Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1stClassFlyer
Topic Author

AirTran, Only Coach And Business?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:39 am

I was just looking on AirTran's website looking at fares. They have some very good deals. But, when offering fares, it only shows coach and business classes. Do they offer first? Some good fares i saw were MSP to FLL in business class is only $773.50, and coach only $178, those are some very good deals! And the prices are the same to other places in the country.

So my origional question, their website only shows fares and seems to only offer business class and coach...So do they have first class?

D L X

RE: AirTran, Only Coach And Business?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:46 am

No, they do not offer first. Most US domestic flights only have Coach and Business class. (Although some (UA) pretend that their Business class is First class.)

travatl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:53 am

AirTran's Business Class is basically First Class Seating minus the Hot Meals. Don't forget....it is still a discount airline. You'll get great leg room, a first class leather seat, a separate cabin, and free alcoholic drinks, but don't expect hot towels, IFE, or any type of meal service. Business Class passengers also recieve double flight credits through AirTran's A Plus Rewards ff program. It's actually a great deal for the $25 last-minute-at-the-great upgrade program offered.

Travis
1 Interview. 24 years. 3 Airlines.

1stClassFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:00 am

This 25$ up grade think you speak of, what is it? Upon check in you can pay a mere 25$ to up grade, if room is available? Thnks for any more info anyone can give me.

TWFirst

Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:01 am

Yes. That's it. I've done it. It's great.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

wilcharl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:05 am

Thats exactly right, you show up @ the gate and provided there are seats availbe, you pay 25 dollars to a major credit card, and your seat in coach now becomes a seat up front. You can also pay the full coach fare, and pay 25 dollars more if you want to do it in advance (business class fares are 25 dollars higher then the full coach fare) so here is a good example where this works:

You have 3 days notice to go to FLL so you have to pay the full fare. If you go ahead and pay the 25 dollars higher you get twice as many A+ rewards

3 flights in business = a free ticket
6 flights in coach = free ticekt

pay with AmEX and you double your #'s again

If you do the 25 dollar walk up you DO NOT get the double A+ rewards though.

Now Airtran also offers an A2B corporate travel program you can read about it online, it will get you free space availible business class upgrades.

1stClassFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:47 am

Wow...thats a great deal, its a wonder why everybody doesn't want to fly them. So in this case, is it best to check in as early as possible, to try to get the 25$ extra Biz class seat? It seems that way. Do alot of people know about this 25$ thing? Is it pretty rare to get the chance to get upgraded?

Thanks-

TWFirst

Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:15 am

In answer to your questions:

Yes. Probably. Depends on the route,time, etc.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Jun 07, 2001 11:33 am

I want my FC meal Smile

travatl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:25 pm

As far as checking in early...HIGHLY ADVISABLE.....if the B/C seats don't go fast....which they usually do....often agents will not allow anyone to upgrade within 30 min of departure time, or at least once the boarding process has begun (usually 25 - 30 min prior to dep) as they simply don't have the time to pull the record and process the card. You can also upgrade using cash at the tkt counter, but not at the gate.

Travis

1stClassFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:30 pm

I definately want to fly tem the next time i have the chance to!

wilcharl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:15 pm

Im sure you will enjoy it great service great flight attendents, and the best part is when you fly in the premium cabin on alot of major airlines (not to name names) but you of course get the most senior flight attendent who is a true senior... so your stuck with an old crabby senior f/a, ive never had a crabby F/A on any airtran flights which i am up to 42 since january  Smile

1stClassFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:20 pm

wow 42 flights with them. How many have you paied coach for, then upgraded? or have you payed for biz all those times? It just shocks me how low their fares are, compared to some major airlines.

travatl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:34 pm

I'm pleased to say as a 6 year flight attendant with AirTran, I am indeed one of the "senior flight attendants" there. I'm also a Flight Service Manager, meaning I work in Business.

However, at the ripe old age of 28, I'm neither "a senior" nor "crabby".....but having worked for AA previously, I know exactly the type Wilcharl is referring to. Thank God we don't have any.....yet.

Travis

Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:42 pm

1stClassFlyer:

1. Wilcharl works for FL(AirTran), so he gets the benefits(I envy him.)

2. The $25 upgrade is per segment. If you go MSP-ATL-FLL, that is two segments.

3. Considering how much B/C saves over F/C, make up for the hot meal by bringing some snacks of your own.

4. If you want to try bus. class, your best bet is on the DC9, with only 90 coach seats and 16 bus. The 717 has 105 and 12, and the 737-200 has 111 and 8.

5. I can confirm that the flight attendants are very cheerful, and some go out of their way to give you a more pleasant flight.

6. AirTran is better than Delta: FL serves the famous Biscoffs in Coach, while on DL you can only get them in First.(You can get Biscoffs in Bus. by asking a F/A)

PS: Travis, have you ever worked the 732 from PHL-ATL last fall? I remember a F/A with a high seniority when I flew that route.

wilcharl

Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:59 pm

Lowfareair,

you read my mind, comming to work this morning, i realized i forgot to put that it was per segment vs. per flight. thanks for picking that up

travatl

Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:13 am

Lowfareair -

I don't usually fly anything but the 717, and I don't think I was flying any 737 trips in the fall...it usually goes REALLY junior, but who knows...it may have been me. I'm 6'4"...does that sound like the guy?

Also Wilcharl.....I know for a while...they were offering a $40 upgrade for connections, is that still around?

Travis

Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:42 am

Travis: I guess it wasn't you then. The guy was about 5'10" or so, about my height.

The $40 multi-segment went out some time between Fall '99 and June, 2000, looking at a couple of old timetables. I wouldn't be surprised if it was when they introduced MSP-MDW, as people would have been making 3 segments if they were going somewhere like Florida. When they switched it to MSP-ATL, the load factors in bus. were higher so I guess they never changed it back.

GOT

Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:56 am

Airtran is not alone offering only coach and business. SAS does also have these services, also on intercontinental routes.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

wilcharl

Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:24 am

Travis,

I guess you wouldnt want to fly in coach on a 737 @ 6'4  Smile

TonyBurr

Fri Jun 08, 2001 5:30 am

Does anyone have the website for this airline?

travatl

Fri Jun 08, 2001 8:32 am

Wilcharl -

lol...ACTUALLY....if I'm working in the back, I'd rather fly the 732....the aft jumpseat area has a HELUVA lot more room than the DC9 or 717 (cubbyholes)....plenty of room to spread out back there. BUT....I've gotten spoiled on the 717....passengers love it, and NO MORE comments about old airplanes...plus...I prefer to work the P/A and work with the cockpit and ground crews...which only the lead (me) does.

Travis

travatl

Fri Jun 08, 2001 8:37 am

Tonyburr -

www.airtran.com

Travis

wilcharl

Fri Jun 08, 2001 10:41 am

Travis:

you defently have the room in the back of a 737, and you sure do get the roar of the engines too.... How often on the 717 do you get "the plane is leaking" or there is "smoke" comming from the freshair vents from the pax on those humid days? its funny watching them look up trying to figure out whats going on. what i love is on night flights when they dim the lights for departure and almost in unison half the pax ring their call button!!  Smile

charles

srbmod

Sat Jun 09, 2001 5:38 am

On AirTran, it's a better deal to try to upgrade to Business Class once you get to the airport. The price for Business Class when you book it is that it is several times more expensive than the coach fare for the same flight. Coach may be $79 each way, while Business may be $300 each way. The upgrade will save you money when you do it when you check in for the flight. The last time I non-revved on AirTran, the pax sitting right across from me had bought coach tickets, and then upgraded to business class when they checked in for the flight. They thought it was a great deal, and always tried to upgrade whenever possible. I was in business class on non-rev upgrades I got for perfect attendance at AirTran during the holidays, because normally I was happy sitting in coach in my exit row seat. Once I went business class, coach was never the same for me.

airplanetire

Sat Jun 09, 2001 11:24 am

Airtran does only have business and economy but their business is the same as any first class you'd expect on a domestic flight in the US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos