Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Best Star Alliance Carrier

Fri Jul 13, 2001 2:25 pm

I was wondering, what would be the best star alliance carrier on a flight to INdia? Since either trans-pacific or trans-atlantic will about the same, it can be really any airline. So far, I like Singapore and Thai. But if Air Canada does introduce Vancouver to Mumbai direct, that would be good, too. Since this would be coach, I would like to be as comfortable as possible on these really long hauls.

Another question, if i have miles on United, can I book a ticket on it's partners (star Alliance) using the miles? Also, I don't believe you get miles on a flight where you used miles in the first place, but would I also acuire United miles?

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Best Star Alliance Carrier

Fri Jul 13, 2001 3:51 pm

Singapore Airlines - A Great Way To Fly - A Star Alliance Member
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ptica2000

Fri Jul 13, 2001 4:49 pm

Lufthansa! It has the best international network.

TR

Fri Jul 13, 2001 4:49 pm

I would depend on when you would like to go. If you go through Europe way would be Air Canada to either Frankfurt or Copenhagen and then to India with Lufthansa or SAS respectively or you could go with Lufthansa all the way?!?. SAS will introduce the new A340 with comfy seats and PTVs in coach to India within the next month. However SAS only fly to Delhi while Lufthansa serves both Delhi and Mumbai. So....

If you go the pacific way I´d go for Singapore Airlines all the way.

And yes, you should be able to use frequent flyer miles on all airlines in Star Alliance.

Cheers
Thomas

aussie_

Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:12 pm

Ansett International is SUPERB but I'm sorry to say that it won't help you much getting from the US to India.

Pity, but if you ever come downunder, remember these words!!

pcancelli

Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:27 pm

Singapore Airlines best carrier in the world, not only best star alliance member

johnnybgoode

Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:17 pm

going via europe the best indian coverage is provided by LH, which serves DEL daily, BOM 5 times a week, MAA 3 times and on 1st september inaugurates service to BLR, also 3 times week.#
however, on such a long flight i wouldn´t necessarily recommend LH´s economy class. you could be lucky, but sometimes LH´s economy is so cramped and pitch isn´t that good, and i totally dislike the economy´s interior, but that´s just my oppinion.
except for that, i´d certainly recommend LH and if you do so, ask for a visit to the cockpit, i´ve never been denied and sometimes i was allowed to pay very long visits to the cockpit...

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

TonyBurr

Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:36 pm

The best is Singapore Airlines. Interesting, United flies to Indai (not sure where) but no one suggested them!

You can use your miles to get a free tickets on any of the Star Alliance. Only Lufthansa allows you to use your mileage to upgrade to another class.

If you use your mileage to obtain a free ticket you will not get any miles from the trip from any airline.

zauberfloete

Maybe Via Vienna?

Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:58 pm

You could also consider austrian via vienna.

You could go from Toronto to vienna on board of Austrians A330-200 - a nice plane with personal video in economy and all (OS528), and then from vienna to Delhi with Austrians A340-200 - also a nice bird (OS541).
I don´t know if that makes sense for you, just another Star All. conection.....
...There are plenty of possibilities....

Sat Jul 14, 2001 2:18 am

with United Airlines UA2 LAX - IAD - LHR - DEL or
Johnnybgoode said it :from Europe to India with LH .
With LH6370 SQ aircraft from JFK to FRA

Sat Jul 14, 2001 1:51 pm

fly on LH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos