Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCy
Topic Author

Which alliance has the best quality carriers?

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Having recently traveled with AA transatlantic, I couldn't help but feel as though the whole experience was undervaluing OneWorld alliance. From check in, to in flight services and to any customer service I had experienced whilst using AA. It was my first time using them and despite being a member of BA's mileage programme, I think next time i cross the Atlantic I will prefer VS\DL.

But this got me thinking, which of the 3 alliances is the best regarding having members that offer the best services?

usflyer123

Re: Which alliance has the best quality carriers?

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 pm

every alliance has its better and worse airlines but overall i think the best one is Star Alliance.
Skyteam i think is the worse of the three...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:44 am

Alliances, depends on routes where the quality is an input.

South America I think One World is doing fine with Latam; In the USA too, with AA; But in Europe, with IB/BA, I doubt it. In Asia, with CX, they are top notch.

Same South America, at least where I live, Bolivia, One World does a better work than others; *Alliance only here with Copa and that is just not enough; Skyteam with AR and UX is doing better.

So the answer to your question is basically based on where you are, what is better.

RohanDXB

Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 pm

If I had to look at the 'good' (airlines I would consider flying) and 'bad' (no-fly) from each one, this is what I get

Star
Good (I would fly) - SQ, NZ, NH, LH, TK, OZ, ET, SA, LX, BR, TG
Bad (no-fly) - CA, AI, MS, ZH, TP, UA

Skyteam
Good (I would fly) - DL, GA, KL, KE, SV, VN
Bad (no-fly) - SU, UX, AF, AZ, MU, CZ, ME, MF

OneWorld
Good (I would fly) - AA, BA, CX, AY, JL, LA, QF, QR, SL
Bad (no-fly) - AB, IB, S7

In the above, whatever I have omitted, I am indifferent to. Prefer to avoid but will fly if no better option (price / location-wise).

Based on that, it seems that the ratio of good to bad airlines is the worst for Skyteam - I think that has to do with having three mainland Chinese airlines as opposed to two in Star and none in OneWorld. OW seems to have a rather attractive portfolio of airlines (CX, QR, QF, BA) given that it is almost half the size of Star. Star though, does have a large number of airlines which I'd be more than happy to fly. SQ, NH, BR, ET - would fly them all gladly. Now I just need to find the opportunity for a good status match option from OW so that I can actually fly them.

Disclaimer: Judging for the above list is purely subjective but was mainly based around adherence to a minimum standard of service, diversity of network and condition / age of aircraft. Also, living in DXB/ RUH, a majority of my travel is on the ME3 so I haven't tried much. Mostly based on trip reports and comments from members whose opinion I respect.
SV was chosen purely because sometimes it's the only viable option to fly RUH-DXB.

Ro

RL777

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:36 am

Each alliance has it's strong members and its weaker counterparts, but I think its a tossup between Star/OW with Skyteam lagging a bit behind.

n729pa

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Interesting that you'd had a bad time with AA, I've heard stories from friends very much praising them and against them too. I haven't flown to the US for a few years, and I often wonder who I would go on for much the same reason you mention.

Ultimately it depends on where you're going/how much you want to pay and whether you are using it to collect points or not.

If you're so inclined to, have a look at what LH or LX are offering for example, depends if you want to add a few hours to your trip or not. Don't forget you have SQ operating a couple of transatlantic route (new one from MAN coming). NZ is another good option if heading to LAX area.

Some people don't like IB for example, but I've flown them four times and they were OK, nothing special but had worse. Would I fly them long haul? Probably not. Would I fly them LHR-MAD-LHR, probably would. Flown AF four times, 2 really good flights, one OK and one lousy one. EK three flights, 2 poor ones and 1 OK ....not in a hurry to try them again.

But these kind of things are always a based on personal preferences and expectations etc., and I'm sure you can have a bad flight on VS or DL, and even SQ for example from time to time as well. It's just certain carriers you know you have a greater percentage of having a good or a bad flight depending on who they are.

quic330

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:32 am

n729pa wrote:
Some people don't like IB for example, but I've flown them four times and they were OK, nothing special but had worse. Would I fly them long haul? Probably not. Would I fly them LHR-MAD-LHR, probably would.

I am quite a frequent IB flyer. In long-haul they've improve A LOT (better service, a modern IFE), though in their european service they are no better than most LLCs.
2018: AMS - BOS - BRU - CDG - EWR - FRA - GRU - HEL - HKG - LAX - LCY - LIS - MAD - MCO - MIA - MUC - MVD - ORD - OVD - PTY - PVG - RDU - SAN - SCQ - SFO - VCE - VNO - YYZ - ZRH

J343

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Personally, I think oneworld has so,e of the best quality airlines in the world. You have CX, JL, QF, MH in Asia, QR in the Middle East, AA in N.America, BA in Europe and LATAM in S.America. Some oneworld members are awarded consistently in Skytrax QF (Best in Australia, JL best economy class seat design, CX- 4 time airline of the year award winner with some of the best lounges in the world along with Qantas), MH having won best cabin staff numerous times, QR consistenly receiving best business class. BA is slightly dropping down the list, I remember BA once winning airline of the year and best transatlantic airline. IB is severely underrated, thought their Europe economy and business class is close to being a low cost carrier service. AB which has mediocre product. AY is slightly catching up, RJ is another underrated airline. UL I find to have a more superior cabin service compared to Air India.

Star Alliance has some pretty good one too with SQ, NH, BR and OZ leading the lead in their alliance. Lufthansa Group, Turkish Airlines and Air New Zealand following up.

Skyteam is the worse of the 3 with the exception of Garuda, Korean and Air France.