Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLY 8
Topic Author

Who Know´s KLMalps?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 6:25 am

Hi there!

I´m flying for KLMalps and I really think that our company has some problems with marceting. Nobody knows this Airline! That´s sad!
Maybe some Pilot know it? We use the callsign: Air Alps.
Has somebody ever heard of it? And have you known taht we are KLMalps?

Thank you for all responses!

Sincerly, BLMS
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

Plane Holland

RE: Who Know´s KLMalps?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 6:40 am

maybe americans don't know it..but I think in Europe everyone knows it..check out magazines..airliners world..aero international..and many pictures on this site...

greetings, PH-ARJAN

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2000 6:57 am

I know them. KLM bought Swiss regional carrier Air Engiadina and changed it into KLMalps. I think they are flying mainly to and from Berne, Switzerland and from some Austrian cities. They operate with Dornier 328s.

FLY 8, do you know what new routes KLMalps wants to fly in the next future?

Thank you and kind regards,
RJ100
none

avion

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:00 am

KLM does not own Air Engiadina and Air Alps. They are oth independent companies and operate under a franchise.

Avion

Flying-Tiger

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:03 am

RJ100, sorry to say but you´re not completely right. KLM did neither purchase Air Engiadina nor KLM Alps. KLM Alps consists two carriers operating in the KLM ALps livery, these are Air Engiadina and Air Alps Aviation.

Air Engiadina is a swiss regional carrier, currently operating 5 Do 328. They consider the purchase of a 6th example and might order som e small RJs in the future. They are in a marketing alliance with KLM.

Air Alps is still a new carrier, based in Austria. Air Engiadina helps with its foundation. They operate as well the Do 328 and have placed an order for the 328JET this year.

Regards
Flying-Tiger
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A343/346, A359, A380,AT4,AT7,B712, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9,B742/4,B752/3, B762/763,B772/77W,CR2/7/9/K,ER3/4,E70/75/90/95, F50/70/100,M11,L15,SF3,S20, AR8/1, 142/143,... 330.860 miles and counting.

RJ100

RE: RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:09 am

Avion and Flying-Tiger: You're right, of course, I'm sorry. Air Engiadina had some financial troubles so I concluded KLM bought them.

Regards,
RJ100
none

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:21 am

Hi there!

Ah, there are some people who know KLMalps / Air Alps Aviation, wich is the correct name! That´s wright we (Air Alps Aviation) is a completle independent airline!
Air Engiadina owend 49%, but know 0%!
I´m based in Klagenfurt and we fly to Zurich twice a day and to Amsterdam and Hamburg via Salzburg!
From Innsbruck, Salzburg and Linz we fly to Amsterdam 3 times per day!
In future we will fly to Cologne/Bonn and maybe some other destinations in Switzerland in cooperation with Crossair and Swissair!

Sincerly; Benjamin

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:32 am

How about Basel-Amsterdam!?
Currently only Crossair flies on this route (3 or 4 times a day). KLM used to fly this route for a long time but stopped all of a sudden.
I think there would be enough people to fill a Do-328 to feed KLM flights out of AMS.

Kind regards,
RJ100
none

avion

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:36 am

Basel- Amsterdam is served by KLM Cityhopper i believe.

Avion

Plane Holland

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:42 am

Basel - Maastricht is the route..

KLM does not operate the route Basel - Amsterdam because it's not profitable enough..but maybe with a D328 it will..

PH-ARJAN

RJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:44 am

Avion, unfortunately KLM cityhopper stopped flying AMS-BSL (4 times a day with Fokker 50).

RJ100
none

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 8:07 am

I cannot say very much about Basel - Maastricht. But a Austrian regional airline Welcome Air will fly from Graz and Innsbruck to Maastricht and Brussels!
I think those are good routes. My company slept again!
We are planning to fly from all major Austrian cities to Zurich and other destinations in Switzerland.
We try to get Swissair and Crossair as Partners. KLM has some troubles and is not that much interested in us!

Benjamin!

patroni

Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:07 pm

Hi Benjamin,

in Mid-October I flew on KLM alps between AMS and Innsbruck vv., both times on the jumpseat. The approach into INN was one of the most thrilling I ever saw so far.

Staff (both on the ground and in flight) was always extremely friendly and helpful, the aircraft was in a good shape, the meals are nice - so, what else can I say??  

I really wouldn't change a Do328's "driver seat" for a B747-400 cockpit..... Flying regional is the only way of "flying" rather than "administrating a computerized office".

Best regards and always three greens....

Thomas

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:28 pm

Hi Thomas!

Yeah! I was based in Innsbruck for two months! The Approach into Innsbruck is one of the best, bad also one of the hardest, specially on bead weather with an engine failure!
I´m happy that you like the Dornier and my company! Nice that the Pilots let you sit on the jumpseat! That´s in our airline definetly no proplem when you ask. Only with 1 or 2 pilots!

Best regards,
Benjamin

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:45 pm

If anyone ever flies withe KLMalps just ask if you can sit on the Jumpseat during Takeoff or Landing. That´s gonna be no problem!

Benjamin!

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:48 pm

TO Thomas PATRONI:

Do you remember the names of the pilots?
Have you made a visual or a "normal" LOC DME east approach into Innsbruck?

Benjamin!

patroni

RE: FLY 8

Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:58 am

Servus Benjamin,

I don't recall the names of the pilots, but the Capt. on the southbound flight was an ex-Tyrolean pilot.

The approach was - as far as I as a PPLer could see it - a mixture between an IFR approach with a visual Final. The initial approach was in VMC due to a "Föhnwetterlage" with low hanging clouds between the mountains, so we followed the SID via Garmisch to KUTAI (spelling?). Once abeam this fix we got visual contact with the runway so that the IFR approach was cancelled and a clearance for a visual approach was received. I saw the airport below us, then we flew a full circle in the valley to loose altitude and finally landed in a nice crosswind situation at INN.... I can tell you, I have seen many approaches in different aircraft from the jumpseat perspective, ranging from the Do 328 up to the 747-400F, but this was so far the most thrilling...

Best regards,

Thomas

(EDRT & ELLX)

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:25 am

Thank you for writing me back!
Yes we have maybe 80% of former tyrolean pilots in our company! So there are a lot of them!
You had the possibility to sit in the jumseat during a foehn approach! Thats cool, maybe the best approaches in the world, even better than former Hong Kong approach!
But for information you must have been in IMC conditions ( Instrument metrological conditions) and not VMC ( visual metrological conditions) and you followed the STAR ( standard arrivals route) ! SID is standard instrument depature!
But anyway the approach in IMC to Kühtai and later an VMC approach is really an expierence!

Hope to hear from you again, Thomas!

Sincerly, Benjamin!

FLY 8
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:37 am

TO PATRONI!!!

You are working for Cargo LUX??!!

I know a guy who is flying for Cargo Lux! He was flying for Lauda a 767 for about 10 years! Now he is a first officer at Cargo Lux! I think his name is Klaus ..?..!
I like Cargo Lux. I´m looking forward to fly for them one day!

Best regards, Benjamin!

patroni

Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:53 am

Hallo Benjamin,

oof, how embarrassing with the VMC and SID mixup.... seems I need some more sleep before I write a message about flight operations again next time  

Yes, I am with Cargolux, and 3 weeks ago I just happened to fly to Seattle with a F/O that came from Lauda, so I guess we are talking about the same person.... small world, isn't it?

Personally I am not sure if I would change the Do328 against the 744F cockpit.... well, I suppose CV pays more than VO or A6, but still I think that a regio prop or jet has more to do with the actual flying..... crossing the North Atlantic in a 747 is quite boring compared to the regional flights.... but that's just a personal opinion  

Best regards,

Thomas

P.S. If you like you can mail me at [email protected]

RWally

Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:30 am

Never heard of it, but then again, I live in the United States. I take it that you guys are owned by KLM.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos