Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StarAlliance
Topic Author

USA To Guam, Domestic Or International?

Thu May 24, 2001 3:39 pm

The flight from USA mainland, i.e. the 50 states, to Guam is it considered as domestic or international?

Do passengers from US mainland need to show their passport on arrival? Because the immigration procedure for the real international passengers from other countries into Guam is a bit different from the US mainland, such as BN(O) doesn't need a visa to enter Guam but they need a visa to the 50 states!

jrlander

RE: USA To Guam, Domestic Or International?

Thu May 24, 2001 8:57 pm

The only non-stop flights from US to Guam are from HNL. Passengers must go through customs on arrival in Guam and on arrival in HNL from Guam. While it is a territory of the USA, it is not considered part of the USA.

StarAlliance
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2001 11:53 pm

So, strictly speaking, it is an international route, right?

trickijedi

Fri May 25, 2001 12:07 am

Yes, I think that the only port-of-entry into the U.S. from Guam or Micronesia is through Hawaii. And since Guam is not one of the U.S. 50 states, I would guess it would be technically be an international flight.

Well, think about this for a second. I used to visit Washington state (US) all the time and ran across an "international" airport in a small town that bordered Washington and British Columbia, Canada. I mean, you would laugh at this airport if you ever saw it. It looks like someone was bored one day and started scraping dirt to make a runway. The airport had one 1500 foot dirt runway and the only plane I ever saw land there was a charter Cessna that would transport people into one of the Canadian islands from Washington, US. But, strictly speaking, it was an international flight flying from an international airport. Go figure that one out. But people pay this guy to fly them over because it's more convenient than taking a ferry and cheaper too.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

PanAm747

Fri May 25, 2001 1:35 am

It's domestic. It is a USA territory so you do not have to go through customs if you're coming from the US. This is the same for San Juan Puerto Rico. If you go from say MIA-San Juan your flight is considered a domestic flight and you do not have to go through customs.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

MAH4546

Fri May 25, 2001 1:46 am

Domestic. Flights to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are also domestic.
a.

co/ba

Fri May 25, 2001 1:58 am

It is considered international you do need to clear customs unlike mainland to Puerto Ricco. Even though both are U.S. territories . I personnaly have not traveled this route but a co-worker has many of times and he says you got to clear customs

ScottB

Fri May 25, 2001 2:03 am

I'll second that you have to clear immigration and customs when flying from GUM to HNL or HNL to GUM because I've done it. You actually pre-clear immigration in GUM to fly to HNL.

MAC_Veteran

Fri May 25, 2001 2:16 am

You must clear Guam Customs primarily for declaring any baggage that may contain food or plant items. As for Immigration it's a little strange. I'd deem it a quasi-domestic/international arrival procedure for Guam because of the very sensitive situation the ecology and populace are facing on the island (read that as omnipresent "brown tree snake problem" and a growing illegal immigrant problem from China - boats with people in them head for Guam and the CNMI now instead of the US mainland)

You can present your passport or any valid form of ID upon arrival, such as a drivers license, to the inspector. I must say though that it's been quite a few years since I've flown to or from Guam so anyone who has flown CO's HNL-GUM nonstop or the multi-stop Island Hopper..I'd like to hear what's new at GUM or SPN.

I'm thinking about a *really relaxing* vacation to Palau (been there before and it is perfect for 'communing with nature' (G) this fall in addition to a really *wild* itinerary involving Thailand, Germany and the UK this winter (and possibly Malaysia if I can manage it-I want to check it out while in Thailand)

Regards
MAC

jrlander

Fri May 25, 2001 3:29 am

I, too, have actually flown the route. The last time was in 1996. I had to clear customs in both directions. I always understood that one had to have a passport to do it. I could be wrong on this, however. We have always had passports and have used them even when travelling to the USVI. It was just easier.

philh83

Fri May 25, 2001 4:48 am

I have flown from GUM to HNL on CO, continuing to EWR, and had to present my passport to customs. However, no stamp was put inside the passport. By the way, for those that have visited Guam, GUM is a great little airport. Clean, open with plenty of food choices and a great duty free. Guam is a fun place for a vacation!

A330_DTW

Fri May 25, 2001 2:16 pm

If you travel on Northwest Airlines from the USA to Guam, you technically do not need a passport, even though you have to transfer through Tokyo. It is, however, highly suggested that you bring it with you.
You would be taken to the Transit Lounge and wait for your connection to Guam.

A330_DTW

Fri May 25, 2001 2:17 pm

I should have said "from the US mainland...not from the USA".

Fri May 25, 2001 2:42 pm

According to OAG Flight Guide's Supplement:

GUAM
Passports
Required, But NOT by the following:

1) Nationals of United States holding proof of citizenship

2) Persons arriving directly from United States mainland, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands

So I persume that it's domestic, cause US citizens don't need passports to Guam as well as Perto Rico.

ILOVEA340

Fri May 25, 2001 2:42 pm

International. Hawaii flights are also considered international aswell as some alaska flights.

StarAlliance
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2001 6:58 pm

The flight of HNL-Guam check-in at the international terminal or the domestic terminal?

jrlander

Fri May 25, 2001 10:39 pm

Hawaii flights and Alaska flights from the US mainland are not considered international. There is not customs or immigration.

StarAlliance:

When I last flew the HNL-Guam route, we just checked in at the Continental Airlines desk.

I was trying to find my passport to see if I got a stamp in either HNL or Guam from that trip, but then I remembered that it had expired three years ago.

I still think that it is considered international, but that Americans may only have to clear customs and not passport control.

PanAm747

Fri May 25, 2001 11:09 pm

I think I was wrong, you might have to clear customs-

http://travel.state.gov/micronesia.html
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

A330_DTW

Fri May 25, 2001 11:45 pm

No passport control for US citizens, just customs according to the following website:

http://navigation.helper.realnames.com/framer/1/262/default.asp?realname=Guam&url=http%3A%2F%2Fns%2Egov%2Egu&frameid=1&providerid=262&uid=17409855

Customs
Guam, also called Guahan {meaning "we have"}, is a duty free port and is outside the United States Customs Zone. All luggage containers are inspected upon arrival by customs officials. Importation of plants, fruits, and animals are restricted without proper documentation from the point of origin. Narcotics and deadly weapons are also prohibited.

Documentation
American citizens do not need a passport to enter Guam, although some itineraries may pass through ports that require them, so it is a good idea to carry yours on your visit to Guam. Citizens of other countries require a passport and a U.S. visa.

ScottB

Sat May 26, 2001 2:07 am

If I recall correctly, the terminal design at GUM doesn't allow for the separation of incoming international passengers and incoming domestic (i.e. from Hawaii) passengers (as well as all outbound passengers); thus, everyone has to clear Guam Immigration and Customs, though U.S. citizens are not required to present a passport (just as if you were arriving from Canada or Mexico).

Same for outbound GUM to HNL - you pre-clear U.S. Immigration at GUM (they stamp your boarding pass if you're a U.S. citizen). When you arrive at HNL, you bypass Immigration if you can present a current boarding pass with that stamp, but you must still pass through Customs and Agricultural Inspection. The other interesting thing about CO's GUM-HNL flight is that it arrives the day before it leaves.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos