Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TomH
Topic Author

Pop Quiz-who Made It, What Was It?

Mon May 28, 2001 7:38 am

When the first generation of jet airliners came on the scene, there were essentially two schools of thought as to where the engines should be located.

Aircraft such as the DeHavilland Comet and Tupolev Tu-104 championed the concept of engines buried within the wing, while American designs such as the Boeing 707, Douglas DC-8 and Convair 880 all took to the air with pod-mounted engines. Specifically, each of the four engines of these airliners was suspended on a pylon below the wing in an individual nacelle.

But there was another American design that was essentially identical in general layout to the three American aircraft above, and each of its four engines was pod-mounted.

My questions are

Which company manufactured this aircraft?

HINT: It was the losing design for USAF’s UCX competition.

If you know the answer, just tell us the manufacturer’s name. Let someone else tell us the aircraft’s model number.

If you know the aircraft’s model number, let someone else tell us when the first flight took place.

If you know when the first flight took place, tell us the engine model that powered this aircraft.

If you know what engines powered the aircraft, let some one else tell us who manufactured the engines.

If you know the manufacturer of the engines, then tell us the registration number(s) of the aircraft.

Good luck,
TomH

PS If you know all the answers, send them to me via email, and let the others guess.

No prizes will be awarded!

CPDC10-30

RE: Pop Quiz-who Made It, What Was It?

Mon May 28, 2001 7:48 am

You're forgetting the Avro Canada Jetliner  Smile/happy/getting dizzy It flew only 13 days after the Comet. Sorry I don't know the rest of the answers.

TomH
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2001 10:48 pm

CPD,

Thanks for trying, as you noticed, you were the only one that did.

The Avro Canada Jetliner did have four engines, but they were not pod-mounted on pylons. They were underslung from the wing, yes, but in a semi-buried nacelle design, very similar to a military contemporary of the day, the North American B-45 Tornado.

I guess this isn't the forum to which one should pose historical questions, judging by the lack of response. Really now, a four engine jet aircraft that looked much like the Beoing 707. No one here knows what it was?

TomH

IMissPiedmont

Tue May 29, 2001 12:41 am

I'll vote for the builder being McDonnell. No, not McDD, long before the merger.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

derekf

Tue May 29, 2001 3:41 am

Convair possibly?

Derek F
Whatever.......

derekf

Tue May 29, 2001 3:45 am

Sorry you said Convair. Was it East German built by any chance?

Derek F
Whatever.......

IFlyADesk

Tue May 29, 2001 3:50 am

Perhaps?

Manufacturer : MCDONNELL DOUGLAS
Model Name : 220
Aircraft Type : Fixed Wing Multi-engine
Engine Type : Turbojet
Aircraft Category : Land
Number of Engines : 4
Number of Seats : 12
Max. Gross Weight : Less than 12,500 lbs
Amateur Certification : Yes
Avg. Cruise Speed : 675 mph

(I know the reg# too, but I left it out)

fanofjets

Tue May 29, 2001 4:04 am

Methinks it was the Boeing 747, which lost to the Lockheed C-5A for the USAF contract for a large long-range cargo plane. The engines were...

In addition:

1. There was the McDonnell Model 220, a business jet with four engines each in its own pod slung under the wings. This design lost to the Lockheed Jetstar for the USAF contract for a personnel (VIP) transport.

2. The Soviets had a design, I believe built by Myasishchyev (but I could be very wrong) with two engines in underwing pods and two on the wing tips. I think this was a reconnaisance plane but it may have flown military personnel.

3. Around 1960, there were two four-engined designs where two engines were grouped in a single underwing pod. One was manufactured by Case in the US and the other by VEB in East Germany.

4. Four jetliners to be added to the above list: Boeing 367-80, Boeing 717 (Stratofreighter), Boeing 720, Convair 990. The standouts: the VC-10 and Il-62 with their podded engines mounted aft.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

timz

Tue May 29, 2001 1:01 pm

McDonnell only built the one "prototype", didn't they? As I recall it used _____ J__ engines, but they expected to use other engines in the production version.

IFlyADesk

Tue May 29, 2001 1:14 pm

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, Westinghouse J-34 maybe? And later a JT-_____...

IMissPiedmont

Hi TomH

Tue May 29, 2001 1:36 pm

One little clue has 'em going I guess. Are they getting close? Embarrassment-)
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

IFlyADesk

RE: Hi TomH

Tue May 29, 2001 1:50 pm

XXFEB59, N119M. I can go no further. And it WAS McDonnell, NOT McD as copied earlier.

TomH
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2001 2:16 am

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but I couldn't log on to a.net all morning for some reason.

You guys have come through nicely!

ImissPiedmont (I do, too!) You are correct-very good job!

IflyaDesk-That is the aircraft, but it sure can't be called a McDonnel Douglas product, as it was years before the merger. But then again, if we can call the F-16 a Lockheed product, well I guess anything goes.

Fanofjets-Whew, your really making me think! I want to give you my best response. You got the correct aircraft in your No. 1 reply-nice work!. In your No. 3, you brought up an interesting point. The Fairchild C-123A was a development of a Chase design and it had two paired pod-mounted engines (taken from a B-47). This was a tactical assault aircraft, and as far as I know was never intended for any other role.

TimZ/Iflyadesk--Yes, I believe there was just one of these aircraft built(Though I have seen reference to a McDonnel Model 119 also-notice the reg #). It flew with Westinghouse J-34 engines, which at the time were pretty ancient. Obviously, newer turbojets, and eventually fanjets would have become available very quickly.

The Model 120 was a very pleasing looking aircraft in the photos I have seen of it. I thought it was still sitting derelict somewhere in the southwest USA, but not sure. The UCX competition suffered delay, and Lockheed, the eventual winner with the Jetstar, almost took a huge loss because of this. I believe the military sales they achieved with the C-140 Jetstar were a disappointment to them, though I think we can say they had reasonable success with it in the bizjet market.

Thank you for participating, I just wish I could have gotten back to you sooner. ….see you later….
TomH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos