ZeeZoo
Topic Author

Concorde Flight 4590 - Pilot Hutchinson's Views

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:16 am

Former British Airways Concorde Pilot John Hutchinson and his views on Flight 4590.

http://omegataupodcast.net/166-flying-the-concorde/#t=1:38:35.755

Well worth listening to all of it. Starts at 1:38:30 (already linked)

Your thoughts on his assessment?

mtnwest1979

RE: Concorde Flight 4590 - Pilot Hutchinson's Views

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:18 am

First thing I saw was 'Quantas' in list of airlines on bottom. Weak.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

F9Animal

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:47 am

Quoting ZeeZoo (Thread starter):
Your thoughts on his assessment?

Wow, very interesting to listen to in its entirety. He brings up some very interesting facts, and sounds qualified enough to know what he is talking about. The spacer issue on the left gear sounds plausible enough to me.
I Am A Different Animal!!

reltney

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:02 am

Remember they were 6000lbs over RATO, the engineer shut down an engine producing full thrust without capts input well below 1000ft..

Soooo many links in this chain, you can't point one finger.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am

No real revelation here; he's been saying all of this since more-or-less the time of the crash.

One of the biggest critics of BA being forced to ground, during the refitting period as well.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

iahcsr

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:57 am

The CO DC-10 (N13067) was scheduled for an IAHEWR flight the day the FAA came looking. AC was grounded until it could be officially inspected. The 'rub strip' was still missing. The TR Assembly was removed and AFAIK is still locked up somewhere.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

VapourTrails

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:39 am

Quoting ZeeZoo (Thread starter):
Well worth listening to all of it. Starts at 1:38:30 (already linked). Your thoughts on his assessment?

Thanks for posting this, it was an excellent listen to. So far I have only listened to the point onwards to end.

I hold in high esteem any of the BA Concorde pilots in particular, particularly those, like John Hutchinson, whom I have seen interviewed on previous occasions online and in documentaries.

The way he stepped through it and covered the many aspects of the chain of events that day really filled in any gaps of this event for me. His full lecture coverage would be interesting.

I also find it interesting that things like overweight, and the spacer, were showed up because of this accident, and also made links in the chain of events.

I also like the way he talks about the hows and whys of the demise of Concorde service, and now, where a lot of the aircraft are - preserved and otherwise. Barbados? I hope to see the one in NY one day.

There were aspects about the demise of service I didn't know, in the course of that discussion too.

His quote, it was 'a proper aeroplane' when answering the question, 'could Concorde be bought back?' 

------

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 1):

No excuses in this day and age? Google.   

TheRedBaron

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Fantastic Interview, and quite a handful of blunders in this tragic chain of events... some much for "if only".

Rip in peace all who perished and what a loss on the most beautiful airliner ever.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

flflyer

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 pm

great video of this guy flying the Concorde at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjzoh3iQJc

anfromme

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Very interesting interview, and I do think that all the additional bits - take off weight, full tank, use of the full length of the runway, etc. - did play a role, as did the spacer (probably, anyway, it's not like these facts weren't considered during the investigation).
But he's clearly very passionate about Concorde and you feel it might cloud his judgement to some extent.
He does for instance ignore that investigators also checked for previous tyre incidents on Concorde, of which there were many, including tanks that were actually punctured. In fairness, most of them were during early years of operation, but still, blown tyres were known to present a bigger problem on Concorde than on other types of airplane. Hence the kevlar liners. And contrary to what he says, kevlar liners are not just a protection against fuel tank puncture from outside, but also against the sort of shock-wave rupture on the AF flight.

atsiang

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:15 am

Quoting anfromme (Reply 9):

Very well said. Totally agree with your assessment.   

Aesma

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 am

Concorde was a conventional aircraft in that way, it crashed because of several cheese holes lining up.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

prebennorholm

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:49 am

But he's clearly very passionate about Concorde and you feel it might cloud his judgement to some extent.

I agree totally. That man clearly has a axe to grind. He lost the magnificent job he had, and which he enjoyed fully.

Having read the final report it bothers me that involved professionals can come to so different conclusions. I believe in the investigators. They were many, and many of them (or all of them) had no axe to grind.

I don't believe one minute the way he describes the "reason" for finally retiring the Concorde. I am convinced that both Airbus and Air France senior managements were simply scared. They had sleepless nights because they knew something could happen again.

It wouldn't need to be nearly as catastrophic. But some serious incident could damage reputation of both companies seriously.

On the other hand the "glamour bird" had on that infamous 25 July been converted into an "we still show the flag" thing, and with unmentionable load factors. So better pull the plug.

British Airways acted as if they hated the decision, but in reality their top management was likely equally scared.

At least they knew which way the wind was blowing. Even if the Concorde technically could have continued another decade, maybe two, then it would have gradually become a millstone around their neck in a world becoming more and more conscious about resources, climate change debate and general environmental affairs etc. They would rather fight for a third LHR runway than defend the Conconde's right to violate all noise restrictions as hundreds of other European non-Stage-3 comliant planes were banned from the sky in 2003.

That little glamour, which the bird still had, better use that for a glamorous good-bye party than for a long, slow and painful death. And so they did. That was clever management by BA, if you ask me.

[Edited 2016-06-09 19:58:12]
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

RIX

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Well, considering BA tried everything not to quit, they were serious about keeping flying. Nothing near decade or two though: of what I remember, their plans were already saying, 2005 or 2007, so glamorous good-bye was already part of the plan.

jetjack74

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 1):

A common spelling irrelevant to the host or the guest speaker credibility. Its a host site error.

I agree to a certain extent. There was the incident on an AF Concorde that happened on take off from IAD in 1982 or 83 where a blown tyre punctured a hole straight through the wing. Luckily, that incident didn't hit any major flight controls that could've caused an uncontrollable situation. There were numerous rudder delamination issues withe upper rudder throughout its lifetime. A major flaw? I don't think so.
Made from jets!

william

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 am

I remember him from tne wonderful BBC Concorde commentary

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos