sccutler
Topic Author

AAdvantage Gold - What are the benefits?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:46 am

So for the first time, despite my best efforts to evade flying commercial, I have amassed sufficient miles at the right times and in the right ways to be declared, "AAdvantage Gold."

So, I have looked at the chart of benefits, and it looks like I get some boonies - but for those of you who are in the know, skilled AAdvantage mavens, what are the best advantages I gain from Gold status, and if there are any tips and tricks you can advise for better using the Gold status, please dish. I am getting old and curmudgeonly, so any help you all can offer will be cherished!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

catdaddy63

Re: AAdvantage Gold - What are the benefits?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:08 am

I'm AAdvantage Gold and have already covered the segment requirement for next year as well, heading for first time Platinum. The only real perk I can use is access to MCE seats at check in, and "preferred" seats are free at time of booking. Upgrades are a joke unless you're Platinum or optimally EP. One free checked bag, You board at the tail end of Priority Access ahead of group one so overhead bins are usually available. A few more award miles versus a non elite. I've used the Gold help desk for rebooks and they are quite awesome! Not quite the big deal really but an improvement over non elite.

braniff2hav

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:08 am

I do appreciate the program because miraculously I still get upgrades, a free bag checked and access to some elite seating ... however the mileage earn rate for everyone is crap now it seems.

Cubsrule

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:16 am

Upgrades as a gold (and it's really not much different for platinum) really depend on where you go and when. TLH-CLT on a Tuesday morning? You have a pretty good shot. DFW-LAX on a Friday afternoon? No way.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

9w748capt

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Obviously the more you fly (and fly AA), the more GLD status will be of benefit to you. This question is asked every day on flyertalk so you might get a lot more info there too. Personally I value AA status immensely no longer for the upgrades (which are impossible these days with AA monetizing the F cabin) but for MCE, free bags, ability to same-day-standby for free, and better IRROPs handling. I will say that PLT is significantly better than GLD so if you have more flying planned or are close to hitting PLT, may be worth it for you.

sccutler
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:02 pm

I rather suspect Platinum is a stretch, as my commercial flying has traditionally been limited to the in-state stuff I must do when weather or logistics make either flying my own plane, or driving, impractical, and Southwest is usually the answer to that question.

That said, of course, a little status has had the desired effect, I think, as I look at AA a lot more favorably now... the bell has rung, and I am drooling a bit!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

global2

Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:43 pm

I generally agree with all the above comments. You may also check in at the First/Business class desks even if you're in coach, though these days the kiosks can be even faster. You also can go in the priority line at security which saves some time. Yes, the days of easy upgrades are over (though I have pretty good luck if I'm willing to spend some miles and pay the "co-pay"), but there are still enough of the little perks that make it worth it. It's nice to never be relegated to "Group 6"!!!