Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZRH
Topic Author

SAirGroup Interested In Turkish

Thu Dec 14, 2000 6:51 am

According to Swiss TV DRS SAirGroup is interested in 24% of Turkish Airlines. At the moment TK is 100% state owened. The airline runs 73 modern Airbus and Boeing aircrafts and serves 35 Turkish and 78 foreign destinations.

SR3496

RE: SAirGroup Interested In Turkish

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:05 am

Well, why not? I think Swissair need TK for their operations in the GUS/middle east. TK's service standart is also not too bad...sure better then their reputation! And remember Turkey is a huge country that means a 'big' market.

ZRH
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:11 am

SR3496 you are absolutly right. TK is much better than their reputation. Turkey is a huge market and a door to the east. As I already wrote they have also a modern fleet.

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:27 am

The white turkish halfmoon and the white swiss cross should be a nice addition.
I would have guessed their fleet larger than "only" 73 aircraft, here at CGN they are pretty popular for the turkish when they fly to Turkey. Does THY already belong to any alliance ?

ZRH
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2000 7:48 am

Ab.400: THY belongs to Qualiflyer.

Thu Dec 14, 2000 8:02 am

Oh, pardon. I viewed some pictures and there isn´t a halfmoon in THY`s livery, more like a bird.
Turkey is a very important country in their region and uses it´s position as an ambassador between orient and occident pretty clever. I think Swissair will gain many advantages if they get along well with THY.

wing

Thu Dec 14, 2000 8:40 am

The Turkish Goverment will announce privatization of 51% of the Turkish Airlines tomorrow 14.12.2000.24% of its shares will be available for foreign investors and the other part will be available for inner market.Turkish Airlines has a very modern fleet of B737-800,B737-400,A310,A340,RJ70,100's.Also Swissair knew Turkish well because of their allience in Qualiflier Group.Turkish Airlines has a very large market in middle East and as more than 5 million Turks working all across the Europe flying back and forth forth on holidays is a big and steady market as well.I am very well sure Turkish was in Qualiflier Group ,but I think I've read from the news some time ago that they wanted to leave the allience because they weren't getting as much as they were giving .But I am not sure if they are still in the group or not.I agree with the statements that THY is better than it is known around I think this is lack of advertising.I think they rely too much on their steady markets as I mentioned above and more important than that because its state owned even if the company can't make a dime in profit government gives the money .I think thats why they dont care about advertising to European market(This is my opinion though)And yes its a bird on the livery the half moon is on the flag with a single star.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

wing

Thu Dec 14, 2000 9:16 am

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Click for large version

Photo © Garry Lewis

Click for large version