Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA Surcharge

Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:59 pm

This morning as I was watching the today show on NBC, I found out that American Airlines is going to start charging an extra $10 to all tickets if you wish to recieve a paper ticket. I think that is rediculous.

contrails

RE: AA Surcharge

Mon Apr 02, 2001 11:56 pm

Ridiculous isn't the word. I am a long time AA passenger, and this outrages me.

They can just charge me ten bucks. I WANT A HARD TICKET.
Flying Colors Forever!

Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:10 am

I also agree this is very strange , what kind of image does this send out in light of the TWA deal now ? Does AA (Awful Airlines) need extra cash ?

~Lindbergh Line

RWally

Tue Apr 03, 2001 12:11 am

The only reson the airlines do this is to save money. However, I will pay an additional $10 for a paper ticket because if my flight is cancelled, I can go to another airline.

Iflewrepublic

Tue Apr 03, 2001 2:42 am

Another reason, other airlines won't honor another carriers electronic ticket...therefore, you're stuck with that carrier should anything happen.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

blink182

Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:20 am

Guys, get over it! It is a measly 10 bucks! They are probably encouraging booking online at AA.com.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

TonyBurr

Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:23 am

Besides not being able to switch e-tkts to another airline due to the many delays and cancelations, you can not use curbside check in.

It is one more example of AA and other airlines soaking us for every cent tehy can. Yes, it is "only" $10.00, but it is the attitude. Of course, if you are traveling with a family of five, that is an extra $50.00.

chepos

Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:27 am

10 bucks can make a difference wether you can buy some snacks at the airport or some souveneirs . AA charges way too much for the poor service that they give . They should start acting like the world airline they are and stop being so frugal .
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

AgnusBymaster

Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:28 am

So, it's ridiculous for American to charge a measily $10 for paper-tickets, a concept which is already in place at certain smaller carriers, yet they are just being "competitive" by charging a $100 ticket change fee.

Strange minds you people have.

asqx

Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:36 am

Iflewrepublic wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Another reason, other airlines won't honor another carriers electronic ticket...therefore, you're stuck with that carrier should anything happen.

TonyBurr wrote:
Besides not being able to switch e-tkts to another airline due to the many delays and cancelations, you can not use curbside check in.

Actually, so long as you have the airline that you bought the e-ticket with change you over to another airline, you can get moved to a different airline. CO was more than willing to move me on to a TWA flight when their flight was overbooked.

Also, you can use curb side checkin when you have e-tickets. I have done this several times on trips on United, Continental, and TWA. At some airports they are not able to do curb side checkin, but that isn't true at every airport.

ILOVEA340

Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:59 pm

deal with it!!! hey e-tickets are easier anyways. Other airlines offer discounts for "e" and AA offers openalty for paper. oh well. who needs a paper ticket any way.

Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:15 pm

The e-tickets save the airline 5-7 dollars in paperwork per ticket. I think American would preffer to call this a 10 dollar discount for those who use E-tickets.

PS (all the fares are going up 10 bucks)

doug

Wed Apr 04, 2001 12:23 am

For the people who believe the hype about not being able to get on another airline if there is a cancellation and you have an e-ticket.You can get put on another carrier just as easy with a e-ticket as a paper ticket.Some of you need to read some of the older post about this.As far as the 10 bucks GET OVER IT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos