Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbus380
Topic Author

Your Longest Stay At An Airport

Tue May 29, 2001 6:17 am

I have stayed 23 hours spotting at IAH once. How long have you stayed at an airport delayed or spotting?

wolfpacker

RE: Your Longest Stay At An Airport

Tue May 29, 2001 6:19 am

I was delayed at ORD for about 48 hours several years ago because of a blizzard. Me and 10,000 of my closest friends.  Wink/being sarcastic

Tue May 29, 2001 6:20 am

I stayed at Lexington Airport for 45 hours waiting for an AirTran flight to come in...I never saw one.  Sad

ILOVEA340

Tue May 29, 2001 6:23 am

Longest after flying about 100 times is 5-6 hours while spotting. I have been very very lucky.

B747-437B

Tue May 29, 2001 6:25 am

Jeez... some of you kids need a life.

flyf15

Tue May 29, 2001 6:26 am

My longest stay without ever leaving a terminal was just shy of 11hrs (7pm till 6am the next day), at West Palm Beach Intl. Chose to spend the night there during a connection, I was the only non-employee in the entire airport.

Aside from that, I've had many spotting trips at DEN which have approached 14-18hrs in length.

ILOVEA340

Tue May 29, 2001 6:31 am

I could not imagine spotting for any more than say 5 hours and thats at a big airport like SFO. The longest I have ever spotted at a small (SJC or OAK)airport is like 1 -2 hours I only spot about 5-6 times per year as I have the SFO approach path above my house. I am about 15 miles from SFO so the planes are very low (some too low) When my parents arn'e home I ocasionaly take a pic or two.

aerorobnz

Tue May 29, 2001 7:07 am

I spent 9am-7pm spotting at AKL recently.....I had most of the regos that came in that day, but it was still a good day spotting.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ILOVEA340

Tue May 29, 2001 7:29 am

w/o starting a war here. How could you sit in an airport for so long??? Don't you have something else to do???

chepos

Tue May 29, 2001 7:37 am

I went on a vacation to NY to visiy my sis. She knows how much I love planes (shes a customs agent), so she invited me to go with her. I spent 8 hours at the TWA terminal spotting unfortunetly it was a very foggy day and I could hardly see. I was so dissapointed.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

Trvlr

Tue May 29, 2001 8:15 am

Last December I was delayed at ORD for about 12 hours because of a) a snowstorm, and b) a de-icing truck puncturing my Paris-bound plane's wing. Luckily my family and I had access to the ORD Admiral's Club, so at least for me the delay wasn't all that bad. Still, it looks like some of you have been a lot worse of than I!

Aaron G.

Tue May 29, 2001 8:17 am

12 hours. Stuck in Atlanta.

America West

Tue May 29, 2001 8:44 am

I was stuck in CLT for 6 hours due to a storm and engine problems with our A319.

modesto2

Tue May 29, 2001 3:11 pm

I spent 12 hours at LAX on Saturday. And you're asking why? Well, memorial day weekend leaves the campus quite...dead. And since I don't have the luxury of going home every weekend, I thought I'd spend the day with my best friends...

blink182

Tue May 29, 2001 11:43 pm

As far as layovers go, I have had a 3 hour layover at ORD while transiting from my DFW-ORD flight to my ORD-ZRH flight(this was in 1998) and that was one of the best delays ever. We are Admirals club members and the Admirals club at ORD offers a great view of the AA planes and the international terminal.
I also had one at JFK while going from DFW-JFK on AA to JFK-TLV on EL AL. We were in the King David Lounge and it wasn't too bad but there was nothing to do except get a lot of drinks.
For unscheduled delays/layovers. We had to stay at COS for 6 hours because our Delta flight was cancled and we couldn't go standby on AA because we had already transferred our reservations to a 6 o'clock flight because all the other flights were full. That was the only time I wished I was home. It was very boring and there wasn't any interesting planes. Also, I tried to get my dad to fly UA to DEN or America West to PHX and connect on a flight to DFW, but he wouldn't.
Oh yeah, how could someone spend 5 hours spotting? The most I have ever spotted is like an hour or two and I rarely go spotting because DFW is far away from everywhere.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

jwenting

Tue May 29, 2001 11:46 pm

22 hours at Alma Ata when the aircraft broke down and had to make a "precautionary" landing.
No facilities or hospitality either from either airport or airline staff (though the local police did provide armed guards).
I wish I were flying

wolfpacker

Tue May 29, 2001 11:51 pm

Alma Ata!

What was that airport like?

Wed May 30, 2001 2:06 am

I was delayed 10 hours at LGA due to heavy traffic and weather.

IndianGuy

Wed May 30, 2001 3:29 am

8 hrs at BOM domestic after 2 consecutive delays in a connecting flight. Not much by way of spotting (the visitors gallery was boarded up for security reasons). But spent time surfing the net in the net-cafe, calling up Bombay friends on the mobile, and other GTP (General Time PAss).
Definitely not an experience to be repeated. Anything more than 2 hours is sheer torture. A room definitely helps.

charlieduke

Wed May 30, 2001 3:36 am

My longest stay was neither spotting nor delay. I was waiting on line for a stand-by seat on People Express…… for four days in EWR. It was 1984 and they had just started once-a-day service to LGW for $99. The flights were all full so I couldn’t make reservations, but the res agent told me to come and stand-by, since stand-by’s always got on. If memory serves me correctly, I got into EWR on a Tuesday, got in line for a stand-by seat (approximately number 57) and, surprise, I didn’t get on. Now you must be wondering why I didn’t just put my name on the stand-by list and get a hotel. The simple reason is that there was no stand-by list. The counter personnel refused to take names for a stand-by list. They informed us that first in line would be the first on board. So we did what any self-respecting crowd of backpackers and college students would do. We put our packs down, unrolled our sleeping bags and set up camp. It was then that many of us discovered that there would be no flight the following day, and so it would be Thursday before any of us got on the flight.

Exacerbating the situation was the fact that the only food service available was the “Buffeteria,” an incredibly overpriced vending area with some of the worst food I have ever had. Still things went fairly well the first night, since most of us had a supply of granola bars and other forms of backpack food. The second night however, the cops came and tried to roust us out. After the riot was over (which included one particularly irate Irishman who jumped the counter, grabbed the Union Jack the proceeded to urinate on it) the cops decided to let us stay. Well Thursday rolled around and once again the flight left without me. Fortunately I was now about number 10 in line. Finally on Friday, I made the flight, about 76 hours after I landed at EWR.

srbmod

Wed May 30, 2001 3:36 am

My longest stay at an airport was last August in BOS. I was stuck about 12 hours, having been bumped from my flight. The last flight of the night had been cancelled, so I was bumped from my flight by those passengers. I was barely able to get on the first flight the next morning. Logan offers nothing at all in terms of options overnight, save for a Dunkin' Donuts. I tried to get a hotel room, but the only ones available were out of my price range. I ended up trying to nap on a bench (one with an armrest in the middle), but only managed a powernap. I spent most of the night roaming the terminal buildings and looking at the parked airplanes. That was a rough night for me.

captaink

Wed May 30, 2001 3:37 am

My longest stay in an airport was about 14 hours.. while i waited on my delayed American Trans Air charter flight from Grenada to Toronto.. wasnt i upset..

on the way back we had technical problems so we had to land in JFK.. to change aircrafts and we stayed about 4 hours theie.. But i like ATA nice.....
Look Up

GOT

Wed May 30, 2001 3:40 am

I have no real bad experience. The longest in a teminal must have been when I was waiting for my flight back to CPH from ORD, but only for a few hours. But I've been standing for several hours spotting  Smile.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

USAFHummer

Wed May 30, 2001 4:09 am

When I was about 11 my grandparents took me on a trip to ORD with AA out of EWR...going there everything was fine, however on the return, we arrived at ORD at 12 noon for a 5 PM flight!!! I still dont know what motivated them to get there so early, and then our flight was delayed another 2 hours so all in all I spent 7 hours at ORD...I think thats the longest for me...

I would like to spend all day spotting at an airport, however my dad tells me in essence to "get a life" when I bring it up...so that is not gonna happen for a while  Sad

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Wed May 30, 2001 4:18 am

I spent 12 hours in Madrid a couple years ago. The security people wouldn't let me leave the terminal, so I couldn't go check out the city. I don't remember what I did to pass the time, but I probably saw like 85% of Iberia's fleet. Madrid's new international terminal was nice, but the place Iberia sends you for food is dismal.

DTW/ORD Fan!

Wed May 30, 2001 4:57 am

Charlieduke- 4 DAYS!!!!!! What the hell motivated you to do THAT!?!? Geeeezzz...........
The longest time for me inside an airport is a 6 hr. delay at Chicago Midway, in 1999, when it was still dark, old, cramped, and uncomfortable.
Our NW flight to MSP was delayed and stuck in MSP due to severe storms over MDW and Chicagoland.
That was hell, the gate space is MINIMAL. I spent 3 1/2 hrs. sitting on the floor. There was NO open seats/benches. That airport was HORRIBLE.
So, instead of getting into MSP at 6 pm., we arrived at a desolate MSP at 1 AM!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos