Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Should there be a dress code for airline passengers?

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 pm

Should airlines have the right to ask passengers to change their clothing before boarding a flight? According to a new survey, 21% of travellers believe they should.
The survey, conducted by Chicago-based GO Airport Express, revealed that while 21% of people think airlines should be able to enforce a dress code on flyers, 31% of respondents disagreed and 37% had no opinion.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/07/sh ... passengers
---
Unless we are talking about having one just in F and J then I disagree, as I don't believe in having a dress code for W, Y+ or Y. Heck I don't really believe in a dress code point, but I could see why you would enjoy having one in F and J.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

a380787

Re: Americans believe their should be a dress code for when you fly

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 pm

If passengers can have some etiquette then no one has to be the dress code nazi. Maybe I'm old school, but people shouldn't be wearing see-through fish-nets or sequin tube-tops to fly, regardless of class of service. Just because something is legal doesn't make it acceptable unless you want to be an eyesore to everyone.

Sparrow787

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:37 pm

The chairman of the department of aviation at the college I attended believes that flying should go back to being for the wealthy folks only, since airlines barely break even on some routes

hOMSaR

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:12 pm

The thread headline is the opposite of what the information says. The vast majority do not believe there (not "their") should be a dress code.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

JetBuddy

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:21 pm

In my experience, it's much easier to get away with casual clothing in Business Class on US carriers, than it is with European legacy carriers.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:37 pm

As a former airline brat, I had to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt in warmer weather, with a sport coat in colder weather. The first time I paid for my own ticket I wore shorts, a tee shirt and tennis shoes with socks. It was a thrill! But yes, there should be a minimum dress code. And no offensive body odors. Or heavy cologne or perfume for that matter. If a fast food restaurant can post "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" on the window then airlines could certainly have similar standards in line with common decency. Whatever that entails.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

scbriml

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:47 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
In my experience, it's much easier to get away with casual clothing in Business Class on US carriers, than it is with European legacy carriers.

If I've paid for business class, then I'll wear what the hell I like (as long as it's decent).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

flyabr

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 pm

I don't care if someone wears their birthday suit, as long as they put on DEODORANT!!! :D

Yflyer

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:45 am

As far as I'm concerned as long as all your naughty bits are covered up and you're not too cold, then you're dressed properly.

Beatyair

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 am

Frankly there are some weird people out there and what they wear is somethings questionable.
No shirt, No shoes, No shorts(pants/skirt/dress) No service.
I am all for a very common sense dress code.

airportugal310

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 am

scbriml wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

If I've paid for business class, then I'll wear what the hell I like (as long as it's decent).

You tell 'em tough guy!!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Coal

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 am

Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

hz747300

Re: Should there be a dress code for airline passengers?

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 am

It would not appear that Americans (I'm one of them too) believe there should be a dress code when you fly. I cite a flight I took a few years' back from St. Louis to Orange County. A family came on and they were in tank tops, saggy pants or ripped shorts, and flip flops, but the best part was their luggage was just black garbage bags which they squeezed into the overhead bins.

I probably speak for most Americans when I say that there should only be a dress code for unattractive people. The gate agents will make the determination when the general population is unable to self select.
Keep on truckin'...

VNA863

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:51 am

Dress code should be applied only for J and F class passengers, and a reminder should be given from the airline possibly during booking time about the minimum requirement. This should not needed if some folks use their common sense and dress up appropriately.

One more thing, no sleeveless T-shirts please! I get very annoyed to see any of them wearing one especially for the bigger size passengers.

HGL

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:47 am

VNA863 wrote:
Dress code should be applied only for J and F class passengers,

I don't see why it should matter what I choose to wear into the cabin. They will give me a pair of pyjamas to change into anyway. ;)

But humour aside, as long as the clothing is clean I really don't care what other people wear. What to one person is chic and fashionable, to another is grotty. In one culture it is acceptable to wear long robes and head covering: in another it makes you a suspect. On some routes certain types of clothing might be more suitable than on others. For example holiday clothing to warm resort locations versus business attire on flights between London and Frankfurt.

However, many airlines do have dress codes even if their being enforced can be arbitrary (the airlines call it discretionary) and depend on how a particular crew member feels about it. But typical codes include not travelling barefoot and no T-shirts with offensive images or words. Some airlines impose dress codes for lounge access. Qantas, for example, states no thongs (i.e. flip-flops) and bare feet, head to toe gym wear, beachwear (including board shorts), sleepwear (including UGG Boots and slippers), clothing featuring offensive images or slogans, and revealing, unclean or torn clothing.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

thomasphoto60

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 am

hz747300 wrote:
I probably speak for most Americans when I say that there should only be a dress code for unattractive people.

Not certain as to what qualifies as "unattractive", but I do agree a certain standard should be adhered to. Many retail businesses and eating establishments have a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" policies, which I agree. I mean donning a polo or simple button down shirt, showering up, applying some deodorant, is that too much to ask over a 'wife beater' shirt, flip flops and reeking to high heaven ? As airlines like Spirit and Frontier seem encourage these types of flyers it is highly unlikely that we will see an official "dress code" within the industry.
Last edited by thomasphoto60 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Show me the Braniffs"

superjeff

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:11 am

Bo flip-flops, please, in any class. In an accident, they'd be dangerous, and there's no need to be a total slob on an airplane

oldannyboy

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 am

I don't think you could impose a dress-code...unfortunately! :-)
I really dislike fellow travelers who are dressed like beggars, especially when they are not freshly showered. But what can you do... these days people think they can more or less get away with anything... there is a general sense of entitlement that is poisoning day-to-day basic human relationships and interaction... I have happened to be seated next to a stinky young hippy who was travelling Europe with a backpack.. he apologized and gingerly explained that he had not made contact with running water for three consecutive days and had slept in the terminal.. He was young, attractive and blissfully naïve, like only 18 year olds can be. But that still didn't make him smell better.
On another occasion I had an older gentleman -otherwise dressed fine- remove his shoes, only to reveal a pair of sock literally caked in dirt and sweat. The smell was so overwhelming that he was politely but firmly asked to immediately put his shoes back on!
I've once had a fellow passenger (young and somewhat intoxicated) show up for his flight in flip-flops, tank top and swimming trunks, with sand still on his calves. He acted as if he was the coolest thing on earth. Next thing we know, after take off, he rummages through his bag, fishes out some clothes and changes there and then, barely covering his modesty with a t-shirt. Oh, well.

kgaiflyer

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Yflyer wrote:
As far as I'm concerned as long as all your naughty bits are covered up and you're not too cold, then you're dressed properly.

I fight a running battle in my college classroom between coeds who dress for the temperature outside (90F+ this week) and married women who have learned to dress for my air-conditioner setting (72F). Inevitably, a coed will ask me to 'change the HVAC' to a warmer setting.

Similarly, I've been on more than one flight on which a passenger dressed more appropriately for Hawaiian summertime than for an airliner with controlled ventilation asked the FA for a blanket. If I'm flying in the front, I've learned to sit on my cello-wrapped blanket even when I don't intend to use it in case I'm polled by the FA about giving it up for a freezing passenger in another part of the plane. My attitude has become "I hope the beach-wear-attired amateur flyer freezes his exposed parts off."

OTOH, if Mr. and Mrs. Upgrade want to show up in jeans and flannels rather than business-casual, I couldn't care as long as they're covered up

PITingres

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Dress codes mostly exist to encourage a sense of superiority, for good or bad. If you want to feel elegant, go to a fancy restaurant. Airplanes are for transportation and I couldn't care less what people wear, if anything. I adjust my dress according to the seasons and the needs of origin and destination; I'm not an on airplane to put on a show or induce an "atmosphere".

I will however agree that unnecessary dirt and BO are to be discouraged.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

WROORD

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:55 am

a380787 wrote:
If passengers can have some etiquette then no one has to be the dress code nazi. Maybe I'm old school, but people shouldn't be wearing see-through fish-nets or sequin tube-tops to fly, regardless of class of service. Just because something is legal doesn't make it acceptable unless you want to be an eyesore to everyone.

Could not agree more. Even Y you can wear something comfy that is not offensive or extreme. This does not only include see-threw but T-shirts with vulgar or offensive texts, etc.

fallap

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:30 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

I fight a running battle in my college classroom between coeds who dress for the temperature outside (90F+ this week) and married women who have learned to dress for my air-conditioner setting (72F). Inevitably, a coed will ask me to 'change the HVAC' to a warmer setting.

Similarly, I've been on more than one flight on which a passenger dressed more appropriately for Hawaiian summertime than for an airliner with controlled ventilation asked the FA for a blanket. If I'm flying in the front, I've learned to sit on my cello-wrapped blanket even when I don't intend to use it in case I'm polled by the FA about giving it up for a freezing passenger in another part of the plane. My attitude has become "I hope the beach-wear-attired amateur flyer freezes his exposed parts off."

OTOH, if Mr. and Mrs. Upgrade want to show up in jeans and flannels rather than business-casual, I couldn't care as long as they're covered up

Well, your coeds still have to transport themselves to and fro your classroom, if it's +30*C (Metric system FTW!) outside, then you can probably imagine students showing up in shorts and t-shirts. Unless of course, you are teaching rocket science that it. ;)
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

masgniw

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:02 pm

hz747300 wrote:
It would not appear that Americans (I'm one of them too) believe there should be a dress code when you fly. I cite a flight I took a few years' back from St. Louis to Orange County. A family came on and they were in tank tops, saggy pants or ripped shorts, and flip flops, but the best part was their luggage was just black garbage bags which they squeezed into the overhead bins.

I probably speak for most Americans when I say that there should only be a dress code for unattractive people. The gate agents will make the determination when the general population is unable to self select.

American here. You definitely don't speak for me. What's really unattractive are attitudes like this, drawing lines along meaningless and surface-deep qualities.

Flying is now transportation for the masses, not an elites-only experience. With that comes a diversity of people and lifestyles to which you may not be accustomed. Sorry.

USAIRWAYS321

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Sparrow787 wrote:
The chairman of the department of aviation at the college I attended believes that flying should go back to being for the wealthy folks only, since airlines barely break even on some routes

Common thinking from many of the elitists on this site, as well.

coolian2

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:25 pm

The very important business man in a suit is usually the biggest douche on board.

No.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

a380787

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:11 am

i know this pretentious guy who purposely wear full suit and tie whenever he flies 3-class F for the photo op (which is weird cuz he comes from money and flies F everyday so it's not even a novelty at all)

But then again, I've worn flip flops to AA's 3-class transcon F, so who am I to judge ?

ams747757

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:04 pm

I generally like to wear long pants/jeans when I'm flying, even when I travel in the summer. This means I will wear comfortable sneakers for walking through the airport. I suppose I would dress a little nicer if I was flying in Biz or First, but usually a casual shirt will do. I agree with many though, the main concern is cleanliness and smell as opposed to the visual appearance!

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Cleanliness and smell is the most important thing to me too but it would be nice if the traveling public dressed better. Personally I find that sloppy dressers who do not take of their personal appearance are sloppy in other areas of their life.

n92r03

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:57 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Cleanliness and smell is the most important thing to me too but it would be nice if the traveling public dressed better. Personally I find that sloppy dressers who do not take of their personal appearance are sloppy in other areas of their life.

Could not have said it better myself. Money doesn't buy class. Common courtesy, basic hygeine skills, don't dress like a slob/thug.

masgniw

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:05 pm

n92r03 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
don't dress like a slob/thug.

Woah -- that's an incredibly racist take!

Yflyer

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 am

n92r03 wrote:
don't dress like a slob/thug.

Ever watch The Sopranos? Plenty of thugs wear expensive Italian suits.

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Yflyer wrote:

My bits aren't naughty, just disgraceful :D

I think I would rather an etiquette/manners code than a dress code, modern life is far too rude.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

AA777223

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Beatyair wrote:
Frankly there are some weird people out there and what they wear is somethings questionable.
No shirt, No shoes, No shorts(pants/skirt/dress) No service.
I am all for a very common sense dress code.

No shorts?! You'd have trouble enforcing that on certain routes. People can wear nice chino shorts, but to say none at all seems a bit silly to me. I never wear them for safety reasons, but that's just my choice. I find shorts perfectly acceptable.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

AA777223

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:44 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

Not everyone who wears jeans is an upgrade. Some of us are fully paying J or F class passengers, but are just going on vacation. Not to mention, my jeans may have cost more than your dress slacks. If I am boarding a 12-16 hour flights, in which I have paid thousands extra for the privilege of sleeping, I will not feel one iota of apology for wearing jeans, tennis shoes, a fresh t-shirt or polo and probably a light sweater. Everything is clean, simple and comfortable. If you want to wear wool dress trousers and a pressed dress shirt only to arrive with it all wrinkled, more power to you. However, I agree with others here, that as long as you are clean and dressed modestly, I really couldn't care less. You paid to fly just like I did.

The stinkies amongst us, on the other hand, I have no tolerance for.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

KentB27

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 pm

As long as people aren't wearing something completely unreasonable then I couldn't care less. I'm more worried about offensive body odors and rude behavior than anything else. Etiquette and manners on commercial flights have become almost non-existent these days.

coolian2

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Regarding smells....if I've been in transit for 20+ hours and have had to make a big landside connection at LAX, I will have had a full change of clothes (I mean everything)....but there's only so much that and deodorant will do.

KentB27

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:12 pm

coolian2 wrote:
Regarding smells....if I've been in transit for 20+ hours and have had to make a big landside connection at LAX, I will have had a full change of clothes (I mean everything)....but there's only so much that and deodorant will do.

At least you would have tried to do something about it though. I would rather someone at least try to make themselves smell better and not be entirely successful than just say "oh well" and let it happen.

767333ER

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Who wants to dress up just to sit around on a plane for many hours? It just seems pointless. It gets even more pointless when people most often sleep on planes anyway. I am not dressing up in a suit and tie just to board a plane, sit down, and sleep. As long as people are wearing something that would comply with common sense, they're fine.

I was trying to fly LAX-SLC-YYC once on DL and missed my connection in SLC. They sent me through MSP the next day to get to where I was going. The first flight I was seated at the back of an A320. The plane has landed in MSP and I had very little time to make my connection. It took a long time to get off the thing since I was seated in the back so I had to run through the airport to my next flight. I get there and realize I am seated in row 1 of the A319. This happens sometimes where they put people in J like I was. If there was a specific dress code for J/F wouldn't that be a problem for times like this?
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

dc9northwest

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Just ban yoga pants.

Otherwise, shirts with vulgar texts should definitely be permitted, as they are much less offensive than yoga pants.

KentB27

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:53 pm

dc9northwest wrote:
Just ban yoga pants.

Yoga pants are just a fad. I bet they'll go out of style in the next few years.

LTU932

Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:32 pm

In F and J: No flipflops, no sleeveless shirts, no shorts! Unless you're suddenly upgraded without you requesting the upgrade, you must wear at least casual-formal, which means a decent shirt (can be a t-shirt as long as it doesn't have too weird of a motive), proper pants (can be jeans too, but not those with the holes in the legs that are trending right now), socks and normal shoes (though I'd accept decent sneakers as well). As for the ladies, no miniskirts, no hotpants, no tank tops.

In coach: No real dress code, but plelase try not to wear holiday clothing until you're actually in your destination. Which means for both male and female: No flipflops, no tank tops, for males no sandals, no shorts and please always wear socks.

I'm fairly liberal, but there are still limits for me.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

KGRB

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

It constantly amazes me how people will get themselves in a tizzy over something that doesn't affect them at all. Does your seat mate wearing yoga pants really negatively impact your travel experience? Personally, I prefer to mind my own business.

hz747300 wrote:
A family came on and they were in tank tops, saggy pants or ripped shorts, and flip flops, but the best part was their luggage was just black garbage bags which they squeezed into the overhead bins.

Does it make you feel good to make fun of those less fortunate than you?

coolian2 wrote:
The very important business man in a suit is usually the biggest douche on board.

Bingo.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

LABA

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:08 pm

coolian2 wrote:

The times I had to do TATL towards Asia, I have changed everything at LHR or FRA or CDG. Makes me feel better - which is more important. A little talc in a small ziploc is a wonderful thing!

coolian2

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:43 pm

KGRB wrote:
?
coolian2 wrote:

Bingo.

This thread is proving me right too

fallap

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 am

LTU932 wrote:
In F and J: No flipflops, no sleeveless shirts, no shorts! Unless you're suddenly upgraded without you requesting the upgrade, you must wear at least casual-formal, which means a decent shirt (can be a t-shirt as long as it doesn't have too weird of a motive), proper pants (can be jeans too, but not those with the holes in the legs that are trending right now), socks and normal shoes (though I'd accept decent sneakers as well). As for the ladies, no miniskirts, no hotpants, no tank tops.

In coach: No real dress code, but plelase try not to wear holiday clothing until you're actually in your destination. Which means for both male and female: No flipflops, no tank tops, for males no sandals, no shorts and please always wear socks.

Why should passengers flying F and J (Just say First and Business) have to follow a dress code, when those at the back of the planes are exempted? if anything, it should be the other way around, since those flying coach are squeezed together like sardines, and thus the risk of having a pair of pale naked legs hugging your pants is greatly increased.

Last time I flew up front (QR 787, absolutely terrific) I spent 98,7% of the time eating, drinking, looking out of the window, sleeping, reading, and watching TV. The last 1,3% were spent going to the lavatory. There could have been an entire family of Polar Bears in the cabin, and I wouldn't have noticed in the first place. Hell, I was wearing trekking pants, trekking boots, and an army shirt, and the lovely FA still pampered me and gave me top notch service. If I wouldn't notice Polar Bears in the cabin, then I'm sure you wouldn't notice someone wearing flip flops either ;)

I'm gonna wear a pair of shorts and flip flops next time I'm flying Business Class. ;)

Look, even the Captain and First Officer, wore shorts that day. Do you really think it would have been reasonable, to expect me and the crew to wear long pants in 37*C?

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Bunch of nerds in this thread. Stop trying to dictate what others do in their life that has no impact on you what so ever. Flying isn't an honor; its not a special thing- it never was and never will be. It was only "special" back in the day because it was new and it was expensive. Its just a mode of transport, and that's good.

Ya'll are really complaining about someone wearing flip flops or yoga pants on a flight? Get over yourselves.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:31 pm

You say this:
LTU932 wrote:

But then you go on saying:
LTU932 wrote:

Which is the exact opposite of being a "fairly liberal" person.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

LTU932

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 pm

I don't see the contradiction. I just think you should not dress like you're already on vacation or wear those horrible flipflops on board. It just looks horrible. As for F and J, I'm not saying men should wear suit and tie, and women a business dress.

Then again, I was raised to wear at least a decent t-shirt, proper pants and shoes when travelling. If I was dressed like a slob, I know I'd probably have people looking angrily at me and feel uncomfortable, so it's also a matter of dignity. Fortunately, I've not had bad experiences with the "dress code" on others.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

fallap

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 pm

LTU932 wrote:
I don't see the contradiction. I just think you should not dress like you're already on vacation or wear those horrible flipflops on board. It just looks horrible. As for F and J, I'm not saying men should wear suit and tie, and women a business dress.

Then again, I was raised to wear at least a decent t-shirt, proper pants and shoes when travelling. If I was dressed like a slob, I know I'd probably have people looking angrily at me and feel uncomfortable, so it's also a matter of dignity. Fortunately, I've not had bad experiences with the "dress code" on others.

LTU, If I ever encounter you on an airplane, wearing flip flops, sleeveless t-shirts, and shorts - I would be the first one to hug you and tell you how handsome you'd look. :b

LTU932

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:05 pm

fallap wrote:
LTU, If I ever encounter you on an airplane, wearing flip flops, sleeveless t-shirts, and shorts - I would be the first one to hug you and tell you how handsome you'd look. :b
Thanks, but no thanks. I generally refuse to wear flipflops, I always wear shoes and long pants. ;) Sleeveless shirts (like basketball jerseys) are possible, but only with a t-shirt under it. :twisted: