Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm672
Topic Author

Private Pilot

Mon Mar 12, 2001 8:31 am

how old do u have to be to take lessons and how much does it cost? (USA)

Mit

RE: Private Pilot

Mon Mar 12, 2001 8:43 am

Minimum age to solo = 16
Minimum age for license = 17
Minimum age for lessons = if you can use a computer, you are old enough

Cost in US for a private license is $3,000 to $5,000.
Intro flight usually runs $35.

More info on topic in past threads

Happy Flying!

Mon Mar 12, 2001 8:43 am

You do not have to be any age to take lesson. I took my first lesson when I was 13. You have to be 16 to solo and 17 to get your license!
I would estimate to spend $100 an hour, as if you plan on the exact amount (plane instructor) you will always go over, and you will have supplies to stuff, and you will normally fly a bit over an hour!
The most important thing about learning to fly as a kid, is your parents! If you parents support you it will be fine. I remember for the first 6 months my parents paid for all my lessons drove me back and fourth to the airport, ect. As soon as I turned 16 I got a job and started to pay for it all, I got my divers license and drove myself, and my parents (who are great) where totally cool about it! When you get your license cool parents are great to have, as if they do not let you fly and enjoy your license it is not nearly as much fun! I remember telling my mum that me and some friends where off to Vegas for In and Out, and her reply was 'OK enjoy, and Take Care', I felt that was pretty cool, for a mum who son had decided he wanted to go to Vegas for dinner! (I did not tell how much is wwas going to cost though Smile)
Iain

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:08 am

You can solo a glider at 14 and get your private glider license at 16.

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:18 am

You can fly an ultralight at 0! No Joke!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Iain

gocaps16

Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:44 am

Iain, anyone can fly the ultralight, it's like driving a car. you don't need any licenses or ratings to fly an ultralight. There are no FAA restrictions on flying an ultralight. If you crash, it's your fault.

I started taking my first flying lesson when I was 14. Flying at a young age is a great expierence. But if I'm a couple years from soloing or getting your license, I'd fly at least 2 timesa month and save up some money while you turn 16 and during the summer fly a few times a week. I'm now flying at least 2 times a week but during spring break, I'm flying all 10 days pending on good weather. In that case, I should get my license next month.

The girl that crashed the plane couple years back was only 7 when she died. I think she was 7. Oh well.

Kevin/DCA

Mon Mar 12, 2001 2:43 pm

Please guys, that little girl was killed by the ineptitude of a flight instructer - she was in no way a pilot. It was the CFI who tookoff over max gross weight into a thunderstorm. She was merely a passenger and always was. As for the comment, "Anyone can fly an ultralight" - just because you don't need a license doesn't mean that you don't need to receive competent instruction inorder to fly it. Those things can be a lot of fun, but they'll also get you "seriously killed" if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

SophieMaltese

Mon Mar 12, 2001 3:28 pm

My instructor told me today he has a ten-year-old student. I guess it will be a while until he can solo though.

Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 pm

Gocaps16 I understand FAR 103 (ultralight ops) that is why I made the point!
Iain

Tue Mar 13, 2001 12:23 am

Why is it so expensive i the USA?
In my flying club in Germany it costs only $50 US per year and then $7 up to 550m by tug and $3 by cable up to 300m winch.
Nothing else.
In our club we have
ASK21

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Julio Castillo Jr.

DG505

Discus

LS4

Click for large version

Photo © Peter Vercruijsse

and some other privete gliders which can be used...

Click for large version

Photo © Wil Janssens

Click for large version

Photo © Roland Cartarius

Click for large version

Photo © Tom E Weber

iwantanL1011

Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:50 am

Hey, I just got my private ticket, the total cost was actually around 5800.. My lessons were $135 (including
airplane, a warrior) I also bought a nice headset, lots
of maps, etc.

klm672
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2001 5:28 am

Guys, thanks alot for all the replies, I'm looking into getting my ppl, but until then I have fs2000. (I'm 14 btw)

Tue Mar 13, 2001 5:48 am

TOP,

I love those photos, thanks for posting them! I used to fly the ASK21 and ASK13 Duals at my Gliding Club in the beautiful Shropshire hills.

We were launched by Cable (catapulted, actually!), or by bungee launch (being pushed off the edge of the mountain!!) if the headwind was appropriately strong.

Just out of interest, Flying Lessons at Cambridge Airport cost GBP173!!! Due to the kindness of Her Majesty through the RAF, my flying lessons are all free  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

This is the exact same a/c I fly, belongs to Cambridge Uni Air Squadron:

Click for large version

Photo © Colin K. Work

Mit

Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:17 am

TOP,

The $$ figures are for a license in a powered aircraft such as a Cessna 172. Gliders are much cheaper. I think you will find that getting such a license in Germany is shockingly expensive.

Tue Mar 13, 2001 8:44 am

There's an awful lot to be said for getting some glider time at some point in your flying career. I honestly believe that it makes a much better pilot out of you. It's a reasonably easy rating to add on to an existing license - no written test is required if you already have a "power" rating. Most people can do it in 2 or 3 days, schedule permitting. Buy the way, I learned to fly in an 65 HP Aeronca Champ in 1966. Back then the airplane cost me $4.00 an hour including fuel and the instructor was another $6.00. You could rent a brand new Cessna 150 in 10 hour blocks for $6.00 an hour. I think my entire license only cost something like $600.00 Things have certainly changed! But it was still awful expensive when you only earned $1.25 an hour bagging groceries.

aa737

Tue Mar 13, 2001 8:57 am

My lessons run at about $100 an hour, but I think there are also surcharges for the instructor. I htink one of the reasons it is i bit more expensive then other places is that we use all new C172s, but the aircraft where one of the reasons I choose the club when I moved out here.

Herman

Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:36 pm

Hey,

For example :

US$5000 for PPL what are the other stuff that I need to pay ? How long does it take and how much is it to get an accomodation.

Is it a must for me to get my own HEADSET ?

Total Flying COST + Accomodation = ?

Where is it cheap to fly in the US and reliable !!

Thanx

c172akula

Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:59 pm

I got my private license about 4 months ago and the cost was $7500 Cdn. Also take in mind that the cost will vary with how long it takes you to complete it. I'm not sure what the minimum is in the US, but in Canada it is 45 hours total.

klm672
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:26 am

Onece again, thanks for all the replies, do u know the website/e-mail for Franklin CO State VT airport???

Sat Mar 17, 2001 10:42 am

If you are thinking about flying out of there, and choosing a flight school. Do not start your search online, go down there speak to the people, look at there planes, see how they preseve you as a young-un! You never know the flight school with the worst website could have the best safety record and be best for you!
Iain

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos