Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA757
Topic Author

Hawaii advice

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Thinking about planning a trip to Hawaii (never been). Looking for advice on the following:

-suggested airlines and routing for catching widebodies (we live near BOS)
-best island(s) assuming a trip of about a week
-what you really recommend doing, i.e. resorts, activities, any standout vegetarian/vegan food, etc.
-is there an off-season (to avoid crowds) or best time to go in general?

Thanks!

717atOGG

Re: Hawaii advice

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't have much advice, but I hope this helps. I've been to Hawaii twice with my family, once in Summer 2014 and once in Summer 2015. I'm going again in December. I've gone to Maui for the two trips and Kauai for this coming trip. I recommend HA, we've taken them for both trips, and they have mood lighting, free wine (even though I am underage, I remembered they offered red and white wine) and free meals in Y, plus AVOD. I flew them on SEA-HNL-OGG-SEA on the first trip and nonstop going back. The lone 717 flight was very short, but nice. They offered POG, and then descended. A good routing would be on HA and B6 because they have a codeshare. Some ideas are to fly into HNL, then connect from there to an island. In order to get to HNL, I think that BOS-JFK-HNL or BOS-LAX-HNL would work. If you stay overnight, then OAK, SJC, PDX, SMF, SEA, SAN, and PHX become connecting options. I don't have very much advice outside of Maui, but on Maui I recommend snorkeling at Molokini, the road to Hana, the Haleakala sunrise tour, the Maui Ocean Center, and the Iao Valley State Monumemt. Hope this helps.
Ian :)
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

DocLightning

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Maui is a great island. Not as congested as Oahu OR Kauai (Kauai thinks it's tiny, and it is...but because there is just a two-lane road running around the island it's non-stop traffic jam). It's more cosmopolitan than Kauai without being full of the Waikiki crowd like Oahu. Maui also has the best whale watching, surfing, and snorkeling.

The Big Island is basically two islands. One side is wet and green and one side is dry and brown. If you're a space geek, then go to the observatories on top of Mauna Kea.

As far as routing and airlines, HA has some free food and currently only operates widebodies to the mainland. That said, they don't have many stops on the east coast. UA has WiFi on the overwater portion. From BOS a connection at SFO vs. LAX isn't going to make much difference so just take the route you like with the airline you like.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

lahaina

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 am

I would take BOS-JFK on Jet Blue, and JFK-HNL on HA. I did this in May. The service was very good.
If this is your first time in Hawaii, you may want to consider taking the interisland cruise. This way, you save on hotel and get a taste of each island. Next time when you come, you would know which island suits you the best and can spend more time on that island.

CARST

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:50 am

If you play Golf, go to O'ahu at least one day and play Ko'olau Golf Club. The worlds most difficult course. They have a hall of fame for players who've not lost a ball playing a round there. The course is in the middle of the jungle in the mountains North of Honolulu.

LY777

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:51 am

Hi
It really depends on what you want.
I visited Oahu and Maui, and Oahu is my favorite island hands down.
The beaches are superb. Don't miss the Western and Northern beaches (in particular Waimea Bay and Lanikai Beach).
Of course, don't miss Hanauma Bay.
You may also visit the Polynesian cultural center, Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbour...
You have also some shopping, tons of restaurant and bars, and the mythic Waikiki.

As for the airline, I would recommend HA.

Hope this helps
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

TWA757
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 pm

717atOGG wrote:
I don't have much advice, but I hope this helps. I've been to Hawaii twice with my family, once in Summer 2014 and once in Summer 2015. I'm going again in December. I've gone to Maui for the two trips and Kauai for this coming trip. I recommend HA, we've taken them for both trips, and they have mood lighting, free wine (even though I am underage, I remembered they offered red and white wine) and free meals in Y, plus AVOD. I flew them on SEA-HNL-OGG-SEA on the first trip and nonstop going back. The lone 717 flight was very short, but nice. They offered POG, and then descended. A good routing would be on HA and B6 because they have a codeshare. Some ideas are to fly into HNL, then connect from there to an island. In order to get to HNL, I think that BOS-JFK-HNL or BOS-LAX-HNL would work. If you stay overnight, then OAK, SJC, PDX, SMF, SEA, SAN, and PHX become connecting options. I don't have very much advice outside of Maui, but on Maui I recommend snorkeling at Molokini, the road to Hana, the Haleakala sunrise tour, the Maui Ocean Center, and the Iao Valley State Monumemt. Hope this helps.
Ian :)

Thank you!

DocLightning wrote:
Maui is a great island. Not as congested as Oahu OR Kauai (Kauai thinks it's tiny, and it is...but because there is just a two-lane road running around the island it's non-stop traffic jam). It's more cosmopolitan than Kauai without being full of the Waikiki crowd like Oahu. Maui also has the best whale watching, surfing, and snorkeling.

The Big Island is basically two islands. One side is wet and green and one side is dry and brown. If you're a space geek, then go to the observatories on top of Mauna Kea.

As far as routing and airlines, HA has some free food and currently only operates widebodies to the mainland. That said, they don't have many stops on the east coast. UA has WiFi on the overwater portion. From BOS a connection at SFO vs. LAX isn't going to make much difference so just take the route you like with the airline you like.

Thanks.

lahaina wrote:
I would take BOS-JFK on Jet Blue, and JFK-HNL on HA. I did this in May. The service was very good.
If this is your first time in Hawaii, you may want to consider taking the interisland cruise. This way, you save on hotel and get a taste of each island. Next time when you come, you would know which island suits you the best and can spend more time on that island.

HA seems like a good option, plus if all we have to do is get to JFK, I don't mind taking a long flight if it gets us there and we're done or basically done.

And I'll have to look into the cruise -- thanks for the tip!

CARST wrote:
If you play Golf, go to O'ahu at least one day and play Ko'olau Golf Club. The worlds most difficult course. They have a hall of fame for players who've not lost a ball playing a round there. The course is in the middle of the jungle in the mountains North of Honolulu.

Very cool -- thanks!

LY777 wrote:
Hi
It really depends on what you want.
I visited Oahu and Maui, and Oahu is my favorite island hands down.
The beaches are superb. Don't miss the Western and Northern beaches (in particular Waimea Bay and Lanikai Beach).
Of course, don't miss Hanauma Bay.
You may also visit the Polynesian cultural center, Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbour...
You have also some shopping, tons of restaurant and bars, and the mythic Waikiki.

As for the airline, I would recommend HA.

Hope this helps

Really appreciate it. Thanks, LY777 and everyone else!

dfwjim1

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I have been to the Hawaiian Islands several times over the years so here are my suggestions. If possible I would suggest making your trip ten days rather than a week as you will be spending one day going and probably an evening returning home. As for islands I would suggest splitting your time between Oahu and Maui and traveling before school gets out for the summer or when school is back in session as airline and hotel prices will be much lower. Fuel, groceries...etc are very expensive on the islands so make sure you have plenty of money budgeted for day-to-day purchases.

I would suggest taking American Airlines from BOS to DFW, DFW to HNL, HNL to OGG (HA) , OGG to DFW and then home to BOS. Of course as mentioned above there are a number of different airlines and routings available depending on your personal preference. Keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do and of course you have to file a trip report. You are going to love the Islands - it is like no where else on earth!

bunumuring

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry, but I have been to Hawaii, admittedly only once, and I didn't particularly like the place. It was okay, but I much preferred Malaysia, Thailand and Far North Queensland here in Australia to what Hawaii had to offer in comparison. I even preferred the volcanos in New Zealand. My only' favourite' thing Hawaii ranks in is airline livery - one of my top ten favourites! Go Hawaiian Airlines! And please don't change your livery, please please! Let the speculation be wrong for once!
Oh but of course, flying from continental USA makes Hawaii a million times more accessible than the places I have mentioned, lol!

Seriously though ...Good luck with your trip mate, and may you get everything out of it that you expect and deserve.

Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

n901wa

Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:58 am

Hi TWA757. I would go BOS to ATL or SLC or LAX and pick up a A330-300 or 767ER to HNL on Delta or Delta to JFK, and then on Hawaiian A330-200 to HNL.
I would recommend Oahu for your first Visit. For 1 week some of the other Islands get a little slow. At least on Oahu, you could go to the Arizona Memorial, the USS Missouri, Pacific aviation Museum , The Air Museum at Barbers Point, The Army Museum at Fort Derussy, Punchbowl, swim at Hanauma Bay, Go out to the North shore, and get some shave ice at Matsumoto's, Hike up Diamond Head, Visit the Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Hawaii Plantation Museum, Ghost tours. Forgot the Polynesian Cultural Center. etc... Also Oahu has the best beaches ( Not because I'm from there :) well maybe :) ) But some of the other Islands have more Rocky Beaches.
If you do go to Oahu, I like to stay at the Ala Moana Hotel. ( or with my Family, but that might be Hard :) ) Its right across the street from Ala Moana Park, and Beach. I would wake up early walk across the street and go for a swim and its attached to Ala Moana Mall. Just enough away from Waki Waki (Waikiki).
Hope this can help.

Yflyer

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:26 am

TWA757 wrote:
any standout vegetarian/vegan food, etc.

Maui is the only Hawaiian island I've been to, and that was over 10 years ago. But I have to ask, how strict of a vegetarian are you? Are you completely opposed to eating fish? Because if you are ok with eating it (and even if you're not maybe someone else will still find this post useful) hands down the best fish I've eaten in my life was at Mama's Fish House, off the Hana Highway a few miles from the airport (OGG that is). The restaurant has its own fishing boat, and the menu changes each day based on what they caught. I should warn you it was also among the most expensive meals I've ever had, too. Even though it doesn't look like much from the highway it is in some ways a fine dining establishment. Casual clothing is ok though, the place is an open air restaurant by the beach so they don't expect you to wear a tie or anything like that.

FBWFTW

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:57 pm

n901wa wrote:
or Delta to JFK, and then on Hawaiian A330-200 to HNL.

No need to take Delta to JFK and be forced to have to switch terminals, claim and re-check baggage as well as go thru security again when you can book right on Hawaiian's website, fly on JetBlue, check luggage all the way thru and merely change gates at JFK.
I'll put up a detailed post/review of my experiences on Hawaiian-they were absolutely amazing!
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Flown-712 722 732/5/8/9 741 752 762/3ER, L10, DC8/9/10 MD88 E75/90 A320/21 A332/3
Fav Plane(s) A330-243/L10
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL
https://my.flightradar24.com/FBWFTW#

FBWFTW

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:52 pm

TWA757 wrote:
Thinking about planning a trip to Hawaii (never been). Looking for advice on the following:

-suggested airlines and routing for catching widebodies (we live near BOS)
-best island(s) assuming a trip of about a week
-what you really recommend doing, i.e. resorts, activities, any standout vegetarian/vegan food, etc.
-is there an off-season (to avoid crowds) or best time to go in general?

Thanks!

Came across this thread a bit late and being from BOS, I wanted to toss in some advice for you.

I've been to Hawaii 3x now and about to go for a fourth time. Absolutely love it there! I'd recommend Outrigger Reef, Hilton Hawaiian or for MORE laid back perhaps Disney Aulani or one of the resorts at Ko'Olina for Oahu. Can't speak to "modern day" Maui as I was there in 1998-also AWESOME and +1 on Molokini snorkeling. I would def go back to Maui. Since it's your first time, i'd recommend flying into HNL, doing the historic stuff for a day or so and getting adjusted to the time difference (5-6hrs depending on season) and perhaps swapping islands for the balance of your trip. In 1998, we did 2 days on Oahu and 8 on Maui with a day trip to see the volcanos on the big island.

The main pointers I want to give you are for the routing.
If you live near BOS and want to "just get it over with and get there" B6/JetBlue codeshares with HA/Hawaiian.
It's really an awesome experience in Y/Y+ and you can get JetBlue points credited as well for flying Hawaiian (I'm
guessing you've likely used B6 before if your home airport is Logan/BOS since they're so big here)

The BOS-JFK-HNL routing allows you to leave BOS on one of the first few B6 flights to JFK (~5:40 is the first iirc) arrive at JFK, literally walk off the jetBlue plane, stroll down the terminal down to the end of T5 (gate 14) and step onto the HA A332! No re-security check, no terminal change that a connection at another airport might force on you, just walk off one plane, walk over to your gate and you're "in Hawaii" so to speak. HA51 departs between 9-10am usually depending on time of year.

The two times I took the JFK nonstop, our tickets including the JetBlue codeshare (booked all thru HA website) were just under $1000 ($988 iirc) and that was WITH an upgrade to HA's Extra Comfort seating (Extra legroom, free IFE, priority boarding etc. well worth the $100 per leg I paid-especially in row 11) the Extra Comfort upgrade is now $125 per leg for the JFK route but again-well worth the money for a 12 hour flight (blocked at 12:00-actual time for me was 10:28 and 10:50)
If flying in F is your thing-HA recently had JFK-HNL sales on F in January/Feb on Wednesday I think for $1500 or so RT (flatbeds on HA are a crapshoot as they're currently installing them on the A330's) and UA has the EWR-HNL flight with flatbeds which is also a short hop from Boston.

When you fly HA, you really ARE in Hawaii the moment you get on the plane! Hawaiian boarding music including the Hawaii Five-0 theme, movies (All Jurassic Park movies, 50 First Dates/shot in Hawaii movies and TV shows on their IFE, happy and attentive FA's, Hawaiian themed snacks (these are for purchase-get the MeleMacs!)
Even in Y/Y+, there's a snack and drink service (I recommend the POG juice) after takeoff, then somewhere roundabout 90min or two hours in, lunch service which was a pasta and meatball dish the first time and pasta, second flight was spinach and cheese pasta-both meals came with a small salad, water and Honolulu Cookie Co. cookie. Apparently between my first and second HA trip, some folks complained about the turkey meatballs (much to my dismay-but good for vegetarian folks who wouldn't have otherwise had an option for the long flight.) After the lunch service, folks seem settle in to watch IFE or whatever they've brought/sleep etc. There's a for purchase snack cart setup in the galley with the aforementioned Hawaiian snacks and the FA's are really good about coming thru with water and seconds of the free snack mix if you ask. About 90 minutes or so out of HNL the second meal service is a fruit and cheese plate with chocolate macadamia nuts served with more POG juice and/or Kona Coffee! The two services are a nice way to break up the long trip and it hits the spot.

There is something special and extra exciting about flying to Hawaii (even for an avgeek who loves flying) and HA being the "state" airline if you will, really captures the essence of Hawaii so much so that it feels like you're there the minute you get on the plane.

For a Y/Y+ experience, I cannot stress how awesome flying HA is. For east coast folks, when you couple that with the B6 connection/codeshare thru JFK (Boston is actually on Hawaiian's radar for another nonstop service in the next year or so) and you've got a seamless transition to Hawaii. I would say HA Y is JUST about on par with VX/B6 but if you're not in Extra Comfort/Y+ you don't get the free IFE so I gotta knock a couple points off for that-the IFE charges may have changed since December. Since I'll presume you're an avgeek-I should also mention that HA's got brand new A330's that are at max 6 years old, enthusiatic mostly local Hawaiian inflight crews, a truly Hawaiian vibe and most importantly, easy connections from the East Coast either thru JetBlue OR Virgin America which makes getting from Boston to Honolulu simple. On both of my recent trips, I left Boston in the early morning and arrived to Honolulu just in time to watch the sunset on the beach from your hotel with a mai tai or other adult beverage in hand.

There are a few other routings you could look into:
VX/B6 from BOS-LAX/SFO and then HA or VX onwards keep in mind that a west coast connection MAY require an overnight at SFO or perhaps a tight connect time at LAX for the last HA flight of the day.

There's also another option thru Las Vegas. Use that one if you wanted say to get into HNL in the early morning-you can take a later in the evening B6 flight 777 (lucky!) from BOS-LAS depart BOS ~8pm, arrive LAS ~11:00pm then connect to HA's LAS-HNL red eye that departs at ~1:30am Las Vegas time arriving HNL ~6am Hawaiian time.

I'm flying UA this year BOS-EWR-HNL but it's ONLY because I found a GREAT deal on lie flat seats ($1750RT normally $2500-3000 each way!)
I would NOTdo that long of a flight in the back of the bus on UA or another legacy carrier-only HA or VX. To that point-my first trip on Hawaiian, others in our party flew AA from BOS-PHX-HNL in first class while my wife and I flew B6/HA in Y+/Extra Comfort. Not only did we beat them to Hawaii, we actually had a better experience in economy than they did in First Class on the 757 from PHX. We wound up with MORE legroom, working personal TV IFE, free meals w wine if desired, a near to brand new plane all with a Hawaiian vibe!

Hope this all helps!
I made two video 'reviews' of my trips which are here: https://youtu.be/GlKL3uv7ldU
and
here:
https://youtu.be/75MynfJK5bY

I also put some pics of my Hawaiian Airlines experiences below-my apologies for the thumbnail ones I messed up using the postimg site.

If you have any further questions or I can help in any kind of way please don't hesitate to reply or even DM me!
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Flown-712 722 732/5/8/9 741 752 762/3ER, L10, DC8/9/10 MD88 E75/90 A320/21 A332/3
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL

DaveFly

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Great comments above. I am also visiting for the fourth time (within four years) very soon. I always go to Hawaii with at least one of my children. I've been to the four major islands. Each one spectacular in its own way. Oahu has some major tourist/historical attractions. Maui has the beautiful beaches, the road to Hana, Haleakala. The Big Island has Mauna Kea, the volcanoes, the northern cattle region. Kauai has so many outdoor activities like ATVs, catamarans, helicopter tours, hiking, horseback riding. I really can't pick a favorite, they're all great. Since I live in New York, I just take the HA nonstop from JFK. It's a great airline, with meals, good service. Then I hop one of the HA 717s in HNL to the other islands. Stress-free.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

TWA757
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:00 pm

FBWFTW wrote:
Came across this thread a bit late and being from BOS, I wanted to toss in some advice for you.

Thanks so much -- this is super helpful! I think I'm sold on flying HA! Really appreciate all the time you put in to respond.

FBWFTW

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:30 pm

TWA757 wrote:
FBWFTW wrote:

Thanks so much -- this is super helpful! I think I'm sold on flying HA! Really appreciate all the time you put in to respond.

Hey man it's no sweat-anything for a fellow avgeek! If I was flying economy this time I'd def be going HA! Can't stress how convenient that JetBlue to HA connection is. Hop to JFK, walk across and get on the A332 to Hawaii!
HA51/50 is the best Y/Y+ experience to Hawaii from the east coast!
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL

FBWFTW

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:33 pm

n901wa wrote:
Hi TWA757. I would go BOS to ATL or SLC or LAX and pick up a A330-300 or 767ER to HNL on Delta or Delta to JFK, and then on Hawaiian A330-200 to HNL.
I would recommend Oahu for your first Visit. For 1 week some of the other Islands get a little slow. At least on Oahu, you could go to the Arizona Memorial, the USS Missouri, Pacific aviation Museum , The Air Museum at Barbers Point, The Army Museum at Fort Derussy, Punchbowl, swim at Hanauma Bay, Go out to the North shore, and get some shave ice at Matsumoto's, Hike up Diamond Head, Visit the Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Hawaii Plantation Museum, Ghost tours. Forgot the Polynesian Cultural Center. etc... Also Oahu has the best beaches ( Not because I'm from there :) well maybe :) ) But some of the other Islands have more Rocky Beaches.
If you do go to Oahu, I like to stay at the Ala Moana Hotel. ( or with my Family, but that might be Hard :) ) Its right across the street from Ala Moana Park, and Beach. I would wake up early walk across the street and go for a swim and its attached to Ala Moana Mall. Just enough away from Waki Waki (Waikiki).
Hope this can help.

Hey-how was the ghost tour?? I'm looking at doing it this year!
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL

FBWFTW

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:35 pm

DaveFly wrote:
Great comments above. I am also visiting for the fourth time (within four years) very soon. I always go to Hawaii with at least one of my children. I've been to the four major islands. Each one spectacular in its own way. Oahu has some major tourist/historical attractions. Maui has the beautiful beaches, the road to Hana, Haleakala. The Big Island has Mauna Kea, the volcanoes, the northern cattle region. Kauai has so many outdoor activities like ATVs, catamarans, helicopter tours, hiking, horseback riding. I really can't pick a favorite, they're all great. Since I live in New York, I just take the HA nonstop from JFK. It's a great airline, with meals, good service. Then I hop one of the HA 717s in HNL to the other islands. Stress-free.

You wouldn't happen to have your HA51/50 takeoff and landing videos up on YouTube would you?
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL

dfwjim1

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I wished I lived in the upper east coast so that I could take this flight to Hawaii! A 10 hour flight (westbound), three or four flight crew members and passing through 5 to 6 time zones would give HA's flight the feel of a long distance international flight.

DaveFly

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:34 am

You wouldn't happen to have your HA51/50 takeoff and landing videos up on YouTube would you?

Yes, in fact I do!
CRJ,E135/45/190,

FBWFTW

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:23 am

DaveFly wrote:

Yes, in fact I do!

Thought that was you.... We've talked on YouTube before!
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL

DaveFly

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:45 pm

"Thought that was you.... We've talked on YouTube before!"

That's great! Then we should talk more on email regarding aviation and Hawaii!
CRJ,E135/45/190,

Aptivaboy

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:08 pm

If you're only going to have a week, I'd recommend just staying on one island, not visiting several. I'm a Maui fan. It's small enough that if you stay in a centrally located place like Kihei, nothing is too far away, but large enough to offer plenty of adventures.

If you do stay in Maui, try to rent a condo. The local Costco is right outside the airport. Stock up on food there right after picking up your rental car instead of going the restaurant route every meal. Hawaii is pricy, and this will really help to stretch your dollar. Try to avoid the big resorts. They're expensive and aren't really "old Hawaii." Personally, I'm an up-country guy. I love Makawao and Kula, and the Kula Farmer's Market is outstanding. Doing things like this is really outstandingly fun and can give you more of a taste for local cultures and flavors.

Bob