Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheFlyingDisk

Re: What if a jewish person flew JFK-MXP on EK?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:19 pm

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Out of curiosity, whats the purpose of theArab League boycott of Israel, if their carriers notably the scavanger ME3 are facilitating its citizens on its passport.

Simply the hatred of Jews and refusal to recognize the Jewish State.

Funny how when the Arab League boycotts Israel it's simply because they hate Jews but when the West sanctions Iran, Iraq etc it's a political move.

In any case the Zionists are just as guilty as the Arabs in this conflict. Let's not forget that the current ruling party, Likud is a progeny of Irgun, a paramilitary organization which was declared a terrorist organization by the United Nation during the early years of Israel's founding, so let's not make the Zionist government as victims here. Normal Israeli folks, yes but their government, not really.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

CanadaFair

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:13 pm

coolian2 wrote:
My Maori (and very brown compared to me) girlfriend wants to visit New York. She's obsessed about the city.

I'm currently very scared of doing it. I still can't guess the best entry point. If we have to go the "wrong" way from Auckland and go straight to JFK from DXB, so be it.

I just don't want the nicest human being on earth being treated worse than me (I'm a dick) on skin colour alone.

Nothing to do with the thread, just wanted it off my chest.

She wont have any issues, EK is flourishng in the subcontinent those people are mostly dark skinned, millions working in Dubai and employed by EK, they also have black employees and crew from Africa and elsewhere.

There are also black Arabs who come from Africa and have settled in the ME since forever literally.

NichCage

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:18 pm

coolian2 wrote:
My Maori (and very brown compared to me) girlfriend wants to visit New York. She's obsessed about the city.

I'm currently very scared of doing it. I still can't guess the best entry point. If we have to go the "wrong" way from Auckland and go straight to JFK from DXB, so be it.

I just don't want the nicest human being on earth being treated worse than me (I'm a dick) on skin colour alone.

You don't have to fly AKL-DXB-JFK. There are other options to get to New York City. I did a random flight search on Google and found:

American Airlines: AKL-LAX-JFK
Air New Zealand & American Airlines: AKL-SFO-JFK
Air New Zealand and Delta Air Lines: AKL-LAX-JFK
United Airlines and American Airlines: AKL-SFO-JFK
Hawaiian Airlines: AKL-HNL-JFK

These are some examples of routes you can take to New York, with connecting flights in the United States.

YYZSpotter1991

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:53 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
Additionally, antizionism=antisemitism.

Utter bollocks. Go read a dictionary and learn the HUGE difference politics and religion.

I suggest you do so. Zionism, as coined by Theodor Herzl in the late-1800s is the desire and demand for a return to the Jewish homeland, namely the sliver of land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea which is the Jewish State of Israel. This land is the territory of the Torah and thus denying Zionism is denying the purpose of Jews, hence antisemitism.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

YYZSpotter1991

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Out of curiosity, whats the purpose of theArab League boycott of Israel, if their carriers notably the scavanger ME3 are facilitating its citizens on its passport.

Funny how when the Arab League boycotts Israel it's simply because they hate Jews but when the West sanctions Iran, Iraq etc it's a political move.

In any case the Zionists are just as guilty as the Arabs in this conflict. Let's not forget that the current ruling party, Likud is a progeny of Irgun, a paramilitary organization which was declared a terrorist organization by the United Nation during the early years of Israel's founding, so let's not make the Zionist government as victims here. Normal Israeli folks, yes but their government, not really.

The Irgun was one of the forces resisting the British, who sought to prevent us from forming a state. As heavy-handed as the Irgun and Lehi were, they managed to fully repel the British and force them to leave the area to our domain.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

StTim

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:12 pm

In other words they were terrorists. Criticizing the state of Israel may be anti Zionism but is not Antisemitism unless it is an attack purely on the basis of religion.

Antisemitism must be opposed. Holding any state (including Israel) to account - should be encouraged.

Do not confuse the two.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 pm

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
YYZSpotter1991 wrote:

The Irgun was one of the forces resisting the British, who sought to prevent us from forming a state. As heavy-handed as the Irgun and Lehi were, they managed to fully repel the British and force them to leave the area to our domain.

Then one can argue that Hamas is simply a force resisting the Israelis who sought to prevent the forming of a Palestinian state. The only difference is that Irgun's foe was a weakening empire that was losing its grip on its far flung lands at an alarming rate after WW2, whereas Hamas's foe is a strong regime propped up by a world superpower. And if you argue that Irgun never inflicted harm on civilians, let me remind you of the Deir Yassin massacre & the King David Hotel bombing.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

HGL

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:38 am

NichCage wrote:
You don't have to fly AKL-DXB-JFK. There are other options to get to New York City.

I read coolian's post as meaning that he wanted to avoid a transfer in LAX or SFO due to past reports of how unpleasant it can be.

Entry with a connection in the US involves clearing immigration and formalities at LAX or SFO on arrival in the United States, before connecting with the onward flight to JFK. In comparison, DXB would be easier as you remain air side the whole time, despite additional security checks pre-boarding.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

HGL

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:54 am

YYZSpotter1991 wrote:
Zionism ... is the desire and demand for a return to the Jewish homeland, namely the sliver of land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea which is the Jewish State of Israel. This land is the territory of the Torah and thus denying Zionism is denying the purpose of Jews, hence antisemitism.

So basically you are saying Zionism = anti-Arabism or more specifically = anti-Palestinism.

Oddly, your potted history of Herzl ignores the fact that prior to the Second World War the majority of Jews were opposed to political Zionism. Even after the Second World War, most Jews who wished to escape from Europe preferred to migrate to countries like the US, those in South America and even Australia. Immigration restrictions in those countries meant that many chose to migrate to Israel after the unilateral declaration of independence, particularly as some countries now adopted the attitude that Jews were no longer refugees as they had a home of their own. Today, some extreme Zionists coin a word to describe those Jews who are critical of Israeli policies - "self-hating Jews."

So perhaps we can expand our definition provided above from Zionism = anti-Palestinism to = anti-Semitism or Political Zionists = Jews who hate other Jews who have the temerity to think differently.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

coolian2

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:16 am

NichCage wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

You don't have to fly AKL-DXB-JFK. There are other options to get to New York City. I did a random flight search on Google and found:

American Airlines: AKL-LAX-JFK
Air New Zealand & American Airlines: AKL-SFO-JFK
Air New Zealand and Delta Air Lines: AKL-LAX-JFK
United Airlines and American Airlines: AKL-SFO-JFK
Hawaiian Airlines: AKL-HNL-JFK

These are some examples of routes you can take to New York, with connecting flights in the United States.

Unless I'm up front, there is no way I'm going to LAX. If LAX is the choice I'd sooner paddle a surfboard to California.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

coolian2

Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:27 am

HGL wrote:
NichCage wrote:
You don't have to fly AKL-DXB-JFK. There are other options to get to New York City.

I read coolian's post as meaning that he wanted to avoid a transfer in LAX or SFO due to past reports of how unpleasant it can be.

Entry with a connection in the US involves clearing immigration and formalities at LAX or SFO on arrival in the United States, before connecting with the onward flight to JFK. In comparison, DXB would be easier as you remain air side the whole time, despite additional security checks pre-boarding.

Got it in one. Mind I haven't heard bad things about HNL....yet. Even though I got barged up in line or I was going to miss my connection, DFW was more pleasant, although those 100 mile stairs got me to have a vertigo moment and nearly stack it.

Everyone else would have found it hilarious and if it happened to someone else I'd laugh too.

DaveFly

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:27 pm

coolian2 wrote:

You can't be serious! As a lifelong New Yorker, I can't think of any city that has more of a melting pot of immigrants. There are newspapers that are printer in over 70 languages. As a person of color, you have nothing to worry about. Except high prices.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

DaveFly

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Very curious thread here. I think it's possible to be frustrated with some of the current Israeli Administration's policies, and not harbor any hatred of Jews. That's logical.

But let's face reality - many antisemites do use the cover of Israel or Zionism to hide their true feelings about Jews. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

I'm still not sure what this has to do with transferring planes in Dubai.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

coolian2

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:23 am

DaveFly wrote:
coolian2 wrote:

You can't be serious! As a lifelong New Yorker, I can't think of any city that has more of a melting pot of immigrants. There are newspapers that are printer in over 70 languages. As a person of color, you have nothing to worry about. Except high prices.

It's not New York City that is my concern. If we enter the US in a place like JFK, I'm not worried.

It's places that I'm not so sure I can trust, like LAX - I was all very welcome until they saw my ID was a New Zealand passport, not a US Driver's License. Mind, in my sleep-addled state I shouldn't have taken the piss out of the TSA agent who pulled me out of the boarding queue because of the ID I was using. I forgot Americans often struggle with sarcasm, and TSA really really struggles with sarcasm.

usflyer123

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Israeli friend of mine told me that EK/QR/EY make a good profit off Israeli pax, mostly to asia and australia. i cant remember the exact number but about 60,000 israelis fly every year with the ME3. also israeli airline Arkia and QR have an agreement in which Arkia flies to AMM/LCA and QR than flies pax onwards. BTW jewish pax usually have no problem flying to muslim countries, remind you Iran has 10,000 jews!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...