Airbus Lover
Topic Author

China Airlines Alliances...

Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:52 pm

what alliance is China Airlines in?

JAL

RE: China Airlines Alliances...

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:30 am

They are not a member of any alliance so far. But OneWorld would be perfect for them.

What do you think? Should they join OneWorld ; SkyTeam or Star?
Work Hard But Play Harder

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:34 am

Oneworld would be best, because China Airlines alrady codeshares with Finnair.

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:36 am

who are their code-share partners?

gardermoen

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:40 am

China Airlines code share with Finnair? No they dont. You must be thinking of some other airline. In fact, i cant think of any chinese airline that does code share with AY.
I dont think oneworld would suit China AIrilens, Cathay Pacific(in next door HK) is way too close and there would be areas of conflict. Anyway, they are not up to alliance standard in terms of service so it is best they dont look at the big players, but if they do, it would be at the skyteam level.

Flyboy81

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:47 am

Quality of service is not where China Airlines' problems lie. Their service is definately top notch. I think most of the alliance are worried about their safety record. But if that is so, then why did Air France and Delta team up with Korean Air, an airline comparable to China Airlines in terms of safety and service?

a380

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:52 am

TPE doesn't seem to be a good hub.

Andie007

Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:59 am

Air China has a codeshare agreement with Lufthansa! But I don't think they will fit Star Alliance! Thai - SQ - ANA! Star is too big!

DatamanA340

Sat Feb 10, 2001 1:40 am

Any big alliance that has relation with CI or BR will lose Chinese inland market.

johnnybgoode

Sat Feb 10, 2001 2:22 am

although i agree that star is very big and that might cause some problems, they already have four airlines (AUA group considered one airline) in europe and i´d say, especially thinking about the massive population of china, there´s certainly room for a 4th asian carrier in star.
howevern, air china has a very close relationship with northwest so wings should be an option for them as well.
we´ll see

regards
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

chiawei

Sat Feb 10, 2001 2:31 am

With the commies on the other side of the ocean, CI and EVA will be blocked from joining any alliances.

Sat Feb 10, 2001 4:27 am

You guys...Stop messing up China Airlines (Taiwan) with Air China (China), OK?

BTW, Air China is the one that code-shares with Finnair, Austrian Airlines, TAROM, Swissair, Lufthansa, Northwest Airlines and Continental.

China Airlines code-share with Vietnam Airlines, marketing alliance with Japan Asia, Garuda Indonesia ;Cargo alliance with Cargolux, Japan Asia Airways, Atlas Air.

It will be a crucial problem for CI to find an alliance, because of thier safety problems. BR? no problem, may be One World(51%) or Star (49%), Because they code-share with Star (NZ,AC,NH's subsidiary), one world (AA, QF) and Continental as well as America West.

chiawei

Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:13 am

BR and CI will not be part of any kind alliance. This has to do with enemy chinese that is blocking such moves by the taiwanese carriers.

unless, china collapses or alliances partner that are willing to give up china rights, BR and CI will never be in any kind of alliances for policitcal reasons.

Otherwise BR would already be a one-world member already.

gibberish

RE: Jiml1126

Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:34 am

Are you sure they codeshare with Swissair? I haven't ever heard that. Since when and on what routes?

gibberish

johnnybgoode

Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:28 pm

i´m not really uptodate concerning chinese mainland services by eva airways or china airlines (do they have any? sometime ago they did not), but to me it seems that airlines such as air china, china southern and eastern have a much greater share of the mainland market and that´s where the big market awaits.
i´m not saying that BR or CI won´t enter an alliance sometime, but i´d say air china and the other mainland carriers are in a better position.

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

Sun Feb 11, 2001 3:58 am

Just to clear some of the confusion out.

Air China = Based in Beijing, national carrier for Mainland China. Their symbol is a red phoenix.

China Airlines (CI) = Taiwanese largest carrier. The symbol is the pink blossom flower. Eva Air (BR) is the second largest carrier in Taiwan.
Taiwan also known as 'Chinese Taipei'

There wasn't any direct flight between Taiwan and China due to political reason, they have to gone through either HKG or Macau with the other carrier to China.

RE: Gibberish

Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:42 am

Air China code-shares with Swissair between Beijing and Zurich, Beijing-Shanghai flight opb SR will discontinue effective summer schedule 2001.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos