKL is 2 hours flying time closer than SYD is).
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

kriskim

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:56 am

I hope the next AA/QF expansion phrase focuses around MEL!

QF launches MEL-DFW with 789
QF launches MEL-SFO with 789
AA launches MEL-LAX with 789 (replaces QF95/96)

I think these additions are quite reasonable?

SYD-YVR will likely go year round for QF, and possibly SYD-ORD down the track.
A world built upon connectivity.

IndianicWorld

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 am

^^ Seems a bit too aggressive when considering current service.

Dallas is the best chance when considering an alternative MEL destination in the USA on the Qantas/American network.
San Fransisco is more likely to stay as a SYD exclusive route or Qantas, but UA may come in and operate it, as it suits their network structure better.
American operating MEL- LAX is a possibility, but apparently their there have been some talk that their SYD services have had some challenges so not sure I see much happening in that regard at this point.

when considering the capacity on Australia/New Zealand-North America these days it may see a more conservative approach taken over the coming years become a bit more apparent.

sunrisevalley

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 am

[quote="qf2220"]I think the general consideration here is that yes,. Regarding Canada/Northwest we might see YVR (or possibly SEA) when the 789s arrive. ]
I f these are in the configuration that has been talked about they will not have enough seats and will be too premium oriented.

IndianicWorld

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:55 am

To do routes like Melbourne-Dallas they have to be a lesser density to make the range really.

Interesting times :)

qf002

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am

If these are in the configuration that has been talked about they will not have enough seats and will be too premium oriented.

Yes I agree. I think YVR would be better suited to a future regional configuration with less J and higher density Y.

I could see SEA being an option but not until next decade. I suspect that there is probably more corporate traffic there to support a year-round service compared to YVR and it could also be used to supplement a smaller aircraft on SYD-SFO if/when that time comes.

In terms of other routes, I think MEL/BNE-DFW are both very likely (with QF operating MEL and AA operating BNE). I like the idea of SYD-ORD later in the decade and it seems like the sort of route QF is tailoring their 787s for. But beyond that (plus something to the northwest) I don't see many other opportunities for now. I'll believe SYD-JFK when I see it.

usflyer123

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:50 am

Zkpilot wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

They could increase YVR especially Dec-Feb.
Otherwise I think they are probably a bit limited by distance (as in they can't really add places like ORD or JFK) so its really going to be MEL/SYD/BNE - LAX possibly add a BNE-SFO or DFW along with MEL-DFW if it works out ok range-wise. Capacity is only increasing especially if you include flights to New Zealand (UA and AA have both just started services to AKL and rumours are that NZ is looking to add another US destination - probably ORD/DEN/NYC which is possible since AKL is 2 hours flying time closer than SYD is).

well AKL-ORD seems like a good choice since ORD is a huge Star Alliance hub but unlike DEN i think it will have much more O&D traffic.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

sunrisevalley

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 am

[quote="usflyer123well AKL-ORD seems like a good choice since ORD is a huge Star Alliance hub but unlike DEN i think it will have much more O&D traffic.[/quote]

DEN is a non-starter. The payload hit is something like 17t for a 789.

eta unknown

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:05 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
^^ American operating MEL- LAX is a possibility, but apparently their there have been some talk that their SYD services have had some challenges so not sure I see much happening in that regard at this point.

I'm intrigued- what have you heard? The AA marketing plan seems to be let JV partner QF do all the work and we'll pay for our share of the advertising costs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some of the local team are out of their depth, but that's just me.

qf789

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:15 pm

TK is considering operating SYD and MEL flights via DPS

http://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-airline ... me-flipper
Forum Moderator

SonOfABeech

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:20 pm

qf789 wrote:
TK is considering operating SYD and MEL flights via DPS

http://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-airline ... me-flipper

I'll believe it when fare-paying TK passengers disembark in Australia.

qf789

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:37 am

From 1st September to 22 October 2016 SQ will use A350 on SQ207/208 to MEL

SQ207 SIN0745 – 1710MEL 359 D
SQ208 MEL1825 – 0015+1SIN 359 D

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... poct-2016/

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airli ... -melbourne
Forum Moderator

DeltaB717

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:12 am

From Qantas' Industry Sales website, both SYD-HVB and MEL-CFS nonstop services will cease with final services operating over the first weekend in August 2016. This will free up a B717 in MEL for a few hours on Saturdays and SYD for a few hours on Sundays, and a Q400 in SYD for a few hours on Saturdays.

Change is not yet reflected in online timetable nor online bookings at Qantas' website, including nothing obvious to suggest where the freed-up aircraft will be redeployed.

zkncj

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:05 am

qf2220 wrote:

I think we're more likely to see NZ in SEA, well before QF. QF has been very conservative with its North American expansion over the last couple of years. Yet NZ make SFO/YVR work well before Qantas gave either an decent go. Also with being able to make AKL-IAH go daily this North Winter just one year on from starting the route. NZ does AKL-YVR daily in the Northern Winter, and 4-5x weekly in North Summer.

AKL-SEA 3x weekly in NW16 with an 789 shouldn't to hard to fill, would have some appeal to people wanting to do an AKL-YVR/SEA-AKL loop. If you filled 30 seats an service from BNE/SYD/MEL thats already an 1/3 of the plane filled.

TruemanQLD

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:20 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
From Qantas' Industry Sales website, both SYD-HVB and MEL-CFS nonstop services will cease with final services operating over the first weekend in August 2016. This will free up a B717 in MEL for a few hours on Saturdays and SYD for a few hours on Sundays, and a Q400 in SYD for a few hours on Saturdays.

Change is not yet reflected in online timetable nor online bookings at Qantas' website, including nothing obvious to suggest where the freed-up aircraft will be redeployed.

Not that surprising, always seemed to have been fillers for when the aircraft weren't needed on more popular routes. MEL-CFS is once weekly and has been up against a (relatively) new competition from TT who operate it 4x a week. Similarly, with SYD-HVB they are up against a daily VA service.

Would CFS not be a potential JQ destination? Or too small? Are we likely to see any new JQ destinations in Australia now or will it more be a building of existing routes as well as new routes between existing ports?

TruemanQLD

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:27 am

zkncj wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I think we're more likely to see NZ in SEA, well before QF. QF has been very conservative with its North American expansion over the last couple of years. Yet NZ make SFO/YVR work well before Qantas gave either an decent go. Also with being able to make AKL-IAH go daily this North Winter just one year on from starting the route. NZ does AKL-YVR daily in the Northern Winter, and 4-5x weekly in North Summer.

AKL-SEA 3x weekly in NW16 with an 789 shouldn't to hard to fill, would have some appeal to people wanting to do an AKL-YVR/SEA-AKL loop. If you filled 30 seats an service from BNE/SYD/MEL thats already an 1/3 of the plane filled.

I don't think it's fair to say QF has been conservative in North America recently. They launched DFW which was a major expansion, as well as increased BNE-LAX to daily, increased MEL-LAX to 9/10x weekly, reintroduced SYD-YVR seasonally, brought AA into SYD/AKL-LAX and brought back SYD-SFO. NZ has the advantage of zero direct competition until the last few weeks.

Not sure what NZ would have to gain from SEA... would more expect VA/DL to launch SYD-SEA if VA wasn't in such a weak position at the moment.

qf2220

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:55 pm

Ok - now the site is blue again!

DeltaB717

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 pm

TruemanQLD wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

Not that surprising, always seemed to have been fillers for when the aircraft weren't needed on more popular routes. MEL-CFS is once weekly and has been up against a (relatively) new competition from TT who operate it 4x a week. Similarly, with SYD-HVB they are up against a daily VA service.

Would CFS not be a potential JQ destination? Or too small? Are we likely to see any new JQ destinations in Australia now or will it more be a building of existing routes as well as new routes between existing ports?

Definitely not surprising given, as you say, they have relatively strong competition on both routes. CFS from SYD isn't something QF will hand to JQ (if anything, it might see 717s at some point in the future), and I think CFS from MEL is too small a market for anything JQ (Australia) currently operates. At best I think QF might look at putting Q400s onto CFS-MEL but I don't see that happening.

qf789

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:36 am

Beijing Capital Airlines to fly MEL-TAO-SHE 3 times a week from September 2016

http://www.ausbt.com.au/beijing-capital ... me-flipper
Forum Moderator

qf2048

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:58 am

I have wondered this about QF on SYD-CFS for some time now. I have flown on this route on numerous occasions to visit family. Always on long weekends though. The Q400 are always full. I think they would fill a 717 on peak times.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

qf789

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:39 am

Alliance delivers first of 3 F100's to QF

http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... antaslink/
Forum Moderator

usflyer123

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:57 am

i wonder if LAS-SYD or LAS-AKL could work.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos