Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Which airline should I choose from LON-HAV? AC, UX, AF, IB, KL or VS?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:04 am

I am planning on flying from London to Havana in March 2017 for a 2 week holiday, travelling around Cuba.

I will be flying Economy. VS is obviously direct (and currently flights are around the £650 mark), or I can pay around £500-550 and stop off at the airlines' respective hub, which I don't mind doing.

Anyone have any recommendations?

OA260

Re: Which airline should I choose from LON-HAV? AC, UX, AF, IB, KL or VS?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:29 am

I would look at IB or AC. The IB product is greatly improved or a stopover in YYZ might be nice with AC. When I flew YYZ-VRA they gave us the Cuban visa onboard also not sure if AC still do that now.

8herveg
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 am

OA260 wrote:
I would look at IB or AC. The IB product is greatly improved or a stopover in YYZ might be nice with AC. When I flew YYZ-VRA they gave us the Cuban visa onboard also not sure if AC still do that now.

Thanks. Do you know if I can get Avios points if I book on IB? It seems on the website, it's only possible if you're a Iberia Plus member? Which I'm not..., only a BA Executive Club member.

OA260

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 am

Yes you earn AVIOS on IB flights as long as it is a miles earning booking class. Those are listed on the BA Exec Club website. There is a space to enter your BA number in the drop down menu on IB website during the booking process.

debonair

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 am

Check this: http://www.wheretocredit.com

IB - I don't know... The flight to MAD must be on either BA (code-share) or IB A340/A330 (for the fun)! IB European service is low-cost (no food, no drinks and cramped seat-pitch; especially on the A321)! And I would be too nervous, that IB is doing a last minute swap from the beautiful A333/A345 to an old and dingy A340-300.

LX138

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:30 am

I would stick with VS, that's going to be the best product getting there. Wouldn't dream of IB to HAV. It's generally one of their least well yeilding routes. The AC idea with the onboard visa does sound appealing but I can't imagine the experience would better VS.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

8herveg
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
Yes you earn AVIOS on IB flights as long as it is a miles earning booking class. Those are listed on the BA Exec Club website. There is a space to enter your BA number in the drop down menu on IB website during the booking process.

Are you sure that you can enter your number on the IB website? I couldn't find it when doing a dummy booking. By the looks of things, you have to be a member of Iberia Plus

longhauler

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:18 pm

OA260 wrote:

The connection through YYZ is great now. No Customs, just directly to the international departures area where there are lots of shops, restaurants, etc. As you stay with one airline, you are montitored by "Customer Journey Management" just in case there are delays. If either flight into YYZ is delayed, they will already know, and have planned options for you.

If you are really lucky and miss your flight, they put you in the Sheraton on top of Terminal Three ... great for spotting! :D But ... with 5 flights a day between YYZ and LHR and up to 14 a day between Canada and LHR, there are always lots of options.

You will be issued a tourist card/visa on your flight to Cuba. It is included in your fare.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

OA260

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:09 pm

8herveg wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Are you sure that you can enter your number on the IB website? I couldn't find it when doing a dummy booking. By the looks of things, you have to be a member of Iberia Plus

Viscount724

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:26 am

longhauler wrote:
OA260 wrote:

The connection through YYZ is great now. No Customs, just directly to the international departures area where there are lots of shops, restaurants, etc. As you stay with one airline, you are montitored by "Customer Journey Management" just in case there are delays. If either flight into YYZ is delayed, they will already know, and have planned options for you.

If you are really lucky and miss your flight, they put you in the Sheraton on top of Terminal Three ... great for spotting! :D But ... with 5 flights a day between YYZ and LHR and up to 14 a day between Canada and LHR, there are always lots of options.

You will be issued a tourist card/visa on your flight to Cuba. It is included in your fare.

However since the travel date is March, remember that March is still winter in Canada with the risk of possible delays if your trip happens to coincide with a major snowstorm, reference the following Toronto news item from March this year.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/0 ... o-gta.html

Excerpt:

Pearson International Airport is reporting scores of cancellations — at least 165 arrivals and 80 departures since midnight last night.

XAM2175

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 am

As a slightly left-of-field option, how about CU from ORY?

PatrickZ80

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:20 am

Some other options that haven't been listed yet, but are worth investigating:

AB with a transfer in DUS
OS with a transfer in VIE
EW with a transfer in CGN
BV with a transfer in either MXP or FCO
IG with a transfer in MXP
NO with a transfer in MXP
DL with a transfer in ATL
AA with a transfer in either MIA or TPA

8herveg
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 am

OA260 wrote:
8herveg wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Thanks. I was obviously being blind!

8herveg
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:53 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Some other options that haven't been listed yet, but are worth investigating:

AB with a transfer in DUS
OS with a transfer in VIE
EW with a transfer in CGN
BV with a transfer in either MXP or FCO
IG with a transfer in MXP
NO with a transfer in MXP
DL with a transfer in ATL
AA with a transfer in either MIA or TPA

Thanks. When I was looking before, the AA and DL options weren't possible as they weren't even on the system yet I don't think. I don't think AA are great though. I think European airlines do it better!