Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

william
Topic Author

RJ Market Saturation

Fri Jun 18, 1999 8:39 am

Lets see,Airbus is coming out with 100 seat jet,we have the B717,Embraer,Bombardier,Fairchild,and British Aerospace all gunning for the same market. All have or soon have 70 to 100 seat planes coming to the market. Too many planes,and not enough customers. Whoever is doing the market research for these companies need to fired. In a couple of years we are going to have RJ saturation,yeah its going to be great for us the enthusiast for a couple of years but soon after that the sifting will start to take place.

RE: RJ Market Saturation

Tue Jun 22, 1999 7:16 am

All i can say is, I think your totally wrong. As far as the airline business goes, the regionals are the fastest growing part of the whole industry. As smaller carriers begin to phase out props, and the majors continue to drop smaller markets, these airplanes are going to be very much needed. Just take a look..its happening....

william
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 1999 8:02 am

See the Dallas Mornging News of Sat 6-19-99.in the business section,there too many players in this field,when all the orders have been fullfilled and the slow down happens,how will the 4 or 5 players in the field survive. Let me help you out,some will not,there are too many players with more planning on jumping in,thats called RJ saturation.

flyaa757

Tue Jun 22, 1999 1:57 pm

While the regional jet market is growing exponentially, with such competition, saturation must occurr. In my oppinion, the A318 and BAe RJX will not be very successful. The A318s operating costs and weights for that matter are MUCH higher than that of the 717. Four new engines for an existing RJ just won't cut it. While the A318 has gained some quick orders, they are not truly for the RJ market. Instead, AFR, Egypt Air, and TWA 318s will all replace 737-200s/DC-9s. I believe that the 717 will start to catch on, and the real battle will be between the 717 and the EMB-190-200, which was just launched at Paris.

sv11

Tue Jun 22, 1999 2:16 pm

The 717 and A318 are pitched at the big airlines since the regionals are pretty much restricted to 70 seats (in U.S). There are only 2 totally new regional jets being developed- the EMB-170/90 and the Fairchild 728Jet. The Bombardier CRJ700 is pretty much a stretch-although the new engines have 50 % more thrust. I think the market must be big enough for 3 manufacturers, considering that Embraer just launched their new EMB170/90. With a 90/100 seat jet these two manufacturers might steal orders from the A318/717 too by pitching to the big airlines.

sv11.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos