b777a340fan
Topic Author

Traveling with Mixed Cabin Itinerary

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:11 am

I am flying OKA-NRT-EWR. The first leg is operated by ANA and I'll be flying economy. The second leg is operated by UAL and I'll be flying business.

I have never traveled like this, so I'm wondering if I will be able to check-in at the priority/business class desk, get to board early, and/or get lounge access.

It is a bit embarassing to get turned away.

gabrielchew

Re: Traveling with Mixed Cabin Itinerary

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:09 pm

It depends on if you have a single ticket, or two tickets. I would suggest going up to the NH J desk in OKA and explaining that you're connecting to J class, "Can I check in here?". I would be surprised if they turn you away.

Priority boarding....no, unless you have status or otherwise qualify. It's a fairly moot point on Japanese domestic flights anyway as people are normally so quick and ordered boarding.

Lounge, i'm not sure. Again, having 1 or 2 tickets might make a difference. If you can print the UA boarding pass, that might help you access the lounge in OKA. It's not particularly amazing, so don't panic if you can't get in. Soft drinks, beer and peanuts on offer.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:14 pm

gabrielchew wrote:
It depends on if you have a single ticket, or two tickets.

It's all on one ticket. For whatever reason, United's website only had mixed cabins when redeeming my miles. It is what it is.

aklrno

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:37 am

Yu should have no problem with lounge access. Also be sure you get a priority baggage tag at checkin. I do this kind of thing from time to time on United, often on two tickets.

csturdiv

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:56 pm

In January I flew AA MIA-LAX-SYD. My MIA-LAX leg was in the Main Cabin Extra seats and my LAX-SYD leg was in business. At MIA I checked in at economy and they told me that I should've gone to the dedicated business/first class lane due to the LAX-SYD leg. They checked me in though, tagged my bags with the priority tags and set me on my way. I did not think about trying to access the lounge as I got distracted by an Irish pub in the terminal that had a great selection of craft beer.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD