Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ORD Boy 2
Topic Author

Swissair Welcome To Join Star Alliance, Paper Says

Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:10 pm

Swissair Welcome to Join Star Alliance, Paper Says

Zurich, Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Swissair, Europe's No. 5 carrier, would be welcome to join the Star Alliance, the world's largest grouping of airlines, Swiss newspaper Blick reported, citing Deutsche Lufthansa AG Chief Executive Juergen Weber.

``Why not? We already wanted Swissair before the Star Alliance existed,'' said Weber, whose airline is a leader of the alliance. ``But the Swiss didn't want it.''

SAirGroup, the owner of Swissair, said last week its Chief Executive Philippe Bruggisser quit. The company has shunned membership in a global alliance in favor of building its own Qualiflyer group of regional carriers, though these investments have left it with mounting losses.

``We are checking our entire strategy right now and analyzing every detail,'' Rainer Meier, Swissair spokesman, said in an interview. ``We won't comment on any speculation.''

SAirGroup shares rose as much as 3 Swiss francs, or 1.2 percent, to 247.5.

(Blick 1/31 p. 2)

To see the paper's Web site, see [url]http://www.blick.ch.[/url]

Jan/31/2001 9:57 ET

For more stories from Bloomberg News, click here.

(C) Copyright 2001 Bloomberg L.P.
Maybe a little upset of AA and oneworld is in the cards for united and lufthansa

notdownnlocked

RE: Swissair Welcome To Join Star Alliance, Paper Says

Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:23 pm

I would like to see SR leave AA and join with LH and Star. It would leave AA pretty much empty handed in the Euro-codeshare department but I don't think SR could fit in too well with OS. There were a lot of tears shed when OS left SR to join LH. I'm sure SN would follow SR into Star but what about LTU and LH in the same alliance.

OH-LGA

Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:26 pm

I'm sorry, but it SO does not make sense... I mean LH/OS/SR in one alliance? What are they trying to do get a stranglehold on the Central European region? Way too much overlapping in the route networks to allow any sort of cooperation between the carriers exist.

It may be welcome, but SR won't accept the invitation.

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

aa737

Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:50 pm

It seems like adding SR to strar would make the alliance a little to strong in Europe for me. LH/SAS/SR/OS (and other austrian group airlines)/BD would be a little to large and it seems to me that it will make there too little competition in much of Europe.

OH-LGA

Thu Feb 01, 2001 2:58 pm

Reading your post a second time Notdownnlocked, I find fault with one snippet:
"It would leave AA pretty much empty handed in the Euro-codeshare department"

NOT SO. Through oneworld and other codeshare agreements American Airlines codeshares with AY (Finnair), IB (Iberia), EI (Aer Lingus), LO (LOT Polish Airlines), and SNCF (the French TGV trains). Approval is becoming more possible for the AA/BA linkup.

So not necessarily empty, but Swissair is a good portion of it.

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

notdownnlocked

Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:09 pm

Yes, I agree there would still be some codesharing with AA but nowhere in the scope of DL/AF, UA/LH. The remaining codeshares for AA would only be more point to point routes in Europe such as HEL/DUB/SNN/WAW and a few others. The loss of the more encompassing SR/SN c/s would take the heart out of the AA Euro system in regards to third country access and the ability to regain this access with anyother carrier. I wouldn't count on it to happen with BA anytime soon either. Either way I would bet money that you will not see SR/SN in Star with its current lineup of players. It just couldn't work.

Thu Feb 01, 2001 3:55 pm

Sounds nice,but this will not happen.SR has a lot of airlines under Qualifier,and it is not going to dissolve Qualifier just like that.

Gundu

SIA fan

Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:22 pm

Hmmm...I hope this will happen since I'd love to see SR and SQ in the same alliance again.
SQ*G BD*S

gerardo

Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:03 pm

For Swissair, Star would defenitely be the worse option, compared to oneworld. I hope, Swissair will join oneworld.

Rgds
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

airnewzealand

Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:09 pm

You have got to remember that airlines still compete when they are in the same alliance!! The main reason Star has so much Airlines in Europe is that they want to give passengers more Destinations in the world where they can go. They donot mind if it over laps. Remember a Aliance wants to offer passengers lots of Destinaions to fly to and that is what Star is doing in Europe.

Still i think they Needed Korean Air in Star and Cathay. Maybe Air China will join??

Asiana??

Cheers
mikey

PS Star have still not covered three key areas where Oneworld has. South America, Africa and China. Well actually Oneworld donot have Africa

ZRH

Thu Feb 01, 2001 5:56 pm

This won't happen. Swissair/Sabena do not fit into Star. There would be too many central European airlines in Star: LH, SR, OS, SN and SAS. This is simply not possible. Oneworld will be the best alliance for Swissair.

SR3496

Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:08 pm

Forget that. This won't happen. As some others already said, SR/SN/LH/OS/SK and maybe LOT is just too much in Europe.
I don't like to see SR together with BA in Oneworld either, but I have to say that this is the only possibility...

Amir

Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:15 pm

Hi
beside what has already been said, i can't imagine the EU antitrust officials to approve such alliance.

Rgds
Amir

Amir

Attn. ORD Boy

Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:50 pm

Hi,

Do you have the exact link to this information (Blick or Blooberg)i can't find this article.

Thanks6 brgds
Amir

cfalk

Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:16 pm

I have over 200,000 miles I have to spend on Qualiflier, and almost as much on Star Alliance. If they put them together, I can finally offer my family a business class trip to Australia. Cool!

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

DatamanA340

Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:49 pm

Actually Zurich-Copenhagen is almost exact as Bangkok-Singapore, and Between Zurich-Copenhagen there are 6 Star members and 1 or 2 more? Very unbelievable. More than 10 Star hubs in 1/5 of US mainland. Very kidding or monopoly-oriented. There are only 5 competitor between 7 airliners mentioned.

Well, it's different from VS. VS is mostly long-hauls and has not much competition with BD.

johnnybgoode

Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:34 pm

Airnewzealand,

you wrote >>>Star have still not covered three key areas where Oneworld has. South America, Africa and China. Well actually Oneworld donot have Africa<<<

although it is correct that star has no good coverage of africa (current coverage of africa thru LH which isn´t that much). but it very well has an alliance partner in south america, ant that´s varig of brazil. it´s been the 6th member of star in joined it more than 3 years ago!
as far as oneworld is concerned, they don´t have coverage of china neither. they do have the alliance with cathay, but they didn´t serve mainland china last time i checked. cathay is somehow involved with dragon air, but their ties are diminishing and dragon air is not a part of oneworld.
and why do they need korean or cathay??? i quite don´t understand. korean is in skyteam, to close to ANA and cathay is already, as pointed out, a member of oneworld, and it be the 3rd major carrier in SE asia (TG, SQ). so that would be too much of a presence of star in asia, at least for the moment. ok, one could argue now that star has 4 major airlines in europe (LH, SK, BD, and the OS group) and only has three in asia whereas asia is much bigger and the traffic there is supposed to increase heavily within the next decade.
but still i think if a chinese would be found, which would certainly close the most concerning gap in the star network, a nearly entire coverage of asia would be at hand. however, i think in the course of time some more airlines, including asian airlines, will find its way into star to increase overall coverage. but i hope only minor airlines will join star because it´s already got too many major airlines which does concern me.
and that´s why i think SR shouldn´t join star and i hope it doesn´t. i don´t dislike SR at all, but as i mentioned, there are already too many major airlines in star thus too many boards seek major impact on star decisions and adding SR would do no good. if SR joined, SN would have to follow suit. as for the qualiflyer alliance, i don´t think that it will exist for much longer because of an obvious change of course within SR strategies. for my part, i could only speculate on involvements of such airlines like LOT or other quali members in other alliances.
i still remember when LH invited SR to join a partnership and for some reasons SR refused.
implementing an alliance now wouldn´t do any good i suspect, because star already faces scrutiny regarding its agreements between SK, LH and OS.
IMHO, SR perfectly fits into oneworld.
we´ll see.

rgds
daniel

If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

gibberish

Fri Feb 02, 2001 1:41 am

OK, I've got a couple of points here.

First of all, the Blick newspaper is a highly unreliable source. Every member of airliners.net living in Switzerland can confirm that.

Secondly, it would be very unlikely for Swissair to join Star. I think it is clear what I want to say; many other people have posted the reasons.

My last point would be Swissair joining Oneworld. This is a very realistic thing to happen. Reasons:

a) Swissair (and other QG members) have close ties to most Oneworld carriers (code-share with AA, CX, etc)

b) Swissair's independence will not be in danger in the Oneworld alliance (BA not as overlapping as LH/OS, etc)

c) ZRH (and maybe BRU) could serve as a perfect complement to LHR (congestion, AA issue, etc)

d) As others have mentioned SR would perfectly fit into Oneworld and it's got to be their number 1 choice.

So the only alliance Swissair will be likely to join in the near future is Oneworld. And belive me, it will happen. It has to, Swissair has no other choice.

gibberish

SR3496

Fri Feb 02, 2001 2:07 am

The SAirGroup just announces that they won't buy the TAP stake. (the codeshare flights between Switzerland and LIS/OPO will remain)

That's another step towards Iberia and Oneworld.

avion

Fri Feb 02, 2001 3:05 am

Blick even said that Oneworld is comprised of American, Cathay, Lufthansa.

Tom

JAL

Sat Feb 03, 2001 12:29 am

Why in the world should SwissAir joins the Star Alliance when they would be better off joining OneWolrd?

They are already codesharing with American.
Work Hard But Play Harder

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos