Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-1011-500
Topic Author

What Airlines Of The World Are In Trouble?

Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:46 pm

What airlines of any region of the world are in financial trouble and why?

Thanks

L-1011-500

P.S. - We already know about TWA.

aerorobnz

RE: What Airlines Of The World Are In Trouble?

Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:59 pm

I think Malaysian is at risk, as is Air New Zealand, but I don't think they are quite in the league of TWA. Aerolineas Argentinas could also be classed in the same catagory too.

Samurai 777

Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:10 pm

What about Sabena?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Feb 14, 2001 6:37 pm

An intersting Topic:

AN - Not doing well in OZ
NZ - Not doing well
MH - Relatively poor management
Um..
SN - Reportedly nearly bankcrupt but saved by 11th hour deal
MI - I think it's in loss making mode

YFE

Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:05 pm

I heard Martinair is also doing it not so well

lamyl_hhlco

Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:32 pm

Air algerie is not doing good, she has lost 100 pilots and and mecanics > They left for Khalifa airways, the algerian private airline who's paying higher than other!
Air algerie is actually seaking of pilots for her new fleet of 737'sNG.
AZ is getting a little down either and swissair.

NUAir

Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:52 pm

Martinair? where did you hear that? I am very current on KLM so I would think that they would say something given there 51% stake in Martinair. Are you just referring to winter cargo operations or year results?

AZ? when has AZ been profitable? From what I have heard given there history they did pretty well last year.

As for further airlines I know MEH had a rough year, Who knows about Sabena word on the street is that they don't have too much longer, especially if SAGroup decides to have nothing to do with them.

I know Go and Easyjet are doing well right now but I still question what the future holds for those two. And dont forget about Olympic who might not even be able to move into the new airport in Athens because of financial constraints.

NUair

csavel

Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:29 pm

I've heard rumors about Air Afrique. Someone who works for the UN says they may give up their Dakar JFK route, which would be sad, as well as illogical since that route is always full. Anyone in the real world can confirm?

El Al 001

Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:23 pm

What about Transearo?

Aerokid

Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:44 am

Brussels International Airlines: just went bankrupt yesterday. (operated 1 A321 and 1 B737 from BRU)

Sabena: could still go bankrupt as the decision on the 250 million Euro cash injection by Swissair and the Belgian gouvernment has been postponed until February 23rd.

Best regards,
GR.

Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:10 am

If Air Afrique is really in trouble, how come they still have money to lease/buy 2 A332?

Also, I think EL AL and Arkia is in big trouble, since the crisis between Israel and Palestan. A rumour said that EL AL's load factor dropped more than 50% since the crisis.

airafrique

Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:29 am

Yes Air Afrique will cut 2000 job to stay alive (the company has 4126 employees).

Jeffrey Ericsson (the new CEO from TWA) says that is the last chance to save the company.

As a remider Air Afrique start having problems when the French Rolland billcard was CEO (1993-1997).He spent a lot of money on planes the company did not need.

I hope that Mr Ericsson will clean the company for privates who want to inverst or buy the company.

Also three weeks ago Senegal has signed with the US a deal to open the route Dakar - New-York to American airliners.

Csavel if for financial difficulties Air Afrique shut the Dakar-New York line you can still take Ghana Airway or Ethiopian ,they both stop to Dakar from JFK and Newark

Smile

Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:33 am

AWA they had a big loss in the 4th Quarter!
Iain

gkirk

Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:36 am

Gill Airways are currently in administration due to low pax loads and loss of contracts.

ahlfors

Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:05 am

LIAT, based in the Eastern Carribean is definately not doing too well, especially due to increased competition for Caribbean Star Airlines!

Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:23 am

America West is having continued problems because it cannot find a market niche. It is too low quality to be classed in the same category as AA and DL but too high cost to compete with WN. Couple that with the fact that it shares two hubs, PHX and LAS with WN, and HP really has no place to run.

USAirways is, in my view, in as bad a shape as TWA. Its costs are astronomical and it has low cost competitors chomping at its east coast route network. In addition, it has no major operations west of the Mississippi. This lack of a national route structure keeps it from competing effectively with UA, AA, and DL.

Alaska Airlines, finally, continues to encouter difficulty from low yields in the lower 48 and reasonably high costs. In addition, consumer confidence in their product has waned dramatically in the aftermath of the crash off the California coast.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos