sreichenberger
Topic Author

Traveling with a One Month Baby

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:49 pm

Greetings,

My wife is expecting our first kid in the beginning of November this year.

We were also invited to a family member's wedding, which will occur on December 16th (roughly about one month after the baby is born). I have heard a lot about how babies feel ear pain due to the difference in altitude pressure.

The flight will be a very short one, from Miami to Nassau (Bahamas), but I am wondering which should be safer for our baby:

1. Flying on an airline. Jet will fly at higher altitude, but is equipped with cabin pressurizer, and flight should only take about 30 minutes.

2. Flying there myself on a single engine. I can try to fly low (3,500 ft). Flight time will be longer.

Please, any insight or tips would greatly help me to resolve this dilemma.

Thanks in advance!

tb727

Re: Traveling with a One Month Baby

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:21 pm

A single engine airplane over water versus an airliner? Come on now, you know the airliner is the safer way to go. Ask your doctor about some techniques to alleviate any ear pain your baby may be going through or if it's even a good idea to travel at that point.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

VNA863

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Why take the risk? If I were you, I would not travel at all. I would explain my situation to them, I am sure they will understand.

fallap

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:49 pm

No possibility of taking a boat?
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

flipdewaf

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Get on the big plane > baby cries when it takes off > stick baby on boob, alleviates pressure difference and is nice and comforting and at one month old will probably still be on there 30mins later when on the way back down.

Get on small plane, everything is noisy, baby cries, stick it on the boob, its still noisy, baby still cries 2 hrs later. You land with a screech and you have fallen out with your wife, the baby is cranky because it took 2 hrs, you miss the wedding because the baby wont stop crying because it now has tinnitus and you spent several hundred more dollars to fly there. Everyone is grumpy and you achieve very little.

Safety? I don't care how good you think you are as a pilot, a bug smasher over the sea for a few hours very much wants to to be a fish smasher. Over water for that long 3500ft may as well be 500ft, you aren't gliding anywhere.

I think the boat idea is good, you have time to move at the baby's pace and allow him/her to keep their routine and its not dictated by the airline schedule. no altitude worries and even if its a bit rough you might be sick but the little one will probably just be more likely to sleep.

My Order of preference would be
1. Boat
2. Airline
3. Jetski
4. Pedalo
5. Single engine prop

Fred

LHRBFSTrident

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:46 am

all infants are different, but we just had a similar situation with our newborn who needed to get from provincial Mexico to Mexico City at 16 days old in order to obtain her US passport.

She was quite small in body mass - 6lbs - and coped admirably - ascent was no problem and we had a bottle prepped for descent.

Then again at 4 weeks she flew MEX-LAX and similarly was the perfect offspring on an a.netter.

You'll be getting a lot of opinions and advice as new parents ;) so here's mine: relax, use common sense and prepare well! So many people will try to spook you about hygiene and traveling with a newborn (somebody told us our baby will die if we took her on a commercial flight :evil: ) and it's not the cabin air that's dirty so much as the prying, poking fingers of the other pax :!:

DocLightning

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 am

As a pediatrician, here is my advice:
1) Don't go. Your baby won't have had any shots then other than the birth Hep B and a closed airplane is a fantastic place for the baby to catch pertussis. Do you know how 1mo babies sometimes present with pertussis? Sometimes, there's no cough or maybe some mild cold symptoms and then the baby just...stops breathing. I generally don't recommend air travel until the second round at 4mo in the U.S.

2) If you must go, feed the infant on ascent and descent. It should help relieve the pressure. Do NOT take your infant overwater in a single-engine aircraft. A bit of ear pain is much better than dying.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

desertjets

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

DocLightning wrote:
As a pediatrician, here is my advice:
1) Don't go. Your baby won't have had any shots then other than the birth Hep B and a closed airplane is a fantastic place for the baby to catch pertussis. Do you know how 1mo babies sometimes present with pertussis? Sometimes, there's no cough or maybe some mild cold symptoms and then the baby just...stops breathing. I generally don't recommend air travel until the second round at 4mo in the U.S.

As a parent I'll second the good doctor's advice. At one month out I wouldn't be making plans to travel anywhere or attend any major drawn out social event. Our baby was remarkably easy and consistent with his routine at 4 weeks but we weren't certainly ready to spend a ton of time outside of the home or traveling or being social -- I think at that point the only trips out of the house where to the pediatrician and the store. There is so much uncertainty at that point -- do you plan to breast or bottle feed (what happens if breastfeeding is a struggle at that point).

Oh did I mention the sleep deprivation? That would make your second idea even more dangerous. The lack of sleep is very real and hits you like a ton of bricks. When I returned to work after 5 weeks at home it was a struggle to be functional -- anything that required me to think on my feet was hard. It was bad and I only have an office job. You shouldn't even thinking about flying yourself until you are able to consistently sleep through the night.

Of course your mileage may vary, labor and delivery, post partum and those first few weeks home are different for parents and baby. But I wouldn't plan a trip like that at 4 weeks -- I would be more worried about making sure you and the wife get to shower more than once or twice a week.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia