Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Was Seattle A Hub For UAL In The Past?

Sun May 06, 2001 6:26 pm

In the past, there were MANY of UAL's fleet going through Seattle to various parts of North America. For example: SFO-YVR Via SEA, LAX to YVR Via SEA etc etc. And many of UAL's flights from Hong kong go to Seattle first.

That was in the 80s as well as early 90s, when they first took over Panam.

Does anyone know whether or not SEA was a hub for UAL?

ALso, any chance for UAL to fly to HKG from SEA? They did that before and I guess get to places like KUL from SEA via HKG with a B 777-200ER. What do you guys think?

RE: Was Seattle A Hub For UAL In The Past?

Mon May 07, 2001 2:10 am

Here's two snapshots of Seattle's history with United...

In June 1975 nonstops offered to Boise, Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Kennedy, Portland, Reno, San Diego, San Francisco and Vancouver...about 40 departures

Every type of a/c United flew passed thru SEA daily, 727, 737, DC8, D8S, D10 and 747.

In June 1973, United offered about 40 daily flights as well, although nonstops were also offered to Boston, Baltimore and Oakland.

dutchjet

Mon May 07, 2001 2:30 am

UA had a very strong presence in Seattle (and Portland); with flights along the pacific coast and to destinations in the northwest US as well as to chicago and transcontinental. That was before regional-feeder airlines and most airlines redesigning their route maps around super-hubs. Was it a hub, not really, more like a focus city to use today's terms. There was much point to point service in and out of SEA.

UA launched its first trans-pacific route out of SEA, to Tokyo; UA had to give that route up when it bought Pan Am's pacific operations. I believe that the route from SEA to NRT was reassigned to CO, who was short on cash on the time and sold it to AA who still operates it.

When UA was more powerful in SEA, Alaska Airlines was a much smaller player, with very few or no flights going south of Seattle, and the other big airlines of the time, TWA, AA, EA, DL, etc. had very little or no service at all to SEA! Times change, SEA was once very much controlled by UA and NW, that is why when the new airport terminal opened, those 2 airlines had the 2 seperate terminal buildings.

exitrowaisle

Mon May 07, 2001 3:02 am

I have flown through SEA many MANY times in the past 15 years. United always had (and has) a big presence there, with their own very nice satellite terminal, but i would not have considered it a "hub"...it was mostly point-to-point. SEA is not really a good geographic location for an east-west hub. It was/is a hub for connections to United Express to smaller towns in Washington and Oregon (Pasco, etc.). A lot of the flights from SEA along the west coast are now Shuttle flights, but still a lot of mainline jets... I flew through there yesterday and saw a 777, and numerous A319s and A320s. Also a lot of United Express turboprops. What is a little strange is the number of American jets in SEA these days. There were several MD80s, even a 777 at their gates. It's an odd sight, because only a few years ago you'd almost NEVER see an AA plane there. How times change!!

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2001 3:10 am

Actually, do you guys think they might restart the SEA-HKG route in the future? I mean some day.

dutchjet

Mon May 07, 2001 5:52 am

UA restarting SEA-HKG? I think only if they can also open flights to other pacific rim destinations. I think that UA is now focused on the pacific ex-LAX and SFO, and ex-ORD as longer-range aircraft become available.

N400QX

Mon May 07, 2001 8:22 am

>I believe that the route from SEA to NRT was reassigned to CO, who was short on cash on the time and sold it to AA who still operates it.

Not quite. AA does, in fact, run a NRT-SEA flight with the 777 six days a week. United has seven flights a week to NRT from SEA, also on the 777.

SEA is kind of a 'mini-hub' for United. It provides excellent connections for its United Express carrier (SkyWest) to destinations throughout the northwest.

Today's destinations on United from SEA include JFK, LAX, IAD, DEN, ORD, ANC, NRT, & SFO. The aircraft they currently use here include 727, 737, 757, 777, A319, and A320 types. Maybe we'll see a UA 744 here sometime?  Big grin

ContinentalEWR

Mon May 07, 2001 8:26 am

United is by no means small at SEATAC. It operates its flights out of the North Satellite and has dozens of flights to ORD, DEN, and along the West Coast, as well as to Tokyo. Seattle is not geographically suited to a major hub operation (it works for AS because AS is a regional airline).

I believe the largest carrier at SEA is AS with Horizon,
then UA, then NW, then AA then WN.

ContinentalEWR

Mon May 07, 2001 8:50 am

IF HKG is a hub for Star, I think UA will launch SEA-HKG. Too bad HKG is not a STAR hub.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos