Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BaliMorris
Topic Author

Clunky Landing Gear On CRJ...

Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:25 am

I've been travelling quite frequently on the Canadair Regional Jet of late and I've noticed that everytime the landing gear is put down, there is a considerable clanging noise, often accompanied by some noticeable shaking of the aircraft. It's actually kind of funny because whenever it happens, almost without fail, some poor bugger gasps out in shock, probably thinking the aircraft has been struck by something.

Does anyone know if this characteristic of the Regional Jet is a design flaw or if it's some sort of feature? It's far more pronounced on the CRJ than on any other aircraft I can recall.

wannabe

RE: Clunky Landing Gear On CRJ...

Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:37 am

I have noticed the same thing, and have had a chuckle or two when some poor bugger jumps out of his seat when he hears it for the first time. I've always been of the opinion that a loud noise coming from a mechanical device is normally not a good thing. My opinion from listening to the noise is that it is the gear doors hitting the stops and locking. I too would be interested in a mechanics description.

fxra

Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:51 am

I don't remember what caused this noise, but i remember on a Kendell Air flight (Ansett commuter) the flight attendant actually warned the pax that there would be a loud noise and nto to be alarmed. I found this kinda funny since in years i'd never heard that before on any airline. And they did it on both flights so its part of there normal announcements. Later
Visualize Whirled Peas

exPratt

Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:02 am

According to the Director of Maintenance of a CRJ operator, the clunking noise is from the MLG uplock links. When the crew selects landing gear down, the links are pulled off of the landing struts and pivot around slapping the the top of the wheel well that also happens to be the cabin floor.

I was on a CRJ flight into South Bend and when the landing gear was lowered causing the loud clunking noise, a female passenger across the aisle from me started power hurling on herself, the gentleman next to her, and two gentlemen in the seats in front of her. She apologized to the people that she got sick on and said that she was afraid to fly and the noise had frightened her.

BaliMorris
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:01 am

So, by most accounts, it's part of the in-flight entertainment system (for the more experienced travellers, at least), and a truly interactive experience, at that. A stroke of innovative brilliance on the part of the good folks at Canadair!

CactusA319

Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:09 am

Power hurling!?!?!? LMAO!!!! Too funny. Big grin

airplay

Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:18 am

I would think that the very close proximity of the landing gear to the cabin floor would be a factor on a small jet like the CRJ. So the size of the aircraft must be a factor too.

757man

Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:33 am

I flew on a CRJ to Rome from Birmingham, England a few months ago, and we had exactly the same noise. Didn't notice anybody else's reaction though, there were only a dozen or so passengers (including myself) on the flight!

The much larger B757 has noisy gear too.

N202PA

Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:34 am

I've noticed the noise myself, and attributed it to the fact that I always happen to sit in seat 11F, which is right by the MLG, if not directly over it. It's a bit startling when the gear opens up, even though you know it's coming.

Thing is, the flight that I regularly fly on has about 99% businessmen aboard, so they're used to it too, I take it, being frequent flyers. Then again, I flew one of Comair's RJ's to CVG this summer, and no one batted an eyelash when the gear came down.

Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:00 am

I have heard that noise, but its usually comes along with the noise of the air rushing around you, depending on how fast your going when the landing gear it dropped. The same thing applies if the crew chooses to use the speedbrakes when descending.

wannabe

Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:17 am

Again I ask the question, if a loud noise is caused by an impact, and if it is indeed the uplock links "slapping" against the cabin floor, wouldn't it be prudent to either install some sort of stop that would prevent it from slapping the floor, or mounting some sort of stop cushion on the ceiling of the MLG well. How many impacts will it take for the links to slap THROUGH the floor and into the bottom of someones seat? Any loud noise in a mechanical device has got to be causing more damge other than hurting your ears.

BaliMorris
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2001 7:05 am

I agree. There's got to be a better alternative to having parts slap against other parts. I suppose it's true that this might not be as uncommon as we perceive and that it's more apparent in the CRJ due to it's size, but I kinda doubt that. I was comparing it to the landing gear of the Saab-340, which is a similar sized aircraft, but maybe that's not a fair comparison because the Saab's main landing gear comes out differently (lengthwise). I guess the next smallest jet I've been on would probably be the BAC 1-11. I think it's MLG comes out in the same way (across. sorry don't know the technical term for it), but I don't recall it being so loud. How does the ERJ compare?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Felix Sieder

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

Click for large version

Photo © Eduard Marmet

airplay

Sat Feb 17, 2001 11:08 am

The Saab 340 landing gear is way out in under the engine. I don't thinks thats a fair comparison.

crjmech

Sat Feb 17, 2001 5:21 pm

No offense to Expratt, but his source citing the MLG uplocks hitting the bottom of the cabin floor as the noise heard during gear extension is wrong. The uplocks are fixed in place, only the hooks on the actuators move and this is only a few inches. The bottom of the fuesalge is about a foot above the uplocks. I can't say for certain what the cause of the sound may be (I've never really noticed it myself). There is a definate sound as the uplock hooks disengage from the gear, at least when I tried it here in the hangar. I know that there used to be a problem during gear retraction; a loud bang due to the gear coming up too forcefully. But this has been fixed with the addition of a restrictor fitting in the hydraulic system.
Thou shalt mind thine altitude,lest the ground reach up and smite thee.

woody

Sat Feb 17, 2001 8:43 pm

My dad is a CRJ check pilot for Comair, and I asked him the same question a year or two ago. He told me that the noise is from the main gear locking in place. He said that when you lower the gear on the CRJ the main gear free fall out of the bays. The CRJ uses gravity to lower the main gear. That would explain the clunking noise and the shuddering of the plane.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos