Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rey777
Topic Author

747-400 Cockpip Experience?

Sun May 06, 2001 7:07 pm

Anyone has a 747400 cockpit flight experience ? How was it ?

philb

RE: 747-400 Cockpip Experience?

Sun May 06, 2001 7:19 pm

Had around 5 hours on various Virgin aircraft.

The glass cockpit is very different from the analogue 100, 200 and 300srs and the deletion of the Engineer's position makes for a different arrangement - in effect the cockpit seems smaller, though this may be an illusion due to the re-arrangemet of panels etc.

I have a great deal of cockpit time and, unless it is my first visit on a new type, I tend to discuss operational or industry topics with the crew but, on my last two visits, I took other passengers, one an enthusiast the other not.

Both had been in cockpits before but were amazed by the technology. The enthusiast was impressed how muchlike a Flight Sim add on he had bought the whole thing was - even down to the dark beige colour scheme!

Sun May 06, 2001 7:21 pm

Yes, on a BA simulator at Cranebank (their training HQ's at LHR).

It cost me an absolute fortune, but was well worth it.

We flew the JFK, SFO and LHR approaches (with a near miss over the NY harbour-his fault Big grin ), as well as an exciting approach into a diversionary airfield in Greenland.

We passed under the Golden gate and between the twin World Trade towers in Manhattan-the "graphics" or whatever you call them, are amazingly realistic.

Had a brilliant time, I can't beleive how responsive such a huge, lumbering 747 could be!

BTW, I noticed that there are a number of rather large fuel depot tanks at the end of the r/w at SFO......so I really hammered the toe-brakes, resulting in us stopping short of the last exit; mmmmm........not very clever of me!

The company that sells hours on the sims:

http://www.virtualaviation.co.uk

Hint: Don't tell your folk what you did with "all that money we gave you for Xmas!!" Big grin

BTW, if you were only actually talking about flightdeck visits during a normal flight-yep, of course it's great fun-I've always got the impression flightcrew are quite lazy though....!

Cheers,
CP

godbless

Sun May 06, 2001 9:33 pm

Back in 1995 i flew on Lufthanasa 747-400 D-ABVD from FRA to MEX. The flight was about 12 or 13 hours long of which I spent 8 in the cockpit, including the landing at MEX! It was awsome. You can't compare it to the 747 classics. In 1998 I flew on Air Canada 747-100 C-FTOE (scrapped in 1999) from Toronto to FRA and I also spent some time in the cockpit and that was different.... While the Dash 400 has a nice cockpit with 6 screens the -100 had switches and nobes everywhere. You really can see the 20 years difference.

WorldTraveller

Sun May 06, 2001 9:47 pm

Capt. Picard:

How were you able to fly between the World Trade Center towers with a B744??????????

Wondering...

the WorldTraveller

Sun May 06, 2001 10:01 pm

WorldTraveller,

It was on a simulator, and the gap in the simulator between the twin towers, is wide enough to allow a B747 to fly through, albeit by a close margin.

Cheers,
CP

TK

Sun May 06, 2001 10:56 pm

Yes, plenty and it still gets me every time how small the cockpit really is...the pictures you see of the cockpit tends to look roomy, buts its not! The plane itself is huge...but once you get inside the cockpit, its like a little attic and there's a distintive sound of air rushing past.

frequentflyer5

Mon May 07, 2001 12:29 am

Joined the cockpit crew for a couple of hours over Anchorage on a IAD to NRT 14 hour flight on ANA's 747-400. The pilot and co-pilot were very friendly and thorough with the tons of questions I had.

I am always amazed as to how small those cockpits are and how technologically advanced they are compared to 100s and 200s.

rey777
Topic Author

RE: 747-400 Cockpit Experience?

Tue May 08, 2001 6:22 am

Thks for all your experience folks!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos