Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boeing422
Topic Author

Air Canada's Take Over Of Canadian Airlines

Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:18 am

For those of you who live in Canada you have been bombarded by media reports that Air Canada's take over of Canadian Airlines has left the consumer paying more expensive prices for service that is horrible. Personnally, I have found that airfares have never been cheaper and Air Canada's in flight service is excellent especially compared to th US majors. I find myself defending Air Canada to friends and family everyday. Am I crazy, or am I right? Both positive and negative feed back would be appreciated.

watewate

RE: Air Canada's Take Over Of Canadian Airlines

Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:53 am

There're still some issues that need to be dealt with before I fly them again. Have you phoned their 800 number recently? I hope you haven't, because it's just hopeless trying to talk to a real person. I've avoided majorly ever since the integration took place and I only fly them when I'm forced to.
I'm a converted CO customer- even if it means connecting at IAH or EWR or CLE. I don't mind the extra FF miles that come with it.
I'll go back to AC when they get everything fixed up. I have to give credit where it's due though- Milton has done an admirable job in most aspects.

airplay

Mon Jan 29, 2001 11:55 am

The airfares in Canada have certainly been on the rise, and Air Canada watches the competition closely. Within 1 week of Royal Airline's schedule change that decreased its frequency from YWG to YUL, Air Canada raised the fare from about $1800 CDN to $2025 CDN. About a year ago they were charging about $1500 CDN.

I used to work for a Canadian Airlines partner and I was really upset when I watched Air Canada employees picketing on TV with "Let Canadian Airlines Die" posters. At the time I resented the fact that Air Canada had recently been privatized (having been a government owned crown corporation) and their debt forgiven. this gave them very deep pockets to wage an unfair price war with Canadian Airlines. Later I would learn that Canadian Airlines was so badly managed that they would have gone broke sooner or later. Air Canada has finally won, and the fares have been steadily rising.

Having said that, whoever said that flying was cheap? Maybe the fares are approaching a level that allows the airlines to be profitable. Westjet, Royal etc...are providing the average Canadian with an affordable choice for travel that rivals bus fares, and Air Canada is providing business travellers and those who can afford premium travel excellent service, flight frequency, and relatively new airplanes (save the DC-9s).

There are several changes coming to the Canadian airline industry soon as a result of all this "restructuring". It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

AC_A340

Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:04 pm

I will have to say, Milton is doing an admirable job of doing what nobody else has done before. We've all expected some turbulence, and got through pretty well. The seat sales for flights departing YWG are at an all time low. Used to be about $220 for round-trip to YYZ. It's just below $200 when there is a sale now. But I guess that has to do with Can Jet and WJ and QN and C3000 all flying that route. And almost all the flights are full on that route, except for CJ. The last time I flew them was back in October before the computers were combined. So I will not comment on customer service until I fly them again in March. Once the dust settles I think everybody should give them another chance.

On another note, the check-in kiosks take Aeroplan cards. However, mine does not have a magnetic stripe on the back so it will obviously not take it. How can I obtain an Aeroplan card with a magnetic stripe? I'm only 17 so I can't get a credit card.

AirCanadaMan

Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:51 pm

Either go to the Aeroplan part of thier website, or give Aeroplane a call, they will have one in the mail fairly shortly.

Mine was mailed to me without even requesting it.

boeing422
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:28 pm

I have called the toll free number for Air Canada and you're right it is a nightmare, but if you can book online one could bypass that. Another problem that should be pointed out is Toronto's Pearson. I returned from St. Louis on my way to Halifax and could not find the gate for my flight to Halifax. An airport is easy to navigate and that is a problem that should not have arisen. If they sort out those two problems I can not think of anything else they would have to fix. Can anyone think of any other problems that Air Canada has?

gmonney

Air Canada Is Reliable

Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:22 pm

I feel that Air Canada is a reliable airline. If you are from Canada you should feel proud that you have an airline that travels to so many destinations with admirable service. Not the best, but satisfactory in my mind. I was not that impressed on my November flight from YYZ to MIA. We took off on time, arrived on time and the meal was.....fruit for breakfast, nothing fancy. All I really wanted was to get into the sun and relax and Air Canada made it possible. I thank them and I will fly them again because they seem very reliable. As for price, supply and demand, simple economics people.....don't let me get started. Fuel prices are a contributing factor as well, it takes a large airline more money to operate. Look at it as a good point, I bet if your flight had a problem with the aircraft, they would have a substitute if they could, or atleast be able to fix it a lot faster than the competition. I would like to comment more but its just more good things about the airline. As for Canadian, I'm glad that they have joined, it looks good on Canada.

Thanks,

G
Drive it like you stole it!

Carioca Canuck

Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:46 pm

I flew 51,000 miles with Air Canada ($6000 in airfare)this year and found the entire experience to be worth the money.

You have to fly some of the US carriers in order to really appreciate how good we've got it up here in Canada.

My usual flight to Brasil in "Y" class has gone up in price 20% over the last 18 months....but so has the price of fuel, so I can't complain.

I believe that AC is the best airline in the world right now.

gmonney

Sure Were Spoiled!

Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:51 pm

Ya I'd admit we are spoiled in Canada, We have a lot of great airlines. The reason is that our winters are very cold and there is a lot of money here, people want to go south and air travel is the only reasonable way to get there. Are restrictions are higher in terms of health and safety and overall class of people is better at some times.

I'm proud to be Canadian and I have confidence not only in Air Canada, But all of the little charters that service Canada and the world!

G
Drive it like you stole it!

RE: Sure Were Spoiled!

Mon Jan 29, 2001 3:38 pm

Forgive me for the ignorance, but in what ways are Canadian airlines better than US airlines? Make no mistake, I'm not contesting that they aren't but as I have only flown on US carriers, and only once to YYZ (on UA), I'd like to know what makes Canadian carriers superior to US carriers. Thanks!

boeing422
Topic Author

RE: Sure Were Spoiled!

Mon Jan 29, 2001 7:54 pm

Let me respond to the last responce by describing two flights I have taken roughly the same in legnth one from Halifax to Ottawa on Air Canada and another from Halifax to Newark on Continental. On air Canada we recieved newspapers, pillows, blankets, a HOT meal, the flight was too short for a movie, no problem they through on a couple tv shows, we were on time (if not a little early) and the staff were friendly. On Continental we got a cold chicken sandwich, which had been served to three times the same day on all my connecting flights and there was a seven hour delay that was it. Later after booking my travel with Continental I found a cheaper air fare on Air Canada. Now while flying with Continental I was impressed with the friendliness of the flight attendants. But in terms of return for my money I would prefer to fly with Air Canada.

a380

Watewate

Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:42 am

On which routes you connected through US airports (on CO)?
Do they allow people to connect in the US even you only fly local (e.g. YYZ-YVR)??

Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:54 am

AC is a very very nice airline. Their inflight service has to be one of the best, especially in coach. For having no competition they are on the top of their game. However, they do really nail people with high fares. If you are in NF and trying to get to the mainland, good luck paying under 600 or more CDN Dollars. They have taken seat capacity away on some domestic routes and raised the remaining fares for what is left. But, business is business. You certainly get what you pay for, and AC does offer a lot.

cargyvr

Tue Jan 30, 2001 12:58 am

Yes they do. You can do it with America West YVR-PHX-YYZ. However you have a one night layover in PHX before departing to YYZ.

a380

Cargyvr

Tue Jan 30, 2001 1:01 am

But do you still need to clear US Customs?
I just avoid too many check-ins and customs - higher chance of losing baggage and wallets.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos