Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaxTrimm

Re: Most underrated plane spotting locations in the world

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:33 pm

ER757 wrote:
PDX has a nice viewing area along Marine View Drive (or is it just Marine Drive) on the north side of the field. Was better when DL had lots of wide bodies to Asia but it's still good.

When I lived near ORD I always found the parking lot at the Rosemont Horizon to be a great place for watching the heavies from Europe arriving in the afternoon. I have photo albums full of 747's, DC-10's and L-1011's taken from that spot. It's been years since I've been back there, not even sure it's there anymore

Last time I went to Marine Drive, I was kicked out. I must add ASIG FBO to the list at SEA, great views of 34 arrivals and departures as well as 16L heavy departures.

MalevA346

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:48 pm

Geneva, Restaurant d'Altitude. You can see most airport movements and runway.. Can spend hours there... Not cheap though.

petertenthije

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:15 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I thought this one might be fun, since everyone here is an AvGeek, and so I thought the most underrated locations would make for an interesting thread.

I am not sure if you and me share the same definition of underrated. If you had named your list "top 10 best known spots" the list would no be all that different.

Some of the spots I would say are actually overrated. For instance the Manchester viewing park. It faces the sun most of the time, but it still attracts a large crowd. Arguably the mounds at the other side of the runway offer a much better view.

For plane spotting (collecting numbers) the Polderbaan at AMS is not recommendable as you are oretty much guaranteed to miss almost half the movements. For spotting the observation terrace can not be beat. For photography the polderbaan is ok, although here to the sun will be in front of you most of the time (assuming you go to the official area). But because it is well known I would not call it underrated. The area around the Aalsmeerderbaan however I would call underrated.

As for real underrated airports I would think LaGuardia fits the bill. Most spotters visiting NYC go no further then JFK and/or EWR. However, LGA offers great bank shots near the Metz stadium. But because there are no widebodies and traffic is restricted to USA and Canada this place is often overlooked.

Bonus: Worst- ?..DTW is the other airport that comes to mind, with dots in the windows (WHY?)
Another airport that is underrated. Unless this has changed since my last visit a few years ago the windows facing north at the narrow side of the terminal do not have the dreaded dots.
Attamottamotta!

YYZSpotter1991

Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 am

Mimark06 wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:
Hello Everyone,

1. As mentioned, this is a very close tie with #1. I gave the petrol station at YYZ the slight edge, because this list was about the most UNDERRATED spots and most people will not expect much from a humble gas station. This spot truly surprised me and I found it to live up to the hype. 777s and the A380 can be photographed astonishingly low here, much like Gravelly Point, and the variety of planes is second to none!
https://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php/ ... al_Airport
*The proximity of this spot to the threshold can truly be gauged in this video from the cockpit
https://youtu.be/aBJAxUkfZq4

Terminal 3 at YYZ is also a bit of an underrated spotting location. The large window at the western end of the terminal is accessible without having to check in and pass through security. I believe this is one of the only airports in the world to have this view without needing to get to the departure gates. Granted, it doesn't give you much in spotting takeoffs and landings but the apron is right outside and you have a full view of many of the gates at both terminals 1 and 3; with T3 home to all non-Star Alliance carriers as well as Westjet.

Is this spot accessible at all. It's just that I've never seen a single photo from that location...

Absolutely. I published a video on my Youtube channel just over 2 years ago from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDez2LxQqU
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

jeffh747

Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:45 am

South Florida is lucky to have not one, not two, but three major airports within an hour and twenty minutes of each other.
Palm Beach International (KPBI)- PBI has an official observation area off of Southern Blvd, right next to Gulfstream. Departures to the East are kind of hard to catch, and you can't see arrivals from the West. But arrivals from the East and departures to the West make for some good shots.

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International (KFLL)- FLL has three official areas. The first one is just South of Runway 10L and is next to the Broward County Animal Shelter. You get insanely close to aircraft taxiing by and good shots of arrivals from the West. Additionally, the airport green belt South of 10R is a good place for all kinds of operations. It has an elevated viewing platform and is great for picnics on a warm day. You can see action on 10R especially well. The Hibiscus Garage is another favorite of mine because you can see both runways simultaneously. If you want to catch a special plane and don't know whether it will use 10L or 10R, the Hibiscus Garage is a safe bet. It's also the best place to spot when arrivals and departures are going towards the West.

Miami International Airport (KMIA)- MIA has two official areas. El Dorado, just South of Runway 9, gives great shots of the heavy international arrivals, and departures from 9. The Holes, just South of Runway 12, allows for great photos of departures on 8L, 8R, and 12. You'll mostly see American Airlines traffic from this spot, but occasionally you'll get the heavy 747 or A330 landing on 12- which really makes for the best photos from this spot- when aircraft use 12.

Bonus: Fort Lauderdale Executive (KFXE)- FXE has a small observation area. You won't see any airlines but the corporate traffic here is pretty interesting! Also, stop by the Banyan pilot shop at FXE. Pretty neat store and a cool stop especially if you're a pilot.

Come on down and book your spotting trips to South Florida! You won't regret it!
Jeff
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

elbandgeek

Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 am

There's not much in terms of variety (I personally like WN 737s but that's me) but hanging out at the white castle at 63rd and Cicero by MDW gets you about as close to the end of a runway as you can get

Draken21fx

Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Anywhere around GIB airport on a stormy day. Especially if you manage to get into a boat at the marina next to it.
Also the viewing balcony is not bad either.

The image is from http://araktree.blogspot.com

Also everything around JSI is lovely. More details from the expert here :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTO20zUj45E

cheeken

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Carpethead wrote:
Not exactly the busiest airport in the world but for runway ends go, Osaka Itami (ITM) at Runway 32L.

Agreed, here are two pictures I took from spotting at ITM with the locations:

1)This one was shot from just north of Osaka College of Music, what I liked about 32L approaches is that they fly right over urbanised areas, so it kind of gives the kaitak vibes...

2) This one was shot from the platform of Okamachi station along the Hankyu line. Heat distortion can be a problem though!

canyonblue17

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:50 pm

If you fancy bizjets - head up the road from Mia about 75 miles and stop in at PBI on a Fri or Sun in season (Nov-March) and view an endless line of Gulfstreams, Hawkers, Learjets and such. The airport has a small picnic area with tables on the south side and at the east end of the airport is a Hilton hotel with a parking lot that provides excellent views of arrivals from the east.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

OA260

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 pm

ACE is a nice one. Good spotting locations right around the airport. From the beach, the promenade and the raised area where everyday you can see a few spotters out.

JeffinMass

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:53 pm

There are many locations around BOS that are ideal depending on the wind conditions. Being on the harbor there can be some Awesome! sunrise and sunset images taken too.

777Jet

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:20 am

ish2dachoppa wrote:
Trip-7, the way I did it was to catch a taxi from wherever you are in Patong Beach (I was at the Dusit D2 because they had both the Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters right there in the building) to the Centara Grand WEST SANDS Resort, which is by the airport. I had to emphasis West Sands because there are two Centara Grands in Phuket, so let the taxi drive know its the one by the airport with the water park.

The taxi will drop you off at main reception building. You don't have to go in, just follow the footpaths /roads signs for the beach. Its like a 3-4 minute walk. Basically, head for the treeline. Once you get on beach, the airport is to the left when you are facing the water.

I wasn't bothered by the hotel staff as I walked through the grounds, but it was plainly obvious that I was a tourist, not a local.

Just reverse these steps to get back to main reception to get a taxi back. I don't recall how many bhat it was, but its about a 45 minute drive from the Patong beach area. I did my shooting early in the morning (8-9:30). I would have stayed longer if my schedule had permitted it.

Thank you. Will do.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:05 pm

FSDan wrote:
Also, the observation deck at AMS is definitely awesome! I don't think there is anywhere in the U.S. where you can get to an official observation deck like that without going through security.

When it comes to observation decks, don't forget the one in EIN. It's above the terminal and has a great view on the platform with the runway behind it. Can be accessed through the restaurant (land side). Unfortunately there's a glass wall, but still it has a great view.

FSXFlyguy

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:34 pm

michaelg90222 wrote:
When 07L is in use for landing at LHR, I enjoy taking a seat on the grass in the wetland area near Colnbrook, in between the M25 and the airport perimeter road (coordinates -0.500585, 51.477403). It is much more pleasant than standing on the side of the busy dual carriageway or on the bridge close-by like some people seem to do, and no one seems to know it exists as 90% of the time, I'm the only one there!

Also, the grassy area is on a hill and directly under the final approach so you are very close to the arriving aircraft - especially the heavies. And also if you find the right position to look over the trees, you can watch the aircraft all the way onto the runway.

You can park close by (coordinates -0.492318, 51.479391) for cheaper than at Hatton Cross/Myrtle Av and is free at the weekends :D There is also a bus stop at the entrance to the wetland area, although I have never caught one so not sure what route serves it.

I know exactly where you mean. The bus stop is served by the 81 that you can get on anywhere on Bath Road where all the hotels are. It also gets served by the 60 from T5.

TracyAnnFL

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:29 am

holeham wrote:
Another spot that features quite a bit of GA and some commercial spotting is just off the end of PIE's runway 36R. There's a vacant field that you can park in and watch all of the Allegiant flights come and go. What makes this a great spot is that it is also a busy airport for the USCG, so there are plenty of HC-130 touch and goes as well as plenty of MH-60 Jayhawks tooling around.

This is so underrated!! I like TIA but I haven't found anywhere to get closer to spot them as PIE. The empty field (where semi trucks park) next to CVS or there are also a few back ways behind some of the private hangars, they've never hassled me for hanging out and taking pics. Drive around and explore ;) I spend a couple days a week out here as I live close by. Also, a few days a week if you are in the right spot you can be super close to the Army Med Helis landing and taking off, close as about 20 yards, same runway when the planes are landing from the bay side/

727LOVER

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:53 pm

TracyAnnFL wrote:
holeham wrote:
Another spot that features quite a bit of GA and some commercial spotting is just off the end of PIE's runway 36R. There's a vacant field that you can park in and watch all of the Allegiant flights come and go. What makes this a great spot is that it is also a busy airport for the USCG, so there are plenty of HC-130 touch and goes as well as plenty of MH-60 Jayhawks tooling around.

This is so underrated!! I like TIA but I haven't found anywhere to get closer to spot them as PIE. The empty field (where semi trucks park) next to CVS or there are also a few back ways behind some of the private hangars, they've never hassled me for hanging out and taking pics. Drive around and explore ;) I spend a couple days a week out here as I live close by. Also, a few days a week if you are in the right spot you can be super close to the Army Med Helis landing and taking off, close as about 20 yards, same runway when the planes are landing from the bay side/

I haven't been on that north side in years....I'll have to check that out when the weather cools down.

Here's some pics from the south side

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Allegian ... 14/2451168
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Allegian ... 29/2451521
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Tran ... 04/2110678
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

kearnet

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm

MHT (The other Manchester) has several great spots, including the official one, at the N.H. Aviation Museum parking, lot which directly faces RWY 17/3.

C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

MadameConcorde

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I am surprised to see that no one has yet mentioned Nice Côte d'Azur (NCE) which is in my opinion the most beautiful airport in Europe.

You can spot airplanes from a variety of places along the coast from Promenade des Anglais in Nice all the way to Cap d'Antibes depending on the wind direction. There are lots of VIP jets all year round especially during Summer when all the Arab Sheikhs and Princes bring in their mega-jets and keep them parked on the apron sometimes for weeks.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

NeBaNi

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:54 pm

TC957 wrote:
Airports in Japan & Germany all have fab viewing decks or public areas for plane watching. The Fly Inn shopping mall at IST is also great.

Agreed! I'd like to point out Berlin Tegel, TXL, in particular, where the "old" design of the terminal really helps. You can just go to the top of the terminal and see the action on the taxiway and one of the runways pretty close-up. (My avatar picture was taken there!)

FSDan wrote:
The observation deck at MSP (concourse D) is a nice spot to pass a layover. Great views of the concourse C, D, and E tarmac, and good runway views. The only detractor is that it is inside.

I wish the observation deck wasn't behind glass, but with Minnesota winters, it's hardly surprising. Some great views from there though for sure. Every time I fly out of MSP I get to the airport early just to go to the observation deck lol.

There is also this dogpark near MSP, at this location:
https://goo.gl/maps/bGwiTe82AiK2
This is right at the end of one of the runways and you can get some pretty sweet views of Delta A330s taking off if you time your visit right.

goldorak

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:33 am

CFU (Corfu, Greece) is also an incredible spot, in beautiful environment.

Atlwarrior

Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:48 am

ATL definetely College Park train station parking lot when winds are from the east. My best is In and Out burger at LAX.

bennett123

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:22 am

Last time I was at BHX, best spot was top floor of the NCP car park near Elmdon.

Is this still allowed?.

N14AZ

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:34 pm

In 2012 I worked in the West Bank and during weekend I did some planespotting and took some pictures at Tel Aviv's "city airport", Tel Aviv Sde-Dov airport. You can take Pictures from a promenade at the beach and you will be very close to the action:

Adipasquale

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 am

The former Flying Tigers Restaurant, now MercyFlight at BUF is a great place to spot. There is a hill that you can climb that puts you above the fence, and when Rwy 23 is in use, planes taxi by extremely close, and spotting is the best, but its still a good place to spot when Rwys 5 (and more rarely) 14 and 32 are in use. Of course the traffic is mostly A32X, 737, MD88/90/717 and RJ, with a few FX and 5X A300s/767s mixed in, so if heavies are your thing, BUF is not the place for you.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

bennett123

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:12 am

At Corfu, the best place is at Kanoni.

There is a causeway, and planes fly right your head on landing.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:20 am

This place by LAX. It's a dog park. With jumbo jets taking off RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. http://www.elsegundo.org/depts/recreati ... g_park.asp
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

TracyAnnFL

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:25 am

727LOVER wrote:
TracyAnnFL wrote:
holeham wrote:

I haven't been on that north side in years....I'll have to check that out when the weather cools down.

Here's some pics from the south side

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Allegian ... 14/2451168
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Allegian ... 29/2451521
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Tran ... 04/2110678

Is that Air Transat recent? Don't see much besides the Allegiant since I've been coming here. Awesome pics! I've been plane spotting for a few years and just now taking up photography, still having difficulty getting good shots of anything moving or flying but I'm learning :)

PatrickZ80

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:52 pm

What about ACE (Lanzarote), the Maho Beach of the Canary Islands? I've been there myself lately and it's great walking along the beach from Puerto del Carmen along the airport all the way to Playa Honda. The best spotting point is of course right in front of the runway where you can see the runway lights construction in the sea before you. The aircraft pass straight over your head just moments before landing.

A bit further along the path inbetween the airport and the beach is also nice since this part of the beach is, although not widely advertised, a nudist beach and it's often joked about that plane spotters just turn around to shoot some interesting pics at the moments there's no activity at the airport. However when I was there I hardly saw any nudists at that beach.

OA260

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:02 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
What about ACE (Lanzarote), the Maho Beach of the Canary Islands? I've been there myself lately and it's great walking along the beach from Puerto del Carmen along the airport all the way to Playa Honda. The best spotting point is of course right in front of the runway where you can see the runway lights construction in the sea before you. The aircraft pass straight over your head just moments before landing.

Indeed see my post above with pics . Another good spot is at the end of the runway opposite the Hiperdino Supermarket.

727LOVER

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 am

holeham wrote:

Visited PIE today for the first time in 4 months. Sadly, this spot is GONE. :cry:
They have put barricades in front of the entrance....and the area along the ditch next to the main road...now littered with NO PARKING signs. This was a great place to hear pure, unfiltered MD-80 blast.

I can't imagine what the reasoning was behind this decision. People just enjoying airplanes !! :x
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

UltimateDelta

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:54 pm

For an indoor spot, one of my favorite places is the connector between concourses A and B in SLC which gives you great views of 16L/34R in the afternoon:

For outdoor spots, Gravelly Point gets my vote- I always make a stop there whenever I'm in DC. The parking lot of the Udvar-Hazy Center is a great place, too (better than the tower for photos, although just watching from the tower is pretty awesome):

Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

VS4ever

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 pm

xandaman wrote:
Not the best for heavy movements but you can get right underneath things at BHX at the end of 15 in Sheldon Country Park especially on a windy day. BHX is known for its crosswinds and on a good windy day it can make for some interesting catches.

Also, if you want to combine this with a love of golf, there's Hatchford brook next to the airport, which runs right along the runway, so a few lost balls on those two holes could see a very long round take place and some good photos.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

AerolineasAR343

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30 am

AEP as the runway is literally right next to the sidewalk (behind a fence obviously), you get great shots of take offs and landings. Only bad thing is that there isn't much variety, just 737s (AR, GOL), A320s (LATAM), E190s (AU) and the odd private plane.