Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Whats The Deal With United?

Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:31 am

What is your opinion of United? They are not one of my favorites. I like NWA, SWA, AA, and United Express the most, as well as USAirways. I heard United is awful. I have flown them once for a trip, it was not bad, but should I fly them again? All I hear is bad things about United.

L1011

RE: Whats The Deal With United?

Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:36 am

United is not one of my favorite airlines, either. They are not bad, just not as good as NW, AA, or US. I will be flying UA in December to Singapore, but only because they had an unbelievably low fare. If it wasn't for that, I'd fly NW. I have flown to Singapore on both UA and NW, and I found the aircraft, service, and food to be better on NW. But that's just my opinion.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

SegmentKing

Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:26 am

well i'm a Premier Executive on UA and I think differently.

For all you airline lovers here, one reason you should choose UA over anyone else: Channel 9. Name 1 other US AIRLINE that offers it on every aircraft type (less 737-200).

Plus food is served inflight, so no running for the bistro coolers. Economy Plus gives you at least 4" of extra legroom, and most of the time you can ask for it when you check in at the airport and they'll give it to you.

UA changed movies twice a month on all flights.

Headsets are free.

Gave us the 767 and 777.

Largest US fleet of 747-400s (enjoy your 747-200 on NW across the Pacific!)

anyway... just my own opinion.. and I won't fly WN / southwest / for anything over 2 hours... I don't mind NW and won't fly Antichrist Airlines (AA).
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

ba319-131

Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:35 am

I've flown UA several time's on the North Atlantic route in the last 6 years and I think it has gone down hill.

Having also used BA/US/CO and AA,this is my top 5 in terms of service....

1.BA
2.US
3.CO
4.US
5.UA

I have flown UA more times than the others lately,but that was on price,however my last trip was with US Airways and they were much better than UA.

Just my opinion.

BA319-131
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

addi375

Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:36 am

Go fly with them for yourself and find out. If you have a bad flight you dont fly them again, if you have a good flight you do it again.
Any airline any day can offer really great service or really terrible service. It just depends on who is wrking the flight.

Its good to get the opinion of others, but nothing beats personal experience. Fly with them, if you like it.....go back....if not, next trip you know who to do and who not to call.

We know you have a choice in airtravel and we thank you for throwing a little business our way. Have a great day.
Walmart prices with Bloomies service...........

ba319-131

Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:37 am

Sorry,made an error.....

1.BA
2.US
3.CO
4.UA
5.AA

Forgot AA,they sucked last time.

BA319-131
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:42 am

I would reccomend them. Got stuck in TUS last Oct, stood in line for over an hour to get rebooked. The agent found me a connection on HP (TUS-PHX-STL) that got me home only an hour after my original itinerary. (Had a 2 1/2 hour scheduled layover in DEN).
Got the last seat out on HP. The guy in front of me was being a real *sshole to the agent. I told him to shut the
f*ck up, it wasn't her fault it was snowing in DEN. The line behind me applauded as they were sick of his nonsense after listening to it in line the whole time.
He shut up (I think he may still be stranded in TUS)!
UA gets my vote.

Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:21 am

I would take NWA over United and AA anyday, but thanks for the information. Yes, I do like the fact UAL gives out free headsets, and has audio on every plane except the 732. I have had many good flights on AA, but I dislike those crazy Bistro coolers. I prefer my food served inflight.

ILUV767

Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:56 am

I love United. Mainly because I have grown up in their family. United Airlines has many pros. They have the biggest route network, connecting one to every corner of the world (esp. with star).

In my opinion, United has one of the nicest fleets out there. From the little guppies(737) to the mighty bigfoot(777), and the queen of the skies, United has a very diverse fleet. The planes are always clean, and they all have economy plus with the exception of the 762s.

My big gripe with United, is Shuttle. It is poorly ran. While some of my best flights have been on Shuttle, when delays start up, Shuttle no longer is affective. My dad says that Shuttle is a cash cow for United; and while I tend to belive him, I look at the loads and see that flights are oversold by as much as 40 pax into some destinations. In my opinion, Shuttle is no longer affective. Limitations on shuttle (737) do not allow for more growth, as more passengers fly on it.

My other gripe with United, is upper managment. They spend money every which way, and are now putting all of the service products on hold. Inflight service cut backs makes for inconsistancies(sp?) all over the system. They need to give up the merger, and put the company back together.

Thanks for listening to my opinion.
I L U V 7 6 7

Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:12 am

ILUV767,
Thanks for your post. Some of the stuff on Untied.com is probaly fake. Because I flew 2 flights with United and 2 with Express. Both United flights were great, as was the AirWisconsin flight. But the UFS flight was not the greatest. UFS is a whole other company though. Overall I think United is an excellent airline. How were your experiences with AA, ILUV767? Just curious. I heard AA is also bad, but I have flown with them with no problems.

Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:18 am

United sucks! Fly Midwest Express instead!

ILUV767

Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:31 am

CoLite,

I've never flown on AA, so I really cant judge them. Purdue Arrow and I have this thing going on between us about the pros and cons of United and American. He grew up in the AA family, and I did in the United family. I make fun of him because of the stupid 80s and the little dutch oven (F100).

From my observations, AA doesnt seem to be that bad. While they have a similar route map to United, they have a great public relations department. AA comercials are all over the world. People are much more aware of American's product than United's...at least IMO.

I would love to try AA sometime. Maybe this summer.

I L U V 7 6 7

ILUV767

Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:02 am

CoLite,

I've never flown on AA, so I really cant judge them. Purdue Arrow and I have this thing going on between us about the pros and cons of United and American. He grew up in the AA family, and I did in the United family. I make fun of him because of the stupid 80s and the little dutch oven (F100).

From my observations, AA doesnt seem to be that bad. While they have a similar route map to United, they have a great public relations department. AA comercials are all over the world. People are much more aware of American's product than United's...at least IMO.

I would love to try AA sometime. Maybe this summer.

I L U V 7 6 7

ILUV767

Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:18 am

Whoops...sorry about that

I L U V 7 6 7

TonyBurr

Mon Jun 18, 2001 10:23 am

I am and have been a 1K flyer with UA for several years (over 100,000 miles a year). So I have had lots of experience on them - too much. I only fly them because I have to. Their service has decreased greatly. Their employee morale is horrible. They are stripping all amenitied. Once they have your money they basically do not care about you. Yes, even their highest flyers are treated terrible.

I have met some WONDERFUL UA employees and receibed excellent service. But overall I would have to say service is not part of their vocabulary. And writing Customer Service is like sending a letter to a dead letter mail box. IF you get a response it is a form letter which does not address your problem.

UA use to be wonderful! But since the employee buy out it has gone way down.

ana767

Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:23 am

I travel a great deal for business, and I always request United over any other airline. Why?

-With the exception of the 737-200's, all aircraft have audio programming.

-They serve meals/snacks much more frequently than other airlines (I've done a lot of research by sifting through a lot of timetables, and it's clear United is much more generous than American, Delta, Continental, and especially Northwest in giving food.)

-I've also never had a United flight cancelled or delayed more than a few minutes. The last two times I flew Delta I had a flight delayed for an hour due to mechanical problems and one cancelled. And the past two times I flew Northwest, one flight was cancelled and another was delayed for an hour and a half because the mechanic didn't fill out the paperwork correctly.)

-United is part of the Star Alliance

-I like United's fleet. It seems to be a little newer than Delta's and much newer than Northwest's. I also like the fleet variety -727, 737, 747, 757, 767, and 777 as well as 319 and 320. I usually don't like to take AA because it seems 90% of their flight out of ORD are on MD-80's. Not that I have anything against the Super 80. I'd just like some variety.

That's just my 2 cents. Keep in mind, by comparing other airlines to United, I'm not bashing them. I'm just using examples to explain why I prefer United.

Mon Jun 18, 2001 12:00 pm

It sounds like United is a mixed story then. Yes, I agree, Midwest Express is excellent. And their SkyWay partner too. Seems like United is not the greatest.

TonyBurr

Mon Jun 18, 2001 12:11 pm

ANA767 you are LUCKY about UA and delayed and canceled flights. I travel a lot on UA and can not remember the last time I took it long distance that there was NOT a problem. I came back from LHR on it this month (or was suppose to) but it was delayed 11 hours. I was on it last week and it was delayed PHL-LHR causing me to miss connections.

I envy you your experienc with UA. It is not mine!

Sun Jul 01, 2001 12:55 am

i travel united 3 or 4 times a month, not a year like some on here, and my experience with them is overall excellent. The two reasons I absolutely favor them, though, overall are simple

- No MD80s. I hate flying on MD80s. And the comment about AA above is true - it seems EVERY AA flight is on an MD80. Drives me nuts. This is literally exactly why AA is NEVER a choice.

- Cockpit radio. I can't believe more people on this thread haven't cited this; I absolutely LOVE being able to listen to ATC aloft. I wonder if UA's marketing department realizes there are people like me who spent $40-70 thousand dollars a year on air travel who choose UA simply because of cockpit radio?! Because that's the real reason. It's just so sweet to hear a command radioed to your flight and immediately feel the turn being made or whatever, or the order to descend at maximum rate and hear the speed brakes flip up, it really changes air travel for me...Its actually the reason I was able to get over fear of flying.

Anyway, no MD80s, ATC on the radio, no charge for headphones, I'm sold. Like the sweet A320 I flew from ORD to DCA in F Class thursday night, what a perfect way to cap off a day (and how much moreso than a cattle ride on WN!)

zartan (eric)

blink182

Sun Jul 01, 2001 1:41 am

I flew them once, and never again. In my opinion, AA is a lot better and I am fortunate to live in an AA hub city, so it is also more convenient for me. I also think AA offers a far better product than any of the other airlines I have been on. Plus, I don't know what the hype is with AA being so bad. I have not had one bad experience with them that was their fault and was unnecessary. One was weather related and two were engine related(one time we lost our slot over the atlantic and we waited for an hour at the gate because of engine repair). They were all for safety reasons, and if it is safety reasons, I really don't mind and I commend AA.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

RE: ILUV767

Sun Jul 01, 2001 2:08 am

David,

The Mighty Bigfoot and Queen of the skies both belong to the 747-400 in United's fleet.

Also,

United has one of the nicest fleets out there. From the little guppies(737) to the mighty bigfoot(777), and the queen of the skies, United has a very diverse fleet. The planes are always clean, and they all have economy plus with the exception of the 762s.

Just can't manage to get the "747" out?

Whistler

Sun Jul 01, 2001 8:50 am

I think by "and the queen of the skies" he meant the 747. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.

Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:00 am

Whistler,

I wasn't being that serious over the subject. Because ILUV767 considers the 744 an oddball in UA's fleet, I like to mess with him occaisionally.

ILUV767,

In case ya can't tell, I'm just messin with ya.  Smile

AA737-823

Why I Chose United

Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:33 am

Well, I grew up in an AA family. Dad was a res agent for a few years. We non-revved all over the USA. It was great.

But that was a few years ago when I was a kid. Now I am in college, and the airline I choose is more important.

I have to go by price a lot. United is frequently lower than AA for the flights I take.

I should mention that Blink182 and I both live in the same city- Dallas. Well, suburbs anyhow.

But that is why I grew up American.

So I took an American flight (after Legend went bust, and NO, I will never stop whining about their absence) from Dallas to Washington DC Dulles. It was fine. We were delayed about an hour on the returen flight, due to the de-icing process taking in excess of 45 minutes. But I am really not sure if I can blame AA personnell for that. But overall, the flight was fine. I have grown up with AA, and it was exactly what I expected- just like all the other flights I have taken with them.

By the way, dad hasn't worked for AA for several years now, so that doesn't bias my opinion here.

I took that AA flight in December. Well, in March, I needed to go to Washington DC again. I was looking at fares, and started thinking of who had nonstop service from DFW to Washington. Well, nobody. Just AA. And Delta, and their fare was not acceptable. So then I thought, "You know, I always see a lot of United birds up at Dulles, I wonder if that is a hub for them..." Well, sure it is, it's their gateway to the Atlantic. So guess what their fare was? $241. Beat that, AA.

In May, United was less than two hundred bucks.

I need to go now, I have to shorten this reply.

But their service was better. The food was... something worth eating. AA's isn't bad, but not as good.

I haven't been delayed. Sure, it will eventually happen.

The flight attendants have been phenomenally friendly on UA, more so than AA.

The pilot talks more.

I made the switch. Even after growing up AA.

Randy

Tan Flyr

Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:33 am

Let me take this in a slightly different direction...First,on any given day you can have either a great flight, a so-so one,or a bad one on ANY airline depending on a lot of factors (crew,weather, gate agents, equipment, etc.
One could/should judge a carrier by the overall experience and the consistentcy of the experience from day to day, flight to flight.If we judged a carrier by only the one "bad" flight we had on it, there would be no carriers left to fly on!

United has some serious leadership/labor/direction problems in my opinion. These are all solvable, it just needs the correct plan of action.

Through the 70's and part of the 80's they were the leader, hands down. Then came along Allegis Corp, the botched buyout in 1987, and a number of years of labor unrest(at best). (Pat Patterson has turned over in his grave by now)

Yes UA has a modern fleet, so does AA and for the most part TW, CO, Alaska.

One thing really mystifies me with dome of you fellow members on here, and that is the focus on IFE systems on this or that airline. Yes, I enjoy them if available, but that is not the defining criteria I use to select a flight. I enjoy the time to catch up reading some good books. However, it is your choice..it is a free country!

Anyway, my aim was to point this toward improving UA and suggestions to that end. We all know they have great planes, a highly skilled workforce, global routes, etc. TLets hope that they can find the leadership to truly rise again to the stature they once were. This would help to improve all carriers, AA, NW, CO, DL and the rest. Raise the expectations for the consumer at all airlines.

Whistler

Sun Jul 01, 2001 9:43 am

Sorry 747-400, I thought u were flaming him  Smile

doug_or

Sun Jul 01, 2001 1:32 pm

domestic at least, untied beats NW any day.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Sun Jul 01, 2001 2:20 pm

Well, I'm sure this has been said before but it all really depends on personal opinion. You also have to look at both sides, or all sides.

Being the mediator that I am, I will explain. Big grin
Them employees at UA have had it real rough lately, and management doesn't seem to care. So they're probably taking their problems out on the customer.

Why? Because it's easy and you'll never see that person again. Besides, as was said earlier, complaints to customer service are falling on deaf ears.

What would improve the situation, with United? A new direction. Instead of moving in a pattern of MORE CAPITA, MORE CAPITA, MORE CAPITA, why don't they try a different approach.

See, there's only so much you can do as far a buying up everything in site. You might have the most well-known name in the industry, but if your service SUCK, or for some reason you are not treating your real assetts, your customers, like they are valueable to your corporation, well then in the end you're screwed, because people will get tired of you.

Sad thing is, if you buy up the competition then people have no choice. Here in the US, we have anti-trust laws to protect against that, but there's a whole load of BSing un the upper levels before anything is done, so thing like this happen, and go away when it gets out of hand.

What I'm refering to, and I do not mean offense to any UA employees, is that I see UA's managment thinking in a monopolistic sense. I think they'll go as far as they possible can before the gov't steps in ans says "no, no".

As I said I mean not to offend UA employees. They are the real victims here as they're sucked into the capitalism machine. Basically they're pawns used to make everything run, and nothing more.

That is NOT the way a business should operate. The wayit SHOULD be done, is- (Oh darn, I almost said this earlier, sorry I'm ramblin' Big grin )

The way it should be done is to rather than invest in other people's businesses, with the hopes of merging or aquiring their capita, invest in the employees themselves.

REALLY screen hard for those go-getter, nice to see you I wear a smile types. The friendly go-out-of-your-way types.

Why? Well if you put your money into them, and give them a GREAT working environment, give them pride in their company, and give them a reason to come to work every day besides paying the bills, they'll reward you by being pleasant, content, and that will extend into their work. Because they are happy with their job, and have tons of job security as well, they will therefore be more pleasant when addressed by a customer.

Simply because their day, month, or year is all the more better. And the customers see it. If there's warmth in the employee, the customer sees that. And they also know what's fake but that's beside the point.  Laugh out loud

Anyway it is that warmth which brings the customer back and back again. You don't need to bribe customers with good food and leather seats. No, no, no. It's all in the service. Good management + Excellent employee relations = Good work environment = Happier employees = Better customer service = Better impression on the customer = Return customers = Success.

That's the equation. It's all that simple. And we can't take airline service on face value. Because you might have had a bad day at AA doesn't mean that AA sucks, it means that somewhere in the system a vital part is missing, at least for the person that served you. And you can only blame that on managment.

That said-

Hehehe...I LOVE MD-80s. Used to want to fly one. And they look especially good in AA's colors. WOW.

Best U.S. Airline as far as employee relations = Southwest.  Big thumbs up

I won't really judge UA, AA, US, AW, etc...until I've flown them. Hehehe... I haven't.

Of course those are only my opinions, take them as you will.

Aloha!!

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos