Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

MU Applies For Qingdao - SFO

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 pm

China Eastern has applied with the DOT to launch service between Qingdao and San Francisco.

Carrier says it intends to launch 3x weekly service in September 2016 utilizing A330 aircraft.

2016-OST-TBA

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

a380787

RE: MU Applies For Qingdao - SFO

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't know which method generates more greenhouse gas ... Flying this random route, or just burning money in a stove ?

legacyins

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 1):

I don't know which method generates more greenhouse gas ... Flying this random route, or just burning money in a stove ?

One thing to remember is that these secondary cities are subsidizing these flights heavily. CZ stated the only reason they started WUH-SFO was because of the subsidy they received. I am sure UA got the same starting SFO-X'ian/ huangzhou..

SFOA380

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:18 pm

One thing to remember is that these secondary cities are subsidizing these flights heavily. CZ stated the only reason they started WUH-SFO was because of the subsidy they received. I am sure UA got the same starting SFO-X'ian/ huangzhou..

I think we should make a list of all the various routes to Chinese secondary cities that are subsidized. YVR, SFO and LAX all have a few.

col

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Have you ever been to or done business in Qingdao? A lot of high quality manufacturers and international companies are set up here. The population has a lot of wealth. Tsingtao Beer, Haier and a lot of the high speed rail stock is made in Qingdao. I was thinking that 3/week may be low.

a380787

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 pm

Quoting col (Reply 4):

SFO isn't exactly a manufacturing hub isn't it ? We're talking other airlines still trying to develop far larger and richer markets like WUH and HGH (still under subsidy ?)

If they're doing Qingdao - LAX at least there's some feed from DL. To SFO, I'm curious what traffic it carries.

BestWestern

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:08 am

We can probably count on one hand how many long haul non hub services that exist and are profitable.

The irony of the US3 complaining about subsidies in the ME3 and not complaining about same in China.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

legacyins

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:10 am

Here is an article when CZ started SFO service and it touches upon the need for a subsidy.
Also, SFO gives incentives to airlines that start a new service to a city not currently being served.

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/09/...uthern-to-fly-san-francisco-wuhan/

[Edited 2016-06-06 17:12:52]

a380787

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:07 am

Quoting legacyins (Reply 7):

If I have to venture a guess, the Chinese side subsidy will comprise the vast majority of the total subsidy dollars. LAX SFO and the likes have no shortage of carriers willing to start service, so I don't see their need to kowtow to these demands other than a token amount as a sign of good faith.

Do u know how long the subsidies run ? Or they're basically indefinite programs until the route can finally self sustain ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos