Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planenutz
Topic Author

Peru Domestic Flights

Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:01 am

I'll be in Peru 8/27 for a week and am wondering which domestic carrier is best. I'll be flying LIM-CUZ return and have four choices: Lan Peru, TACA Peru, Aero Continente, and TANSA. TANSA (owned by the Peruvian Air Force), is cheapest, but doesn't sell tickets outside of Peru and uses F28's on the route. Lan Peru, TACA Peru, and Aero Continente use 737-200s.

Which is safest and has the best overall services?
Not all who wander are lost....

LH526

RE: Peru Domestic Flights

Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:12 am

Please contact me via email and I will tell you more.

[email protected]

Mario  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

TonyBurr

Tue Jul 10, 2001 1:45 am

I travel to Peru often, but generally fly north to Trujillo not CUZ. I generally take Aero Continente. I have flown all of them except TANSA. Actually service and on time performance has become much better. I think any would be fine. I thin to CUZ they only fly in the morning due to altitude.

LatinPlane

Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:16 am

Hi Planenutz,

All the Peruvian airlines charge the same fare on the same routes so its just a matter of who you want to take. AeroContinente is not your best choice for although its the largest airline in Peru, with the largest amount of destinations, the airline has been known for doing strange things like not properly maintaining their aircraft. When I was there I was also told that the owner of this airline was a drug lord. Aviandina, which operates a 727-100 and 737-200 is a subsidiary of AeroContinente.

I'd personally would want to try Taca Peru or Lan Peru, however, for a trip on one of those 727-100 I would likely reconsider either AeroContinente or Aviandina...

TANS Peru operates one 737-200 and one F28 plus a twin otter on domestic routes. The Cusco flights only land from early morning and the last one leaves the city around 12:45. After that the airport is closed except for the Helicusco helicopter flights to Macchu Picchu.

AeroPeru has been wanting to restart their operations, but due to some litigation with the government it hasn't been able to do so. Hope they can restart their services. http://www.aeroperu.com.pe

Best regards,
A. Diaz
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

scutfarcus

Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:31 am

LanPeru and TACA are definitely the most 'modern' in Peru, in terms of professionalism, newer looking planes, etc... I've flown on TANS and somebody called StarUp.

Both of these were incredibly beat-up aircraft - TANS, a 737-200, ex Egypt Air, as everything was written in arabic, with spanish language stickers covering the arabic, and still had heiroglyphs on the upholstry, pretty hilarious. Also they bumped me once and refused to refund me, which is how I ended up flying StarUp's ancient Antonov-24 over the Andes, scary as hell at first, but ultimately a pretty cool ride, although that plane looked, and felt, like it had been through a war!

dutchjet

Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:26 am

I would go with LanPeru, I used them and they were OK, none of the available airlines offer the latest in comfort features and all operate older model airplanes, but Lan Peru seemed to be the best choice.

Note, when flying to Cuzco, check in early as overbooking is common, also check schedules as flights are frequenlty cancelled, especially after the early morning hours, due to weather.

chepos

Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:35 am

Taca Peru also has a modern fleet and very good service.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

aussie_

Tue Jul 10, 2001 9:31 am

I flew LanPeru in January and were most impressed by their professionalism, friendliness and service which struck me as excellent for a flight that barely lasts an hour (also to Cuzco).

The outward flight also happened to be their first after their restart of operations so I also have a LanPeru T-shirt and pen to show for the occasion!!!

If you've never flown into Cuzco before, make sure you get a window seat. The landing is VERY impresssive as the plane does a sharp turn over the city to swing into the deep valley where Cuzco and of course the airport is.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos