Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Air Wisconsin Closing MKE Base

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:00 am

http://www.jsonline.com/news/air-wis...53-jobs-b99739413z1-382041061.html

"Air Wisconsin Airlines Corp. will close its facility at Mitchell International Airport, terminating the jobs of 53 workers there, according to a notice from the company.

The closure and terminations are the result of Air Wisconsin losing its contract with United Airlines, according to a letter to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development Dislocated Worker Unit.

The permanent layoffs will affect 50 passenger agents represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, according to the letter."

Will this have any effect on AA's MKE-PHL/CLT flights? Seems like they had extra RON flights in order to shuttle a few CRJs through.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

william

RE: Air Wisconsin Closing MKE Base

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:07 am

Air Wisky is not going to feed UA at ORD? MKE is not a UA hub, why would it matter?

UnitedTristar

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:14 am

This is nothing but UA going with ground handling by someone else, I'm guessing their own UGS...nothing to do with flying ZW hasn't been UAX since bankruptcy well before the merger

-m

asqx

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:21 am

The article mentions that it's 50 passenger agents and three salaried workers. Sounds like Air Wisconsin lost the ground handling contract and is laying off their airport workers. Nothing in the article mentions flight crews and according to Airline Pilot Central they don't have a crew base at MKE anyways.

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 am

In addition, US and now AA have been using MKE as a MX base for their CRJ operation, as 3 or 4 planes RON there every night.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

enilria

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:25 am

Quoting asqx (Reply 3):
The article mentions that it's 50 passenger agents and three salaried workers. Sounds like Air Wisconsin lost the ground handling contract and is laying off their airport workers. Nothing in the article mentions flight crews and according to Airline Pilot Central they don't have a crew base at MKE anyways.

The article is no longer available

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:31 am

United Ground Express is taking over UA's MKE ground handling from ZW. This has nothing to do with ZW flights. This is a poorly informed reporter...

william

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:16 am

Quoting UnitedTristar (Reply 2):
This is nothing but UA going with ground handling by someone else, I'm guessing their own UGS...nothing to do with flying ZW hasn't been UAX since bankruptcy well before the merger

No longer doing UA flying? Hard to believe, I still remember those four engine Avros in UA colors.

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:13 am

Quoting mke717spotter (Thread starter):
Will this have any effect on AA's MKE-PHL/CLT flights? Seems like they had extra RON flights in order to shuttle a few CRJs through.

hopefully those flights get upgraded to something larger, I am surprised they run CRJ's on those routes

kcrwflyer

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:30 am

Are they just losing the ground handling or the maintenance base too? This doesn't specify all that well. I don't see why the two would be related.

jreuschl

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:43 am

I did notice that UA will have an A319 as flight UA658, 2PM, looks like starting next year. Finally! All others CRJs.

ORD-MKE as UA 920 at 12:20.

knope2001

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 am

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 9):

Are they just losing the ground handling or the maintenance base too? This doesn't specify all that well. I don't see why the two would be related.

Not related at all, and nothing to suggest this will affect the maintenance base. Unfortunately the story uses the term "base" and suggests otherwise. This is simply United changing their outsourcing ground handling contract. It may (or may not) be that the replacement contractor will pay less (either with a lower scale or by having new hires.) And it may (or may not) be that they have a slightly thinner headcount as UA/UA* runs somewhat fewer (but larger) flights overall. But for the most part it's a trade-off, not a net loss of Milwaukee-area jobs.

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 10):

I did notice that UA will have an A319 as flight UA658, 2PM, looks like starting next year. Finally! All others CRJs.

ORD-MKE as UA 920 at 12:20.

Yup -- after countless years of 50-seat RJ's (1x CR7 to IAH a frequent exception) MKE is flnally getting some mainline back. ORD gets 1x and DEN gets 2x .

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 8):
hopefully those flights get upgraded to something larger, I am surprised they run CRJ's on those routes

MKE suffers from "regional base syndrome," where it probably has less mainline than it could otherwise support because regionals need to move aircraft and/or crews to the base. STL has a similar problem for UA (lots of AX and G7 flights). ROA is another good example. It's a Piedmont base that is all Piedmont for AA, while DL even brings in some mainline.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

katwspotter

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:16 pm

The ZW MX Base is not affected. ZW is ending ground handling operations all together for both UAX and it's 3 AA Eagle stations per a company wide announcement back in mid April.
"You're cleared to land on the green dot"

knope2001

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):
MKE suffers from "regional base syndrome," where it probably has less mainline than it could otherwise support because regionals need to move aircraft and/or crews to the base. STL has a similar problem for UA (lots of AX and G7 flights). ROA is another good example. It's a Piedmont base that is all Piedmont for AA, while DL even brings in some mainline.

Yup -- Air Wisconsin and SkyWest have around a dozen birds in MKE each night, but that means more RJ's than we'd otherwise have. The 5:45am and 7:00am MKE-DTW flights in particular (CR9 and CRJ) are a sore spot with me. MKE-DTW is mostly mainline the rest of the day, but the road warriors paying top dollar for their early-morning business connection to Columbus, Pittsburgh, Louisville, etc. get the RJ's.

Quoting katwspotter (Reply 13):
The ZW MX Base is not affected. ZW is ending ground handling operations all together for both UAX and it's 3 AA Eagle stations per a company wide announcement back in mid April.

Do you know offhand if these stations had maintained UA* handling consistently for years and there are long-time ZW veterans out of a job? Job-wise it's close to a wash, but obviously if it's your job it's a hit. If ZW has had the ongoing contract there could be people with 20-30+ years on the block in places like ATW. Just curious if you know.

katwspotter

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:28 pm

The final UAX stations closing for ZW are ERI, MKE, SBN, BHM, CWA, LNK, MAF, MBS, SPI and GRB. Yes, most of these cities have been around for a while on the ground handling side with many senior employees. ATW ZW ground handling was shut down in Sept. 2012 with loss of the contract to then Regional Elite. Those employees either retired or transferred to GRB or MKE.

crAAzy

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Quoting katwspotter (Reply 13):

What were the 3 AA Eagle stations?

Quoting mke717spotter (Thread starter):
Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 8):

MKE-CLT is a mix of CRJ/CR7/CR9 most of the time.

MKE-PHL is all CRJ - which considering the abundance of international options PHL provides, 2+ hours on a cramped hot CRJ with no F seat, before and after the international segment, makes it the least desirable option when flying international J and the main reason I won't even consider connecting to PHL for international flights.

adamblang

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 10):

Airbii and 737s appear daily starting this fall on ORD-MKE. There is also a smattering of two cabin RJs on some days. DEN-MKE goes all mainline this fall as well.

katwspotter

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 16):
What were the 3 AA Eagle stations?

HHH, HTS and IPT

N1120A

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Quoting william (Reply 7):
No longer doing UA flying? Hard to believe, I still remember those four engine Avros in UA colors.

That has been a long time now.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Androol

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Quoting william (Reply 7):

That has been a long time now.

The BAe-146 flying for United ended in April 2006. I had just finished new hire training on the CRJ. While we were in Appleton, WI during January and first part of February of '06 they were starting to park them. By June of 2006 the last few -146 guys were finishing their CRJ transition. I cannot remember when the United CRJ flying ended but it was right around the same time. When my group started at the beginning of January the UA bases were still open but we were not allowed to bid for them as they would be closed not too long after we finished training. A couple of guys in my new-hire class did their CRJ sim training in Denver and headed out to the airport to catch a ride in the -146 jumpseat to and from Aspen and said it was a great experience.

PS- They were the old versions, straight BAe-146's, not the newer upgraded Avros which is what Mesaba operated for Northwest.

CIDFlyer

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Quoting Androol (Reply 20):
They were the old versions, straight BAe-146's, not the newer upgraded Avros which is what Mesaba operated for Northwest.

I remember taking the air wisky 146's several times between CID and ORD and also the Avros between CID-MSP. Not the sleekest looking things but they sure were roomy and comfortable.

treebeard787

Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:26 pm

Quoting Androol (Reply 20):
They were the old versions, straight BAe-146's, not the newer upgraded Avros which is what Mesaba operated for Northwest.

I got to fly on the ZW 146's DEN-MSO and back in the early 2000, they were cool planes, unique.
Allons-y!

TZTriStar500

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 am

Ex-ZW BAe-146 N608AW was converted to the very first aerial firefighter using this platform in 2009 and now operated by Neptune Aviation Services as N146FF.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Kryst - YXUphoto

35 years of American Trans Air/ATA Airlines, 1973-2008. A great little airline that will not be soon forgotten.

bluefltspecial

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:12 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):

Agreed, ROA could handle a lot more traffic on larger aircraft, up the road, CHO was another that had a lot of mainline traffic before the US Air collapse and removal of mainline aircraft. But CHO being a PI base, they ran nothing but Dashs in there for years... I remember 5-7 MD80/737/F28s there daily... now it's almost all regional minus a few Delta mainline planes... at least Delta sees it.

I always felt that regional base syndrome hit IND the hardest having a ERJ and E170 base there for all those Republic/Shuttle flights which were always full to whatever hub they were flying to. Haven't been there in a few years, now that Repubs and Shuttle are in transition hopefully IND has kicked up their traffic a little bit with larger aircraft but maintaining frequency.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos