kevin
Topic Author

Sri Lankan Airbus Destroyed

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:23 am

Just read on the news that Tamil rebels have destroyed a number of military and civil aircraft in the Colombo airport.Any more info on this?

kevin
Topic Author

RE: Sri Lankan Airbus Destroyed

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:27 am

Here you go:

Hundreds of airline passengers are stranded at Sri Lanka's only international airport as a "major" rebel attack on a nearby air force base rages on.

At least one family of tourists in the departure lounge saw explosions on the tarmac and fled to a nearby temple during the attack.

The military is trying to drive Tamil separatists off the air force base about 30 kilometers north of the capital, Colombo.

Rebels, fighting a drawn-out campaign for an independent homeland in the island's northern Jaffna peninsula, were reportedly firing mortar shells in the area and setting afire planes.

The attack began at about 3:30 a.m. local time, officials told CNN's Iqbal Athas.

No injuries had been reported after about a half hour of heavy fighting.

But the air force reported 10 aircraft had been destroyed, including two Israeli-made Kafir jets and some MI24 helicopter gunships.

Witnesses reported seeing large, fiery explosions.

The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels have been fighting since 1983, claiming discrimination at the hands of the majority Sinhalese.

About 64,000 people have died.

The rebels mounted five attacks in Colombo last year, killing 71 people.

All the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers supported by other rebels who carried weapons.

There has been no conventional military-type attack on the capital. "

Just don't tell me they destroyed these beautiful Sri Lankan A340s  Sad

chepos

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:36 am

Did they or did they not destroy a Sri Lankan Airbus? Hopefully they didn't and hopefully all the fighting will stop. Peace in Sri Lanka and all over the world.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

senliture

Tue Jul 24, 2001 12:26 pm

news in Hong Kong said that 3 Airbus of Srilankan had been destroyed

Sad

Senliture

docpepz

Tue Jul 24, 2001 2:44 pm

Update No.3 - at 8.00am

Further to our update issued at 0700 hrs on 24 July, reliable airport sources indicate that the two SriLankan Airlines Airbus aircraft, an A340 and an A330 have been destroyed as a result of terrorist activity while parked on the tarmac. Further damage was also inflicted on two Airbus A320 that were also parked on the tarmac. The precise extent of the damage to these two A320 aircraft are not known at present. It is also learnt that another Airbus A330 of SriLankan Airlines suffered some damage to the undercarriage whilst parked on the tarmac. SriLankan Airlines confirms that none of its passengers or staff have been injured as a result of this terrorist activity. Passengers on SriLankan Airlines' flights bound for Colombo are being held at the diversion airports mentioned earlier, until the situation at BIA is clarified. At present, the airport remains closed. A further statement will be issued once the airline has more details.

Media Relations department
SriLankan Airlines

I think this is really sad, that nearly half their fleet is destryeded/damaged. Since Emirates took over their management, they have done pretty well with product upgrades such as PTVs for every passenger. I'm not sure that they'll actually recover afrom this.

kaitak

Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:09 pm

Reports are obviously very confused at the moment and with missiles flying around, it's not a priority to be counting damaged airplanes! The BBC has just reported 3 aircraft destroyed; one A330 seems to be confirmed and of course, in a situation like this, a damaged aircraft is as good as destroyed, because fire crews would not be able to get to it and the fire would take hold and spread.

If there is a further battle at the airport/airbase, with it now being surrounded by police and troops, the consequences for Airlanka would be very serious indeed. It was already experiencing financial difficulties because of its expansion plan and its insurance bill will go through the roof. It is indeed a very tragic for an airline which had been going to such efforts to rebuild and develop itself.

jaysit

Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:21 pm

How unfortunate. The best airline in the subcontinent being summarily wiped out like this !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

kevin
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:22 pm

Toooooo bad. I guess this year will be a tragedy for Sri Lankan.3 wide body aircarft lost, no more tourists...
Unfortunately aircraft seem to be the favourite target of terrorists. Now we should expect Emirates either quit its partnership with Sri Lankan or inject millions of dollars for its recovery. Good luck Sri Lankan.

CX Flyboy

Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:23 pm

Very sad indeed. A read reports that said a hangar was hit which contained 3 aircraft but reports seemed to indicate that this was a military hangar and not a civilian one, although I have also heard that this contained 3 Airbuses.

Very sad anyway. A complete waste of aircraft, especially nice new ones.

G-KIRAN

Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:47 pm

Sounds like Pebble beach to me.

senliture

Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:11 pm

CNN has a photo showing an Sri Lankan Airbus is burning at the tarmac

Senliture

CX Flyboy

Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:20 pm

What, the golf course?

Whistler

Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:23 pm

What about casualties? Everyone is saying how sad it is that an A330 blew up but nobody seems to care about the people that are there  Sad.

dragon-wings

Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:33 pm

Why don't they move the planes to a safe airport? like to another country or something
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

zizou

Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:57 pm

I am sure the planes deystroyed/damaged would have been insured, so I assume they will have to wait a while and get replacement aircraft from Airbus and others (I hope!).

9A-CRO
Editor

Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:05 pm

thats too bad, I remember that albanian terrorist have recently threatened to do the same thing to Skopje airport, fortunately they didn't
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

aussie_

Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:16 pm

The reputation of the airline must be also totally shattered.

What an awful thing to happen. I would imagine it must be like losing two children to some of the airline employees.

Thankfully, seemingly no one was killed and it is true that we must remember that human life is more important than an airbus jet.

docpepz

Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:25 pm

I have Sri Lankan maid in my home in Singapore and she's like part of the family. She was almost in tears when she heard about it. One of her family members called our home to speak to her, but his story was greatly distorted. She went on about how 7 civillian planes were destroyed and hundreds were dead, when it was at most 5 civillian planes that were damaged/destroyed and 11 military personnel who were killed.

Nevertheless, it's an extremely tragic event.

On a purely commercial note, does Emirates have lots of oil money backing it up? Hopefully they'll help Sri Lankan rebuild. And I would think the aircraft are insured. And this should teach everyone round the world not to build a military airport next to a civillian one!

sabenapilot

Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:56 pm

I have o disappoint you, but aircraft are most of the times NOT insured! Sure, the damage inflicted to others in case of an accident is covered, but not the plane itself!
Why?
Can you imagine how much it would cost each year to insure a complete fleet? Suppose you have to pay about 5% of the total value of the plane to the insurance as payment. This might look quite reasonable, but it means that if you have 20 planes to insure you are paying them the equivalent of one plane a year!
That's why mayor airlines do not insure their planes at all. They simply take the risk. After all: how many planes do they loose over a longer period? OK, so Srilankan lost money by doing this this year. But they saved it last year and the year before that and the year before etc. etc. you see?

Klaus

RE: Insurance

Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:03 pm

Even if the planes were insured it would be unlikely that events of civil war would be covered.

CX Flyboy

Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:13 pm

Just heard on the radio that 3 SriLankan jets were destroyed and 2 others damaged. One Mig, 2 helicopters and 3 training aircraft of the military were destroyed.

Obviously because of the accuracy of initial reports, these are quite likely to be wrong, but just thought I'd let you know anyway!!

Udo

Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:28 pm

Those f...... rebels behave like those Iraqui troops who destroyed several Kuwait Airways planes in 1990. I hope that brutal attack on civilists and civil institutions and aircraft will be retaliated appropriately.
I guess that's the end of tourism and business in SriLanka for the next time and so the end of SriLankan Airlines. I hope the remaining A330s go to Emirates where they are save...

Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

VgnAtl747

Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:33 pm

Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

chepos

Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:41 pm

It will take time for Sri Lnakan to get back on its feet (If they recuperate from this). That photo of the burning airbus looks like the situation is extremely scary over there in Sri Lanka.
Chepos
Puerto Rico
Fly the Flag!!!!

Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:02 pm

Ahhhhh!  Sad I think that's really sad. I mean the A320s fine, but those lovely and cute and cuddly A330 / A340s  Sad  Sad  Sad

Stupid Tamil people. Kill the terrorists I say.

Poor Sri Lankan. I take it they have insurance?

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:01 pm

Tuesday July 24, 1:55 PM

SriLankan Air/Refleet -2: Preparing Insurance Claims
COLOMBO (Dow Jones)--SriLankan Airlines said Tuesday it's planning to refleet itself after five of its 12 aircraft were damaged in a predawn attack by Tamil Tiger rebels on the island's only international airport and an adjacent airforce base.
"It's too early to comment on the effects to our financial situation from the attack. We have to think of getting through our remaining fleet," Victor Abeyesekera, SriLankan's product development manager, told Dow Jones Newswires.

The rebels attacked with mortars, damaging at least 11 military and passenger aircraft. Explosions, automatic weapons fire and pistol shots were heard for more than four hours after the initial attack.

The airport has been shut down indefinitely while a curfew has been imposed in the area.

A SriLankan Air statement said an Airbus A340 and A330 aircraft that were parked on the tarmac had been destroyed.

"Further damage was also inflicted on two Airbus A320 aircraft that were also parked on the tarmac. The precise extent of damage to these two aircraft aren't known at present."

The statement said an Airbus A330 aircraft had suffered some damage to its undercarriage from the attack.

National Carrier SriLankan has been suffering losses due to high fuel prices and a volatile security situation in the island where separatist Tamil Tiger rebels are fighting for an independent homeland.

Dubai's Emirates Airlines owns 40% of SriLankan Airlines.

(MORE) Dow Jones Newswires 24-07-01

0555GMT

Preparing Insurance Claims

The Dubai-based airline has management control of SriLankan Air since it bought into the local carrier in 1998. The Sri Lankan government has a 51% stake with the remaining 9% being held by employees.

A SriLankan Air spokeswoman, Ruwini Jayasinghe, said the airline's schedules "will be in a mess" due to the damage to its aircraft and the airport closure.

No aircraft of any other international airline was damaged in the attack.

Jayasinghe said the airline will have to assess the final damages to the fleet before altering its schedules and dealing with insurance claims on the aircraft.

"Some of the aircraft were on finance leases while the others were on operating leases. All this needs to be assessed for insurance purposes," Jayasinghe said.

"But I think any losses should be covered in terms of the insurance," she said.

Six flights of Sri Lankan Air and several others flights due to arrive in Colombo on Tuesday have been diverted.

Other airlines that operate flights to the island nation include Cathay Pacific (H.CPA), Emirates, Thai Airways (H.TAI), Singapore Airlines (Singapore: SIAL.SI - news) (P.SAL) and Indian Airlines.

LGW

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:08 pm

Dont these idiots know how much it costs to buy and operated A330's/A340's!!!

They are idiots and I feel for UL cause they have done really well, good modern fleet and a new coperate image

LGW

OO-VEG

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:08 pm

Will SriLankan airlines drop some destinations temporarily?? If so which one?

Very sad to hear these aircraft were destroyed by and it is even worse to hear at least 12 people are death due such an useless attack.

Fly-K

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:17 pm

Latest reports: three aircraft destroyed, three damaged...

Destroyed:
4R-ALE and 4R-ALF (332)
4R-ADC or 4R-ADD (343)

Damaged:
one further 343 and both 320s.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

SQ325

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:22 pm

I just read 14people died 9rebels and 5soldiers.
A total of 16 planes suffered damage including 8 of Sri Lankan.
When does this silly civil war on Sri Lanka stop?
Hopefully there will be no more attacks.
Airport is open since 14:00 MEZ (Mid European Time).
My best to all waiting there to be brought home and the people of Sri Lanka.
Now the eyes of the world are looking to Sri Lanka, it might help to end this war.
regards SQ

cfalk

Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:41 pm

4R-ALE got destroyed? I have a couple of pics of that one (In poor weather, unfortunately).

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

I'm glad nobody was aboard at the time.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

G-KIRAN

Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:29 pm

The Tamil Tigers have a very good point actually.

For over 50 years the Tamil community have suffered discrimination from the majority Sinhala community.In 1956 President Bandranaike launched major nationalistic policies aiming to supress the Tamil language,its religion,culture and people.For those of you in Britain,think of the BNP.Thats who they are.In 1970 economic reforms deprived tamils of everything apart from the menial jobs despite them being better qualified.In 1983 there were severe race riots against the Tamils by the Sinhalas in which many tamils were killed.This is why the Tamil Tigers are attacking.

In the end the goverment and the Tigers are not helping anyone.Both are too engrossed in their own nationalistic view of supressing the other.What they really need is some peace deal like Clinton did with Arafat and Rabin.

SA365C1

Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:34 pm

Come on Guys,

Forget about these(khohauynhuk get a life!) cute n cuddly aeroplanes, as was expressed earlier better that there are no more fatalities, its times like these where it should be put into perspective what an aircraft really is and sentiment put to one side, ITS A PIECE OF METAL .

And of course they are insured, think about it do you really think they would have an AOC if they werent insured, no AOC = no PAX, and who on earth would keep an aircraft without insurance, REALITY CHECK TIME!

LGW sorry but what a stupid thing to say do these people know how much it costs to operate one of them, are you away with the fairies or something!!, of course they dont know and of course they dont care, cmon common sense prevails!

RANT OVER!

airsicknessbag

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:23 pm

A bad day for Airbus - first ever 330-200 write off, first ever 340-300 write off, number of write offs for 330s doubled, number of write offs for 340s doubled... on the other hand, these a/c will have to be replaced by new Airbusses...

Any information on whether the two 320s and the second 340 will be repaired?

Daniel Smile

a380

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:30 pm

trintocan

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:38 pm

A major tragedy on all fronts. The civil war in Sri Lanka has claimed thousands over the 15 years or so over which it has been fought. This is not the first loss of a plane either - an AirLanka TriStar was bombed in 1986 at Colombo with explosives carried in a market basket.

Today's events with 15 people dead is a hallmark of the ongoing tragedy in that small island nation. For us plane lovers, too, the TV pictures (I saw them on BBC) of the destroyed Sir Lankan A330s and 340s, empennage still fully visible, are heart-rending. After an attack like this both Sri Lankan and the nation would have a very difficult task of getting back on the ground.

For a moment I thought that the aircraft 4R-ADB, which I have pictures of, was destroyed but thankfully that is not the case. All in all though, a major tragedy.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:24 am

I think it's very sad. Even though I don't like Sri Lankan and don't follow them. I feel really sorry for them.  Sad  Sad  Sad It's very sad. I hope they get their planes back. Maybe SALE (SIA) can give them some planes for a while. Considering the situation it would be good spirit

Sad  Sad
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

apuneger

Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:26 am

Indeed a sad day for aviation.

A couple of hours ago, I was walking on the EBBR/BRU ramp (I' working for SN-student job) and passed by a A340 (bound for NRT) and 2 A330's (bound for YUL and BOS). It's almost unbelievable to know that such HUGE aircraft can be destroyed. If you stand next to one of these aircraft, you're amazed by the size of these aircraft. Nevertheless, they all seem to be pretty vulnerable to weapons, especially heavy weapons, used for war...

Look at it for yourself:

Too bad, isn't it? A340's and A330's are really great and huge, beautiful aircraft.

It's sad to know that some of them have been destroyed for the sole purpose of terrorism. The reason doesn't matter, violence only leads to new violence, and doesn't lead to solutions!

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

hkgspotter1

Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:15 am

This sucks, that plane served Gulf Air and Air Lanka well, I remember making 4R-ADD when I arrived back at CLK in January 00' I think it was. It was my first UL aircraft in the new scheme.

I would like someone to confirm that 4R-ALE and 4R-ALF have been destroyed. 4R-ALF is the only widebody that I need of UL.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:25 am

I've just seen BBC pictures. Truly horrific.

airsicknessbag

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:15 am

I don´t quite understand this:

UL had six 330s. Five of them should have been in the air, being inbound to CMB from RUH, FCO/MXP, SXF/DXB, AUH/MCT and MLE. Was one of those flights cancelled? Did the MLE flight arrive early?

It makes sense with the 320s, neither of them was scheduled to be away at the time, and the 340s: they had four, two were away (returning from SYD and LHR), one destroyed, one damaged.

So, apparently EVERY UL plane present at CMB was at least damaged - all the fleet except for the four 330s and two 340s that were on their respective return flights...

(Still no info concerning the extent of the damage to the 320s and the 340?)

Daniel Smile

hkgspotter1

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:22 am

The A340 is very, very, very damaged. Look at the pic !

Its the A330's I want info on.

airsicknessbag

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:36 am

No, that´s the destroyed one - there´s another one, "only" damaged. (RE Fly-K´s post)
The 330s are pretty clear - two completely destroyed, four in the air - nothing in between.

Daniel Smile

BA-747

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:39 am

in the scottish news two honeymooners from scotland were aboard a sri lankan aircraft when it was attacked all their belongings are estroyed and they said they wont feel safe until they are home

ScottB

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:44 am

Well, perhaps Boeing can sell them a few gently-used A340's...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:54 am

from Singapore Airlines!

Still a shame though  Sad

Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:11 am

didn't they want to sell the A320s?
could be a bit difficult now

RayChuang

Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:46 am

It'll be interesting to see how are they going to replace the planes.

My guess is that a number of ex-SQ A343-300's will be sold to AirLanka, and either GECAS or ILFC will try to send replacement A320/A330 planes from their lease fleet as soon as possible.

DIA

Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:57 am

Very sad, sad day. They were beautiful aircraft.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

Wed Jul 25, 2001 4:30 am

Here's another pic of 2 of the destroyed Airbuses.

http://de.news.yahoo.com/010724/3/1sjfz.html

I guess the one at the left side's an A340 and the other one 's an A330

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos