Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kmia
Topic Author

Aircraft Spotter.....

Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:11 am

Hi,

can anybody explain to me, why people take pictures of every aircraft they see, and write down the registration. I see spotter alot at runways, they seem to be friends, but why do they take all the same pictures at the same time , instead of exchanging them. I'm not sarcastic, just interested. Hope to hear from you guys  Smile

American 767

RE: Aircraft Spotter.....

Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:30 am

Those people may not know each other. They may not even be from the same city. I think the reason people take pictures and write down the registration is that they may never see that particular aircraft where they live. For example, when I was in Newark the other day I took a picture of a Northwest 727 with my digital camera and I downloaded it to my iMac yesterday when I came back to Brussels. Why did I do this? For a number of reasons: I love the 727 and they are becoming rare with the airlines. I may not see a Northwest 727 ever again in my life. Excluding cargo companies, there are no more 727's in my hometown. I also photographed 727's from American and Delta in Dallas two days ago.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium

hkgspotter1

Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:47 am

This forum should be full of spotters as this is how the whole hobby started. Remember way back then when all people had was a piece of paper and a pencil ???. There was no cameras or video cameras. This whole aviation photo thing started from people like myself that sit at airports and read the reg numbers of aircraft, the same way people spot planes.

Why do we take photos of all the planes, we don't. No spotter takes a photo of every plane they see, may be if the weather is great they will take most of them but never every single aircraft.

Why do we write down the reg ?, because we want to see as many different aircraft in the world as we can.

Hope that helps.

707guy

Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:17 am

I don't know about everyone who contributes, but I've been writing down registrations and planes since I was a kid. When I was in about the 4th grade I became really interested in aircraft. My mom would take me out to Cleveland Hopkins every Friday night in the summer. I've still got the notebooks that I used to write down all the planes that I saw! Thankfully my son now is interested in aviation and I'm taking him out there as much as I can. It's just a fun thing to do if you like aviation.

kmia
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2001 12:38 pm

Thank you guys for your opinion, slowly I get the picture, hope to hear more........

aerorobnz

Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:55 pm

The reason behind collecting regos for me is so that I can see which aircraft I have photographed and which I haven't, for example I have taken photos of all the TG 773s except HS TKF. If HS TKE arrives in NZAA I will not take a photo of it, because I have photographed it before but I will record it as part of the daily movements at that airport in my rego diary. The thrill of seeing a new rego is exactly the same as spotting a new airline or aircraft type at your airport. If a spotter is complacent with planes it will come back and slap them in the face by crashing/being scrapped before you can get a photo of them. This is why you see people taking photos of as many planes as they can.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos