Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Your Top 5 Or 10 Of Worst Airline Paintschemes

Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:41 pm

What is, to your opinion, your top 5 or top 10 of worst current airline paintschemes. Thank you in advance for your honest reply.

Norbert

GunFighter 6

RE: Your Top 5 Or 10 Of Worst Airline Paintschemes

Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:54 pm

my top 3 worst paintschemes are as follows.

3. Martinair
2. Alitalia
1. Iberia

Warm Regards
Gerbert.

ryanb741

Wed Feb 28, 2001 7:15 pm

My five worst paintschemes.

1. KLM - dull, dull, dull - the scheme makes all their planes look 20 years old.
2. Alitalia - what's with the stupid black dot on the nose?
3. Air France - did somebody forget to finish painting the planes? (very bland)
4. Qantas (Wunala Dreaming) - did somebody smoke too much of something they shouldn't have?
5. Gulf Air - is it me or do all their planes look like they have a beard?

MEA

Wed Feb 28, 2001 8:17 pm

Ryanb741 - I can't believe you mentioned Gulf Air, I think they have a really cool livery & KLM one of the most effective liveries ever

Anyway, here is my list;

5. Virgin (maybe cause i haven't seen it in real life)
4. Iberia
3. Alitalia
2. Southwest
1. Delta

Wed Feb 28, 2001 8:27 pm

Southwest - New
Cathay Pacific - Green Thing
American
Virgin Blue
Swissair
Aeroflot
China southern

ryanb741

Wed Feb 28, 2001 8:27 pm

MEA, maybe I am being a little harsh on Gulf Air, but those stripes under the nose look ridiculous to me. As for KLM, I personally think the scheme is ghastly. The blue they use is so lifeless and bland.

Re Gulfair's 'beard'(!) - Delta suffers from this as well to a certain extent!  Smile

KLM747

Wed Feb 28, 2001 8:57 pm

My top 10.

1.Virgin
2.Southwest
3.Finnair
4.KLM
5.British Airways
6.Delta
7.jetBlue
8.JAL
9.ANA
10.Cathay Pacific

KLM747 Big grin

samspain

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:05 pm

1.- Iberia, Air France, Alitalia (those colors worked out well thrillion years ago...but not any longer)
2.- Aeroflot, Olympic (still in the 70's)
3.- Avensa, VASP (billboard a la Pan Am)
4.- American (actually the c.s. is o.k, but what about a little change after 30 years?)
5.- Air Canada, Delta and Lufthansa (too much basic white).

regards

MEA

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:06 pm

How could I have forgotten Virgin Blue. Being Richard Branson's baby, I thought he could have done better.

I like the red but the boomerang looks cheap & tacky.

chepos

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:10 pm

1-Delta Airlines(New New One)
2-Scandinavian Airline System(SAS)
3-Qantas - The Kangaroo is extremely nice but all the white is a big boooooo to anyone who designed this livery
4-Air New Zealand
5-El Al - The new scheme is terrible
6-Egypt Air-Again the case of the all white fuselage
7-Air Canada-All white again no imagination . They should have used Canadians new livery instead
8-Jal - they need a new one urgently
9-Air Afrique- (New colors) No imagination again going with the boring all white look
Thos eare the worst colors around in my opinion . And I was a big supporter of the old tails from the around the worls BA scheme .
Chepos
Puerto Rico

na

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:20 pm

A matter of taste. There is good taste and bad taste. I´m a designer and I know what I´m talking about because I studied it and I´m working with it every day and it drives me nuts when talking to a client who doesn´t know the difference. Its ok when you have a bad taste or no taste but don´t try to sell your opinion as good taste to everyone. Educated people will laugh at you.

That Virgin Atlantic and "Wunala Dreaming" is on someones "Bad"-list sounds very strange to me because they are examples of distinctive design to me (not perfect in every detail but beyond harsh critisism). The childish Japanese Jumbos belong on this "Damn it"-list with a lot more reason.

Awful or bland schemes without having a Top 10 list here are:
Air China and Aeroflot (tasteless communist-era crap), Spanair, Eurowings, Aero Lloyd, Air Europa, Delta, Martinair (very old looking), Virgin blue (looks cheap so maybe its right for the market)

RE: My Top 10 At The End Of This Topic

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:27 pm

RE: Till so far, very good reactions. I'm pleased. Other readers please do react to this topic!

kmia

RE: My Top 10 At The End Of This Topic

Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:39 pm

1. Southwest
2. Martinair
3. LTU
4. British Airways
5. KLM
6. Aeroflot
7. Spirit Airlines
8. Swissair
9. Canada 3000
10. Condor

l'espace180

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:00 pm

how dare you to pu AF in it !
It is the first and best euro-white paint scheme !
And at least there are no ugly colors like UAL's one on it !!

RE: L'Espace180

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:09 pm

I agree that AF was one of the first with an all white fuselage livery in Europe but former Air France (fuselage)liveries were better. Why do you think AF has a good livery at this moment (except the tail because I think a lot of readers like the present tail paintscheme design)?

whisperingiant

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:14 pm

Top 5 worst liveries:

1. The new British Midland 'bmi' scheme - what the heck is going on here? It's an aeroplane, not an internet home page

2. British Airways - not a good idea of theirs to throw away one of the most distinctive, meaningful and classy colour schemes in the sky and replace it with a non-matching (and therefore, if you think about it, non-corporate!), unbalanced, tasteless free-for-all

3. Northwest Airlines - love the airline but they haven't had a good livery since the '50s - and surely the current one is upside-down?

4. United - a mush of ill-matched colours with the long-serving and instantly recognisable 'three stripes' demoted to an almost invisible size

5. American - either paint them or polish them, but don't stop halfway between the two!

USAFHummer

1. British Midland new colors
2. Southwest new colors
3. Iberia (dont know why)
4. Cayman Airways
5. American

Greg

juanchito

I have to put

Alitalia
KLM
American Airlines
JAS
Lineas Aereas Argentinas

juanchito

ryanb741

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:15 pm

Air France planes look so bland compared to their rivals. Just go to LHR and see all the different planes side by side, with their interesting colour schemes from around the world. Then compare it with the ugly duckling that is Air France. Not very imaginative, n'est-ce pas?

Rememver, this thread is only discussing the liveries of the airlines, not their performance. Air France is as it turns out a very good airline, it's only (in my opinion) the bland colour scheme that I am criticising.

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:28 pm

Ryanb741

On Wunala Dreaming....

No no-one smoked too much of anything.

If you knew anything about what Wunala Dreaming is all about, and the Aboriginal Dreamtime, you would know that red is a major colour in Aboriginal art.

Wunala tells one of the many dreamtime stories of my people.

If you like it or not, isn't really here nor there, because QF know they are onto a winner with both Wunala and Nalanji (I prefer Nalanji myself);

But maybe you would like to tell us why you don't like Wunala.

As to me, I like all liveries....but if some had to point out one livery which is no improvement on the former, I would have to say Air Pacific, which had the "rainbow" on the rear of the fuselage, but now have an all-white fuselage, with only "Fiji" on the tail. Even the FJ people are not happy with this change, and there is talk of it reverting back to the old scheme.

Western737

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:41 pm

I am surprised that some of you dislike Delta's new livery? I really thought it's real neat livery on the tail. Oh well, everyone's opinion.

Here's mine:

United Airlines - Gray top making it look too depressing.
Aer Lingus - need more contrastion
British Midland - not look quite "airline"
Air India - still flying real old liveries?
Northwest - need less gray color.
Sun Country - need improve "S" logo. Livery nice but logo ruin it.
SAS - seem still little too plain. I dont know what's missing.
Continental - dislike the gray bottom.
Air Fiji - too much white and too little rainbow.
AirTran - Dislike that tan color. Like Valujet better.

ryanb741

Brissie Lions.

Having lived in Australia for five years I know exactly what the Dreamtime is about, although I admit to not being perfectly 'au fait' with the Wunala Dreaming story. However, it is art that is aesthetically not pleasing to me based on my personal tastes. The 'smoking' remark was just a flippant comment, nothing more.

Remember, you are perfectly entitled to like and dislike whatever schemes you choose, as am I. If I had realised that people would get so uptight about what is effectively a light-hearted thread then I would not have made any comment.....

Victor Hotel

Brissie is right, I think they are great color schemes, I do like Nalanji better though, I think it adds interest to an airline to have one or two odd color schemes. A few I find a bit boring or not that impressinve are, the old BWIA scheme(fairly old looking) Iberia, Aeroleneas Argentinas, American Airlines(The polished aircraft I dont like that much), Delta's old sheme, and Cathay Pacific's old scheme, new schemes are good, and Sabena very plain. This doesnt mean anything about these airlines service of course,
VH

Notarzt

Wed Feb 28, 2001 10:43 pm

TOP 10 LIST:

1. Virgin Atlantic
2. Iberia
3. Saudi Arabian Airlines
4. Royal Jordanian
5. Air Jamaica
6. Trans World Airlines
7. Lan Chile
8. Cathay Pacific
9. BWIA International
10. Iraqi Airways

All in current (year 2000) colour schemes.

Daniel

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:01 pm

Ryanb741

I am not saying you can't not like or have to like an given livery. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

All I was asking was as to why you didn't like Wunala?

And talk about people getting uptight.

Geeze!

But I will say one thing Ryan.....you CANNOT "know exactly what the Dreamtime is about, and not know the story of Wunala, because Wunala Dreaming is one of the basic dreamtime stories told by the Yanyuwa people, and doesn't differ much from the Yankunytjatjara to the Pitjantjara to the Nyoongar.

If you want to know more about Wunala here it is for you

http://www.qantas.com.au/company/news/articles/wunala_dreaming.html

RE: What Flag Is This, Western737?

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:12 pm

Could you tell me what kind of flag the new Delta tail is wearing? What is the story behind this choice of tailfin livery?
Thank you for your reply.

Norbert

airmale

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:17 pm

Too many to list here Smile

RE: Please Try It Again, Airmale!

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:20 pm

Please Airmale, let try it again. I'm looking forward to it; just the 5 worst would be okay.

a380

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:38 pm

IMO,
the good:
JetBlue
JAS
Hainan Airlines

the bad:
UA, NW (too much grey on both)
JMC (absolutely terrible)
Southwest (old colour)

aviasian

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:44 pm

Instead of identifying the 10 worst liveries (in my opinion) and exposing my lack of knowledge in the histories behind many of these liveries, I shall focus on identifying my favourite liveries:

1. Qantas Airways' Wunala / Nalanji Dreaming. These are great works of aboriginal art from Australia, and seen in great light, they are nothing less than stunning.

2. Air Tahiti Nui. The ripple effect in blue with a frangipani flower is truly pretty, and is brimming with the Polynesian flavour.

3. Iraqi Airways. Two very beautiful shades of the Islamic colour - green. Very smart on just about every plane, especially on the B742 and B747SP.

4. Finnair's new colours. Although also a Euro-white, it projects a very clean image, balanced by the blue engines. Would be great if Finnair revives the tradition of painting Santa Claus on the wide expanse of whiteness on the fuselage.

5. Northwest Cargo's 3-Speed Select Service. Great rendition of the NW & KL logos on the rear fuselage, with the engine fans being used as a clock face on the forward fuselage. Very pleasant livery to ogle and photograph.

Many more great liveries beg mention . . . but these five come to mind first.

chepos

Wed Feb 28, 2001 11:51 pm

Notartz you listed the top ten best or the top ten worst . Cause I cant concive how someone put Saudi Araibian , Royal Jordanian , TWA and other airlines colors as bad . And I most say Nalanji and Wunala are the best color schemes that Qantas has on there jets . They are just beatifull and very colorfull .
Chepos
Puerto Rico

Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:14 am

Of all time the ugliest in my opinion is Braniff. Their orange planes look like crap.

Of now??

1. American, it looks too 80s, if they put the new retro scheme on all their planes that would be nice

2. Olympic, looks too old

3. The 10 year old Canadian scheme that some planes are still painted in even after they were bought by AC. It never looked good, especially now compared to all the new schemes that other airlines use.

Western737

Thu Mar 01, 2001 12:38 am

liladesi,

Here's the new Delta's flag we were talking about.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

na

Thu Mar 01, 2001 1:05 am

Flag? I thought Deltas tail is covered by an old plastic bag!

And to Notarzt: I assume you listed your Top Ten of the BEST schemes looking at your list, because all 10 are excellent. Virgin Atl., Royal Jordanian, Saudi Arabian, LanChile are some of the very best colour schemes of the world. Just saw LanChiles A340 yesterday evening in FRA. Fantastic!

RE: Please Reply On This, Western737

Thu Mar 01, 2001 1:07 am

I know the current Delta livery, thank you for sending the picture. But my question is, where is the flag based on. What kind of flag is this; it's definitely not the USA. Is it an own created Delta company-flag (with the Delta housestyle colours involved)? Can you tell me something about the story behind this flag?

kmia

Notarzt

Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:01 am

for me you listed all the good ones ??!!  Confused

Early Air

Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:14 am

I do not like WN's new painsheme that mich. I liked their old one. Iberia's paint sheme is not that nice. I think El Al's is a little plain. I do not like ATA's that much not Air Trans.

Rgds,
Early Air

Western737

Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:37 am

Liladesi, sorry, I misunderstood.

I am pretty sure that Delta's flag style is their own created, otherwise I have no idea where they get the idea from.

Superfly

Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:57 am

New Delta
Continental
America West
British Airways (Theme planes)
Sabena

Samurai 777

Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:52 am

The Top Ten Worst:

Aerolineas Argentinas - The newest c/s, a la Iberia has got to be the worst c/s change I've ever seen!

Aeroflot - Why don't the Russians ever paint their planes' tails in all of the a/c instead of that dinky Russian flag!?

Spirit Airlines - At least they could paint the MD-80's tails and skinny fuselage better.

Cyprus Airways - The tail looks bad.

Southwest (The old c/s) - WN's colors have been in the 70's far too long. It's about time that it had that new c/s, which I like much better.

United - too much gray.

Olympic - too old-looking.

ATA - c/s doesn't look that professional.

American - current stripes are fine, but do something about the patchwork silver/gray!!

Aer Lingus - the new livery looks even worse than the earlier one, especially the strip along the windows.

Canadian (80s c/s, before the Goose) - Very 80's, very stuck-up looking. 'Nuff said.

Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:27 am

I will go for a top 10. But the first one is not the worst, just some worse liveries:

* Air India - Just a 70's livery
* Air portugal - Really dull to use the color in such way as that
same for:
* Royal air maroc
* Allitalia - No comment.. look for yourself (note the black nose!
* British Airways - Not clear WHICH livery  Big grin I hope they will return to the old livery
* JAL - COLOR scheme???
* Monarch - just don't like it
* Olympic Airways - Just a 70's livery
* Malev (hungary) - See Allitalia
* Sabena - okay, that they are bankrupt, i can understand. But not to paint your planes...

I hope i do not insult some one with my hotlist  Big grin It is only based on personnel taste. No hard feelings?

Greetings.

VirginLover

Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:40 am

Iberia- I'm sorry, but Disco, and that 70's paint scheme is dead. When I was little, when my brother and I were at the airport, we used to make fun of Iberia so much, saying "I hope I never fly that busted airline"... LOL
British Airways' Old Scheme- So boring and uptight looking. The new one isn't bad.
Easy-jet- Safety orange is nice... just not on a plane!
Delta's Old Scheme- Just because that's all I seem to see when spotting from my house.
Virgin Blue- Even for my favorite company... thumbs down.

Joona

RE: Aviasian

Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:56 am

The Santa Claus will no longer be seen in Finnair planes, at least on the MD-11. It will cost about 100 000 FIM (rouhly USD 16130) to put it there. It won't be but there simply for financial reasons.

Z

airmale

Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:17 am

Since you insist ill give you my best that will give you an idea of how bad the others are;

Biman Bangladesh
Gulf Air
Royal Air Maroc
Egypt Air
Air Mauritius
Air Tanzania infact most African and South American airlines especially Lan Chile absolute worst.
America West
NorthWest
Aero Mexico
LOT
Balkan
Olympic
Syrian Air
Kuwait Airways
Uzbekistan Airways
PIA
Indian Airlines
Air India
EVA Air

and all the white whale liveries Smile/happy/getting dizzy

747buff

Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:48 am

Anyone remember when Air India tried a new livery in 1990, but reverted to the old scheme due to overwhelmingly negative response? Maybe if we all get together, Delta will do this with their livery!

RE: Keep This Topic In The Air

Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:53 am

If you didn't give your reply to this topic yet, please do it now or later but keep this topic in the air. Thanks!

Norbert

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Mar 01, 2001 7:00 am

1 KLM (bland)
2 British Airways (Hmm. It was imaginative, however too extravagent. Too much blandness on the front and the arse)
3 Alitalia (too white)
4 Southwest (too eww)
5 Singapore Airlines (lovely airline, best, however, the livery is old and they should change it so people don't get reminded of the proud SIA tail that stood after the crash)
5 Vietnam Airlines (Horrible, blue white and black don't match)
6 JAL (get a life. That looks like a cigarette on the nose)
7 QANTAS (bland, boring, more umph, silver would be nice)
8 Emirates, (A380 and 74F looks alright,)
9 Aeroflot (If you're gonna do some aircraft do them all)
10 Lufthansa (for the next 2 years, I'll forgive you but then, get a life)

lewis

Thu Mar 01, 2001 7:03 am

1. Cathay Pacific's old c/s. It was so uglu that i couldn't even look at it. The 744s were auful while wearing it! Thank god they didnt paint the 777s, A330s and A340s like that!

2. Southwest airline. The aircraft looked like a tin wearing the c/s and the new one is even uglier;"MOM, THE CIRCUS IS BACK IN TOWN"!!!  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Bob Durey - Aviation Photography of Miami

3. Olympic Airways. Although my favorite airline, I think that inspite of the small changes (from ugly rainbow that only suited 737s-Jumbos looked auful with that- to the triple line through the windows) the current scheme only suited the older 747s. The new aircraft would need something less banal to bring the looks of the airline in the new era! I am not talking about replacing the 6 circles but the fuselage needs a lot of work. What about introducing a fancy summer special c/s along with a general new c/s. This sounds nice!!!

4.Aeroflot. We like the new livery appearing on 737s and 777s but the current white with the russian flug is very boring and old!

5.Iberia. Although somehow nice, the planes look like fruit and the colors are outdated.

Super Em

Thu Mar 01, 2001 7:35 am

The ugliest of them all is BWIA.That green and gray is an eyesore.

Thu Mar 01, 2001 7:51 am

5) Southwest Airlines (Gold Color Scheme): Southwest must have originally painted the planes this color after Boeing put "desert gold" paint on sale when nobody else would buy it.

4)Southwest Airlines (Blue Color Scheme): Just when the old color scheme was becoming classic, these fools go and change it. I see a new Coke starter kit.

3) America West Airlines: The old color scheme was bad, but the Jurassic Park-esque font for its lettering is absurd. Either change the livery or go out of business in peace--I do not care which.

2) Aeroflot: It just makes you want to goose step, doesn't it.

1) Virgin Blue: So many objectionable things, from the fact that the airline is called blue but the color scheme is red to the garish web address on the side. But the clencher is the fact that it is just "plane" hideous.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos