Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

na
Topic Author

JAL´s Ugly Jubilee Jumbo

Tue Feb 06, 2001 8:04 pm

This year JAL is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Several Jumbo Jets, mostly domestic planes, will be painted in special colour schemes. The first one, a 747-400D is flying - and already shown in the Photo section. Thank you, Ito Noriyaki, for the quick pictures!

But no surprise, its another stupid cartoon plane from Japan! Why must Japanese always turn the great 747 into childish billboards? Japan has great designers and a proud history in elegant style, but every single special colour-Jumbo from Nippon looks plain rediculous. It started with the blue whale-plane from ANA in 1993. Then there were the JAL-Disney Jumbos of the mid-90s, the "Snoopys" and "Pokemons" from ANA. Each one looking more cheap than the other. And now JAL is celebrating its 50th birthday with - yes, believe it or not - the typical japanese national symbol of Mickey Mouse! I know that these schemes have been popular in the past. But, please, where´s your sense for design, JAL? Its your 50th Birthday and not a Ronald McDonald childrens-party!

Tasteless and absolutely wrong for the occasion thats all I can say.

Will one of the up to six "Jubilee"-747s carry a serious elegant scheme?

CX Flyboy

RE: JAL´s Ugly Jubilee Jumbo

Tue Feb 06, 2001 8:42 pm

It doesn't look that bad!!

Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:18 pm

I agree with Na.

When I saw JAL's !!DISNEY!! plane on the newspaper that they say they're celebrating their anniversary, I'm plain shocked. First, the Mickey Mouse thing has nothing to do with JAL's anniversary. Second, the livery on that plane is just so ugly. Third, even if they're celebrating, and with that unrelated livery, they should have gotten a much better one. I think ANA's Pokémon Jet looks pretty good - that's what is known as design!!

hkgspotter1

Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:21 pm

Its very nice and I like it. I only hope the international aircraft will fly to HKG !!

KLM747

Tue Feb 06, 2001 9:30 pm

It's not that bad, even though the earlier Dream Express looked better.

KLM747 Big grin

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ito Noriyuki

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ito Noriyuki

airmale

Tue Feb 06, 2001 10:06 pm

KLM747 thanks! I was just going to post the pictures, Na I see what you mean, the tail looks great though Smile
.....up there with the best!

JAL

Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:35 pm

I agree that a world class airline like JAL should not use cartoons on the livery of their aircraft. But it doesn't look that bad.

Go JAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

RayChuang

Tue Feb 06, 2001 11:49 pm

I think you have to be a bit careful about what the Japanese mean by "beauty."  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

After all, ANA painted a Boeing 747 with the Peanuts characters, and of course we know about the Pokémon 747's.

However, I'm real disappointed that JL didn't paint a couple of their 747's in older JAL liveries to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Can you imagine a JL 747-400 in the 1960's livery? Now that would have been interesting to look at.  Big grin

aviasian

Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:37 am

Frankly, there will never be concensus about the aesthetic quality of any regular or special livery. Inevitably, some will like it and some don't. Let's all agree to disagree and see what else airlines produce.

Speaking from the aviation photographer's perspective, any special livery or new livery is an exciting development, and I am sure both Kodak and Fuji will agree that the new ringing tone on their cash registers is also a joyful sound.

One reason why Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters are closely associated with JAL is linked to the fact that JAL is the official airline for Tokyo Disneyland. Can any other aviation nut substantiate this information? My apologies if I am wrong about this.

BH346

Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:51 am

Its not ugly, but it would be much better if they made an original, creative special livery for their 50th anniversary. Or maybe introduce a new livery or put a 777 or something in their older liveries. I think putting a bunch of Disney characters on the side of the plane is a bit lame for a 50th anniversary. It looks like an ad for Tokyo Disneyland.
I believe ANA will have their 50th anniversary soon. I hope they won't celebrate it by painting a fleet of 20 pokemon planes.

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Red Panda

RE: Marketing Strategies Only

Wed Feb 07, 2001 7:56 am

The livery is not that bad. I esp. like Pokemon and the Whale 744D. I don't think they are not "serious" or "ridiculous", they are just creative.

BTW, the reason why Disney's characters are on the plane is just a pure marketing strategy. It has nothing to do w/ 50th anniversary of JAL. JAL got some money from Disney and painted a plane for Disney. That's all about it. However, I don't know agree w/ JAL that mixing JAL's 50th anniv. w/ Disney.

Regards,
R Panda

kLm-Md-11

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:30 am

What happened to the winglets on the 744?

KLM747

Wed Feb 07, 2001 8:38 am

No Problem, Airmale.

And KLM-MD11, that is a 747-400D (Domestic) The domestic 747s don't have winglets.  Sad

And the tail does look kind of nice  Big grin

KLM747 Big grin
Here's a website in Japanese, but look at the picture on the front. http://www.nhirai.com/airzukan.htm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos