KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Most underrated plane spotting locations in the world

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I thought this one might be fun, since everyone here is an AvGeek, and so I thought the most underrated locations would make for an interesting thread. I've found some of these gems to be the best and thought I'd compile a list descending in order of best. Feel free to add your most UNDERRATED locations, everyone already knows about Imperial Hill and Maho Beach, all contributions are appreciated!

10. Seatac food court- One of the best locations anywhere at a terminal airside to watch aircraft rotate while you enjoy a pizza, and all runways are in sight! Also if you're in the area, check out the Stratodeck at Paine Field as well, which is surprisingly close to the threshold, and offers superb views of Boeing aircraft landing and taking off that you may otherwise never see, including the Dreamlifter. Best of all, it's free!

9. Skyclub ATL/JFK both offer fantastic runway views in the open air, are perfect for watching planes taxi at the concourses up close and you can do so from the comfort of some nice seats and meet with other plane spotters up there, and enjoy the rest of the Skyclub when you're done!

8. The Rennisance at ATL and LHR. Both offer close up runway views at airports that will otherwise give you a hard time, and have few other good spots and you can do this from your hotel room as long as you like. Nuff said :)
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-she ... ort-hotel/
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/tra ... row-hotel/

7. Cypress Park and Bowling Alley at TPA. One of the few airports that has great vantage points at the end of each runway. You can enjoy the quiet beach and lie in the sand or you can bowl with your friends, and security won't bother you at either! The airport is also home to an onsite Marriot hotel with great runway views on either side!
https://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php/ ... al_Airport

6. Founders Plaza at DFW is one of the best locations out there, and is an official spot where you can catch every AA plane your heart desires as well as all International arrivals, including the very rare Qantas A380. DFW is also home to Skylink, which connects all terminals past security allowing you to visit terminal D with all the Int'l heavies and see many AA jets from above! On top of all of this, the airport also has a Grand Hyatt, right on top of terminal D, with runway views!

5. MIA Holes is a premier location for getting up close to the threshold, and MIA is home to the second largest amount of Int'l traffic anywhere in the US. There are holes in the fence for your camera, and you can get unobstructed views of all aircraft landing or taking off. Traffic is diverse and you can view a wide variety of airlines from around the world, and get closer to an A380 than anywhere else except #1!
http://www.spotterguide.net/index.php/p ... -mia-kmia/

4. The Polderbaan at AMS has the distinction of being the only (major) airport in the world with no fence! This alone is literally enough to place it on this list! There is also a viewing terrace with a Fokker at the main terminal! AMS is perhaps one of the friendliest Euro airports to spotters!
http://www.spotterguide.net/index.php/p ... ms-eham-2/

3. Gravelly Point at DCA is the best spot on this list if you are looking for some ridiculously close up action domestically. It's so close you can literally touch the landing lights (I would definitely not recommend doing this) and watch all jets land or takeoff right over head! Anybody who's been here will understand why it's on this list! Also, if you're in the area, check out the viewing tower at the Udvar Hazy museum near Dulles with amazing views of aircraft IF landings are on 1R. The museum itself is the best in the world, no question, with a Space Shuttle, Concorde, and SR-71 under one roof!
http://www.spotterguide.net/index.php/p ... -dca-kdca/
https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

2. The Manchester Viewing Park is a very, very close tie with #1 and to be honest this one will be the top spot for most people. You can get very close to all manner of aircraft including the 787, 777, and A380. This is the #1 spot if you're in Europe, and there's even a Concorde!
http://book.manchesterairport.co.uk/man ... isitorpark

1. As mentioned, this is a very close tie with #1. I gave the petrol station at YYZ the slight edge, because this list was about the most UNDERRATED spots and most people will not expect much from a humble gas station. This spot truly surprised me and I found it to live up to the hype. 777s and the A380 can be photographed astonishingly low here, much like Gravelly Point, and the variety of planes is second to none!
*The proximity of this spot to the threshold can truly be gauged in this video from the cockpit
https://youtu.be/aBJAxUkfZq4

Bonus: Worst- DXB plane spotters are not welcome here, they have actually been JAILED, there's no good location except for the desert, and inside the terminal just has horrid windows! Hopefully, DWC fixes this! DTW is the other airport that comes to mind, with dots in the windows (WHY?) but the airport is otherwise the best in the US, and the Westin even has some great views of the tarmac. Also, LHR is now DOUBLE fenced!

Feel free to add your most underrated spots!

TC957

Re: Most underrated plane spotting locations in the world

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:22 am

Airports in Japan & Germany all have fab viewing decks or public areas for plane watching. The Fly Inn shopping mall at IST is also great.

Carpethead

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 am

Not exactly the busiest airport in the world but for runway ends go, Osaka Itami (ITM) at Runway 32L.

drerx7

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:28 am

IAH Rankin road spot allows you great views of 15/33s ops. Lee Rd. Is at the threshold of 27. For the 26s you havery to find parking down by the cargo area.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

luftaom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for the list.

I personally love the spotting decks on top of both the ANA and JAL terminals at Haneda. The spotting decks at Narita are good - but nowhere near as good as the decks at Haneda.

As for underrated - I also like Dusseldorf's spotting deck and for even more underrated the open-air balcony attached to the Marco 'Polo VIP Lounge' at Venice airport (which admittedly means that you have to have the appropriate status card to get in).
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

airbazar

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:52 am

If heavy lifters are your thing, Anchorage (ANC) is fantastic. There are great spotting locations all around the airport and as a bonus there's Lake Hood right next to it, the World's busiest seaplane base.

michaelg90222

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:58 am

When 07L is in use for landing at LHR, I enjoy taking a seat on the grass in the wetland area near Colnbrook, in between the M25 and the airport perimeter road (coordinates -0.500585, 51.477403). It is much more pleasant than standing on the side of the busy dual carriageway or on the bridge close-by like some people seem to do, and no one seems to know it exists as 90% of the time, I'm the only one there!

Also, the grassy area is on a hill and directly under the final approach so you are very close to the arriving aircraft - especially the heavies. And also if you find the right position to look over the trees, you can watch the aircraft all the way onto the runway.

You can park close by (coordinates -0.492318, 51.479391) for cheaper than at Hatton Cross/Myrtle Av and is free at the weekends :D There is also a bus stop at the entrance to the wetland area, although I have never caught one so not sure what route serves it.

luftaom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Nice tips. If it's a half decent day, the Green Man pub (near the junction of Green Man Lane and Faggs Rd) is great for 27L arrivals from the outdoor beer garden. It's only a 6 or 7 minute walk from Hatton Cross tube station.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

RRTrent

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:17 pm

You can get very close at DUB. There is an "official" viewing area at the side of the threshold of 28, and another "unofficial" viewing area about half way down 10/28 on a small service road leading to the tower.

And although not used often, you can also get very close to the end of 16. Trust me, there is nothing better than watching a heavy crab onto a shortass runway like 16 on a gusty day.

petera380

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm

There is also Maho Beach in St. Maarten! Top floor of the Sonesta Hotel (ocean view) and they pass at eye level.

oly720man

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:45 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:

2. The Manchester Viewing Park is a very, very close tie with #1 and to be honest this one will be the top spot for most people. You can get very close to all manner of aircraft including the 787, 777, and A380. This is the #1 spot if you're in Europe, and there's even a Concorde!

Not forgetting the Southside perimeter path alongside 23L/ 05R and other paths giving views along the runways for 23L/R departures.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

PEK777

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Sha Tin Racecourse in Hong Kong. Can watch all the heavies come in overhead while losing money on the horses.

FSDan

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:41 pm

The observation deck at MSP (concourse D) is a nice spot to pass a layover. Great views of the concourse C, D, and E tarmac, and good runway views. The only detractor is that it is inside.

Also, the observation deck at AMS is definitely awesome! I don't think there is anywhere in the U.S. where you can get to an official observation deck like that without going through security.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

GSPSPOT

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Do FRA and ZRH still have their open-air observation decks?
Great Lakes, great life.

JAAlbert

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Here in SAN we have Marston Point at the far southwest end of Balboa park. It is about a mile from the end of the runway and you can't even see the airport from the sight, but the hilly topography of the city results in the planes flying very low overhead as they skim the tops of the hills on the glide path to the runway. Watching the BA 747 rumble past just over the tree tops is a treat. Sometimes the wash from the engines whips the wind about causing a whistling, snapping sound that thrashes the tree tops.

xandaman

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Not the best for heavy movements but you can get right underneath things at BHX at the end of 15 in Sheldon Country Park especially on a windy day. BHX is known for its crosswinds and on a good windy day it can make for some interesting catches.

marktci

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:28 pm

McArthur Glen Mall in Richmond, BC. Outlet shopping and planespotting at the end of YVR's runway 26R.

Kaphias

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Hard to beat this for close action... granted it's only 737s, but the next runway over is made of water, and the Beavers flying out of there get just as close, plus you get sprayed as they fly over. :mrgreen: And oh yeah, the scenery is stunning.

(Juneau, AK | iPhone 6 | 30mm FF eqv)

BN727227Ultra

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:03 pm

I was hoping you'd mention the Hartsfield Renaissance. Was interesting to note that at 11PM the pax takeoffs stopped then the cargo flights began. Kids loved it, it made their vacation!

toneale

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:16 pm

The Overlook at CLT is a great place for spotting. Too bad CLT doesn't get much in the way of widebodies. You do get a 767, A340, and MD-11 every once in a while, but for the most part it's A321 after A321.

sspontak

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:19 pm

When I am in the city of San Diego, the planes do come in very low which makes for great plane spotting, especially when a widebody comes in.

LABA

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Close to LAX on Sepulveda Blvd, there's a In-n-Out location that is fantastic for spotting the birds on their final for 24R

SMO has a park and a viewing gallery that provides for very nice views of the private jets and the occasional bi-planes/WWII era birds.

PDK has something similar as well - and it's a lot busier!

mcg

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:48 pm

FSDan wrote:
The observation deck at MSP (concourse D) is a nice spot to pass a layover. Great views of the concourse C, D, and E tarmac, and good runway views. The only detractor is that it is inside.

Also, the observation deck at AMS is definitely awesome! I don't think there is anywhere in the U.S. where you can get to an official observation deck like that without going through security.

The gas station at MSP (over by the freeway) is very good. In-N-Out at LAX is excellent. The observation deck at ZRH is very nice, but not near the runway.

Crackshot

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:21 pm

The Acacia St loop at BNE. Great for RWY 19 arrivals and departures and RWY 01 departures (and 01 heavy arrivals if they roll long enough). As well as heavies taxiing past to the holding point (always a thrill to see the EK A380 or QF 747 roll past, not to mention the variety of Asian carriers, and of course, recent arrival Air Canada!)

holeham

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:41 am

Another spot that features quite a bit of GA and some commercial spotting is just off the end of PIE's runway 36R. There's a vacant field that you can park in and watch all of the Allegiant flights come and go. What makes this a great spot is that it is also a busy airport for the USCG, so there are plenty of HC-130 touch and goes as well as plenty of MH-60 Jayhawks tooling around.

aeroblogger

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:50 am

I'd say that Flight Path Park at YVR is one of my favorite places to spot. It has cute mini-runways which light up at night. A must-visit for any avgeek.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

ER757

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:54 am

PDX has a nice viewing area along Marine View Drive (or is it just Marine Drive) on the north side of the field. Was better when DL had lots of wide bodies to Asia but it's still good.

When I lived near ORD I always found the parking lot at the Rosemont Horizon to be a great place for watching the heavies from Europe arriving in the afternoon. I have photo albums full of 747's, DC-10's and L-1011's taken from that spot. It's been years since I've been back there, not even sure it's there anymore

DL747400

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:48 am

Regarding #6 - Founders Plaza at DFW:

Sorry, but I disagree. It is a total disappointment and not worth the time and gas to get there. The old Founder's Plaza was much better but was deemed to be a terrorism risk. The new location is too far removed from the real action. There are almost no "up close and personal" views except for AA metal taxiing to/from hangar, or UPS metal taxiing to/from their ramp area. Don't waste your time.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

dr1980

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:01 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
3. Gravelly Point at DCA is the best spot on this list if you are looking for some ridiculously close up action domestically.

I had the chance to visit there once and was pleasantly surprised that it was very spotter-friendly, I had no issues at all from anyone and the views of landing aircraft (especially watching them turn to final) are amazing.

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Also, if you're in the area, check out the viewing tower at the Udvar Hazy museum near Dulles with amazing views of aircraft IF landings are on 1R.

Definitely worth it, a very interesting view of landing aircraft from up high in the observation tower.

KTPAFlyer wrote:
1. As mentioned, this is a very close tie with #1. I gave the petrol station at YYZ the slight edge, because this list was about the most UNDERRATED spots and most people will not expect much from a humble gas station. This spot truly surprised me and I found it to live up to the hype. 777s and the A380 can be photographed astonishingly low here, much like Gravelly Point, and the variety of planes is second to none!

The last time I was in Toronto, I was filling up my rental car at that gas station, taking my sweet time hoping for something big to fly over. I was rewarded by a 777...you could hear that thing coming waaaaay before it went roaring over top of the gas station. Even impressed my non plane-spotter wife! If you want the side view of landing aircraft, there is a Wendy's next door to the gas station...if you're on the left side of the plane on approach to RWY23 you can read the specials off the Wendy's sign!
Dave/CYHZ

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 am

holeham wrote:
Another spot that features quite a bit of GA and some commercial spotting is just off the end of PIE's runway 36R. There's a vacant field that you can park in and watch all of the Allegiant flights come and go. What makes this a great spot is that it is also a busy airport for the USCG, so there are plenty of HC-130 touch and goes as well as plenty of MH-60 Jayhawks tooling around.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I've never heard of this before, I'll see if I can head down and catch some C-130's.

aeroblogger wrote:
I'd say that Flight Path Park at YVR is one of my favorite places to spot. It has cute mini-runways which light up at night. A must-visit for any avgeek.

I knew there was some park like this at YVR, but I could ever figure out where it was, thank you!

DL747400 wrote:
Regarding #6 - Founders Plaza at DFW:

Sorry, but I disagree. It is a total disappointment and not worth the time and gas to get there. The old Founder's Plaza was much better but was deemed to be a terrorism risk. The new location is too far removed from the real action. There are almost no "up close and personal" views except for AA metal taxiing to/from hangar, or UPS metal taxiing to/from their ramp area. Don't waste your time.

Well, at least they have the Skylink!

hoons90

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:28 am

When 33L is used for landings at YYZ (which I don't find all that common sadly), there's an awesome hill right by Courtneypark Drive that lets you take pictures like this without a ladder:

The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

bennett123

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:42 am

MLA has a small viewing area landside.

There is a lift up too it between the arrival and departure areas.

Then there is the viewing platform on the perimeter directly opposite the terminal.

holes have also been provided at intervals in the fence.

Finally, you. Can take pictures over fence at the eastern end of the runway.

Not as busy as LHR/LGW etc but you do get some rarities.

ish2dachoppa

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 am

When 09 is the arrival runway for Phuket Int. Airport in Thailand, Nai Yang Beach is the Maho Beach of Asia.

nabla

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 am

Although it might not be optimal for taking photos because it's inside with a glass window, I always liked to spend some time when connecting to LH in FRA at the corner of FRA's Terminal 1 A pier, close to gate A26.

joel31098

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:31 am

I love AKL. There are 2 great spotting locations at the end of RWY 23L. Great proximity.

Pohakuloa

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:32 am

When winds are from the west in HNL and 22/26 are in use, the popular spot increases at the end of Lagoon drive. I like Palekona street lots as many in the know do as well. West winds bring close taxis and retracting gear after lift off by the Kamaka hanger. Normal trades have it as a touchdown zone for 4R. Sheriffs and security usually aren't so bad. They are vigilant, but understanding as well. If you are lucky to blend in at Hawaii Life Flight lot, you can get some nice power up music there.

This last photo is a daily taxi site regardless of winds. Parking lot right next to GA entrance and taxiway RT to RA would be right there. you can sometimes feel the jet blast on the turn to RA or see the loose dust kicked up into the fence line. 2 cents for what I know.

Used to be able to be under a tree at the threshold of runway 8 in ITO. That was paradise. Haven't been though since the post September 11th era of aviation though, so unsure if it's even possible there anymore.

Pohakuloa
Fast cars and 'Jet A' - such a sweet smell!

ACATROYAL

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 am

Nice pictures

777Jet

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:20 am

Kantarat Golf Course, located between the runways at DMK.

Golf with beautiful caddies and plane spotting at the same time... Good times...

ish2dachoppa wrote:
When 09 is the arrival runway for Phuket Int. Airport in Thailand, Nai Yang Beach is the Maho Beach of Asia.

I'll be there in a few weeks!
Last edited by 777Jet on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

777Jet

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:33 am

ish2dachoppa wrote:

BTW I'll be visiting for the first time.

What is the best way to get there from Patong beach? Taxi? Rent a scooter / motorbike for the day? Where is the best place to park or get dropped off to get to the beach? Best time to go?

Any info would be appreciated!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

ish2dachoppa

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:31 am

Trip-7, the way I did it was to catch a taxi from wherever you are in Patong Beach (I was at the Dusit D2 because they had both the Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters right there in the building) to the Centara Grand WEST SANDS Resort, which is by the airport. I had to emphasis West Sands because there are two Centara Grands in Phuket, so let the taxi drive know its the one by the airport with the water park.

The taxi will drop you off at main reception building. You don't have to go in, just follow the footpaths /roads signs for the beach. Its like a 3-4 minute walk. Basically, head for the treeline. Once you get on beach, the airport is to the left when you are facing the water.

I wasn't bothered by the hotel staff as I walked through the grounds, but it was plainly obvious that I was a tourist, not a local.

Just reverse these steps to get back to main reception to get a taxi back. I don't recall how many bhat it was, but its about a 45 minute drive from the Patong beach area. I did my shooting early in the morning (8-9:30). I would have stayed longer if my schedule had permitted it.

Vasu

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:31 am

Heathrow T5 Thistle Hotel - Can't knock the views from the runway view rooms... Even the short walk from there to the nearby McDonalds is full of low, roaring engines :)

727LOVER

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:54 pm

holeham wrote:

That place is great....especially on a Sunday morning. No auto traffic noise, so you can hear pure unfiltered MD-80 thrust. THE BEST SOUND IN THE WORLD !!!! :D

For TPA, there's also

NORTHWEST COMMERCE PARK
RAYTHEON AREA
BEHIND SOUTH PEMCO HANGAR

You need airport approval for the last two, but that's relatively easy

On the old site, I'd show pics, but of course, NOW...I can't figure out how to do that :shock:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

YYZSpotter1991

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:04 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Hello Everyone,

*The proximity of this spot to the threshold can truly be gauged in this video from the cockpit

Terminal 3 at YYZ is also a bit of an underrated spotting location. The large window at the western end of the terminal is accessible without having to check in and pass through security. I believe this is one of the only airports in the world to have this view without needing to get to the departure gates. Granted, it doesn't give you much in spotting takeoffs and landings but the apron is right outside and you have a full view of many of the gates at both terminals 1 and 3; with T3 home to all non-Star Alliance carriers as well as Westjet.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

reffado

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:37 pm

SDU road on runway end. Not much airline variety at the airport, but the scenery gives for an amazing composition with aircraft landing and views of Rio in the background.

yonahleung

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Taipei Songshan Runway 10 is my pick. You can get blasted by anything from MD-82s to 787s and it is just the SXM of the east (without the beach).

Mimark06

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:11 pm

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Terminal 3 at YYZ is also a bit of an underrated spotting location. The large window at the western end of the terminal is accessible without having to check in and pass through security. I believe this is one of the only airports in the world to have this view without needing to get to the departure gates. Granted, it doesn't give you much in spotting takeoffs and landings but the apron is right outside and you have a full view of many of the gates at both terminals 1 and 3; with T3 home to all non-Star Alliance carriers as well as Westjet.

Is this spot accessible at all. It's just that I've never seen a single photo from that location...

scbriml

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 pm

reffado wrote:
SDU road on runway end. Not much airline variety at the airport, but the scenery gives for an amazing composition with aircraft landing and views of Rio in the background.

Agreed! The best part about it is you can stand just 50m from the end of the runway with no fence or wall or any barrier between you and the action. It is, possibly, the best place I've ever been.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

spacecadet

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:06 pm

ER757 wrote:
PDX has a nice viewing area along Marine View Drive (or is it just Marine Drive) on the north side of the field. Was better when DL had lots of wide bodies to Asia but it's still good.

If you're thinking of the same spot I am, then that's what I came here to write as well. Marine Drive has a path between it and the river, and there's not much traffic, not many people and literally just a wire fence between you and the airport.

It's really cool to walk this, because on one side you have river and forest and it's complete nature, and on the other side you have a busy airport!
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

SamLloyd

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:37 pm

At Bristol Airport, the view from Winters Lane is good for viewing both arrivals and departures, but, under the approach for runway 30 at Cardiff, there's a small side road just off the perimeter road. Despite it being quite a quiet airport, I'd expect that it would be a great location when a BA heavy comes in for maintenance, being just a couple of hundred meters from the threshold!

Noreastshuttle

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:43 pm

KBWI has a great viewing park as well with swing sets and picnic tables at the end of the runway.
BOS-WASH Megalopolis