Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

767ALLTHEWAY
Topic Author

ATA: Hows The Service?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:14 am

Hello,
This summer I am flying American Trans-Air from Boston-Chicago(Midway)-Las Vegas on an (727-200 BOS-MDW) (757-200 MDW-LAS). How is the inflight service? And are the aircraft clean? Any response is appericiated. Thanks in advance.
-767ALLTHEWAY
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

wjcandee

RE: ATA: Hows The Service?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:10 am

By the time you start flying ATA, they may have their new 737-800s coming on board. They definitely will be in a brand-new terminal at MDW, which will make your trip smoother.

Having taken many ATA flights, I can tell you that, on average, you can expect:

(1) Plenty of people at the ticket counter and gate to get you checked in, especially as compared with other lower-cost airlines.

(2) Friendly inflight service. Are their F/A's beauty queens? Sometimes not, because many have lots of experience. Do they actually give a damn about whether you have a nice flight? On balance, yes. They have a certain Midwestern hospitality that I like.

(3) You won't get any fancy meal. You will, however, get the full can of soda if you want it, as much coffee and juice as you want without complaint or rolled eyes, and as many of those little biscotti things or peanuts as you want (if you ask nicely). [You'd be amazed at how often on "full-service" carriers, they look at you like you're from outer space if you ask for more of something, or if you pull the f/a call button. ATA's people, in my experience, really are nice.]

(4) The cleanliness of the aircraft is something that I noticed in particular. In a day where the major airlines were castigated recently in the Wall Street Journal over how much crap is left in seat pockets, on the floor, stuck to the tray table, etc. between flights and not picked up by the cleaning crews or the f/a's (many of whom won't pitch in), I was *amazed* at how clean ATA's planes were. On a one-stop flight through Chicago several months ago, I stayed on-board during the mid-trip cleaning, and the cleaning crew (from a private contractor) swept through the plane like a white tornado, with a supervisor who was serious as a heart attack about supervising. It was impressive as hell, and showed that they care about the "little things".

One can have a bad flight any day on any airline. But I think that you are likely to be pleasantly surprised by your experience on ATA.

--Bill

Mon Feb 05, 2001 2:27 am

ATA is excellent, and their planes are clean, but some 727's (in the old colors) LOOK so old! I know that a few came from United, but I don't know of the others. One problem is that they pack those seats in. (189 in the 722) So, don't expect a "Major" seat on them. Another thing, they use 747 seating in their L1011-50's (3-4-3) so should you ride on one of them, you are always uncimfortable to begin, until you are used to it.
Wjcandee, not yet with MDW's terminal. It won't be fully completed until 2004, although some of it is. If you're really interested visit http://www.ohare.com/midway/terminal_project/terminal_project_home.shtm to learn about it. Other than that, ATA Rules.
Good Day, Amtran727 Big grin

wjcandee

Mon Feb 05, 2001 5:58 am

Dude, ATA will be in the new terminal by the end of February (i.e. this month). That's the plan. If there's a delay, it will be a matter of days or weeks.

As to the 727-200s, ATA puts in 173 seats, not 189. The legroom (as you obviously haven't actually *flown* in one recently) is as good or better than in all major carriers who fly them. I compared one flight right after another an AA 727 and an ATA 727, and there was more legroom in the ATA version. (This was before the new American interiors, but this means that the comparison is valid for US, UA, etc.) They are *not* cramped. The 757-200s are going to have fewer seats, and the 737-800s will have far fewer than the maximum number of seats. The point is that ATA has at least industry standard legroom, and in some cases more.

--Bill

TWFirst

RE: Wjcandee

Mon Feb 05, 2001 6:07 am

ATA's ticket counter may be in the new terminal by the end of this month, but NOT the flight operations... The new concourses haven't even started to be built yet. 2004 is the target date for completion. So, I don't think a flight this summer will be any smoother due to ATA's ticket counter being in the new terminal.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

L-1011-500

Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:08 am

I have flown ATA on many occasions from LAX-OGG on 27 year old L-1011's with 362 people on board; I was amazed how little I noticed it. The planes are nice inside, you hardly notice how many are in the plane, and the F/A's were nice. I love Tristars, and one showed me around the plane...it was fun.

Wjcandee - I hear ya. I had this HOT Aussie chick be my F/A on my flight from LAX - OGG. Big grin And as far as hospitality, that's there too.

By all means, they are a great airline.

L-1011-500

Mon Feb 05, 2001 7:49 am

Wjcandee, The phone rep told me 189 last Wed. when I called for my Spring Break tickets, if she was wrong, oh well. And your right I last flew an ATA 722 in Dec 1999, and since then I've only been on their L-1011's. Your wrong on the terminal as TWFirst said. (By the way, DL was half the price of ATA) Why can't I get a flight with a hot chick for the F/A? Thats not fair (sniff)

Good Day, Amtran727 Big grin

JT8DJET

Useless Information

Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:10 am

Amtran727,

ATA had a 727-100 many years ago that came from United.

The 727-200's they have now, they got some from US Air and the rest from Alaska.
N760AT-N770AT came from US Air, which were ex-Allegheny.
N772AT-780AT came from Alaska. Some of these, Alaska bought new, the rest Alaska picked up used.
N782AT came from Mexicana.
N783AT Came from Alaska.
N784AT-N788AT came from US Air and these were former Piedmont.

The 727's are all -200A's and some of them are the last pax 27's to roll off the assembly line. (I think N765AT is their newest, and it's in old colors)
Of all the 727-200's they have, not one is a 727-222.

TWFirst

Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:33 am

I forgot to comment on my experience with ATA in my earlier post. I've flown them from MSP-MDW. The flights weren't on time (I blame that on MDW), but the service was great and the plane was very clean. Was on a 727.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

767ALLTHEWAY
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2001 10:05 am

Thanks for the input, sounds like me and my dad made a good choice on which airline to travel on. Thanks again.
-767ALLTHEWAY
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

wjcandee

Mon Feb 05, 2001 12:12 pm

Didn't mean to be snippy; sounds like the rez agent just made up a number. If you ever want to know the gories, you can look at their customer service plan on their web site. "Initiative" something (towards the end) says something about disclosing seating arrangements, and they lay it out in full, including seat width, pitch, etc. in each class of a/c. Some of this is dated: for the L1011-500, they have actually taken seats *out* of some, because the military likes a little more legroom for their very long flights. And I seem to recall something about taking seats out of the 757-200. Otherwise, should be essentially accurate.

All the best.

--Bill

Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:23 pm

Yeah oh well. I guess I just got confused with the former owners. I have found another airline that is like or better in service in my experiance. (Delta)

Good Day, AMTRAN727  Sad

toxtethogrady

Is This Like 'How's My Driving?'

Mon Feb 05, 2001 1:53 pm

...and we know the rest of that bumpersticker.

Maybe if ATA flew scheduled to IAH or IAD, I'd know...

EIPremier

Mon Feb 05, 2001 4:42 pm

I read in one of the major newsmagazines that ATA is looking into seat-back entertainment at every seat. This may possibly be the satellite TV system JetBlue and Legend equipped their planes with, and Alaska is still planning to install.

Anyway, is there any truth to this claim? If so, would this be on all aircraft, and how soon would installation begin?

Mon Feb 05, 2001 6:35 pm

The PTVs will probably come with the 738s and 753s, so they don't have to pull any out of service.

NUAir

Mon Feb 05, 2001 9:35 pm

No doubt ATA is a nice airline to fly at a competitive price but my main problem is in delays. I fly ATA out of Milwaukee and Boston and of the 12 times I have flown ATA 10 have been delayed by more then 1 hour (one flight to Montego Bay over 6 hours) and two close to 30 min. I have to say that about half were do to weather delays but the other half were from equipment problems. I think this will get better with the new aircraft but it never hurts to double check your departure time even more so at Logan where 1 cm of snow can delay flights for days.

Good luck,
NUair  Smokin cool
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

CactusA319

Tue Feb 06, 2001 12:19 am

FYI:

Seating on the 727's is 172 and 216 on the 757's. The seats are kind of narrow but it's not a big deal. Overall it's a good airline and your connection in MDW should be pretty easy, unless they run out of gates and you're flight ends up stuck on the runup pad waiting for a gate to open. Happens pretty often over there. But other than that you should have a good trip.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos