Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Alexdk
Topic Author

Country with largest foreign narrowbodies presence.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Which countries see the largest number of foreign airlines flying narrowbody planes into it?

Channex757

Re: Country with largest foreign narrowbodies presence.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I would not be surprised if it is either Germany or France. Both Ryanair and Easyjet are foreign carriers and most national carriers from Europe and surrounding nations fly narrowbodies into the cities.

The FR and U2 presence is probably what tips it. Air Berlin, Wizzair and Norwegian add to the numbers.

YZF101

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Off the top of my head, with really no specific data to back it up, I'd go for Singapore, Thailand, Great Britain. Only because of the prevalance of Asian LCC or ULCC, and Great Britain because of it's proximity to the Continent and to Ryanair.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Depends on whether we're considering the EU to be a single aviation territory or not.

If it is, then the "winner" is probably the USA or Canada.
If it isn't, then it's likely to be an EU country with a large Ryanair/EasyJet presence-- I'd guess France.

Dutchy

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Channex757 wrote:
I would not be surprised if it is either Germany or France. Both Ryanair and Easyjet are foreign carriers and most national carriers from Europe and surrounding nations fly narrowbodies into the cities.

The FR and U2 presence is probably what tips it. Air Berlin, Wizzair and Norwegian add to the numbers.

What about Spain? All those low cost flying to the sun?

qf002

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Channex757 wrote:

The OP is asking about the number of carriers not the total number of aircraft.
Last edited by qf002 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexdk
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:37 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Depends on whether we're considering the EU to be a single aviation territory or not.

If it is, then the "winner" is probably the USA or Canada.
If it isn't, then it's likely to be an EU country with a large Ryanair/EasyJet presence-- I'd guess France.

I mean the number of airlines and not the number of passengers carried by them. Ryanair and easyJet are just 2.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Alexdk wrote:
I mean the number of airlines and not the number of passengers carried by them. Ryanair and easyJet are just 2.

Still likely the USA, mostly due to MIA/FLL.... just about every airline with narrowbodies in the Americas, flies them there. Even some from deep-South America.

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Alexdk wrote:

Still likely the USA, mostly due to MIA/FLL.... just about every airline with narrowbodies in the Americas, flies them there. Even some from deep-South America.

I doubt that. It's true they handle a lot of foreign narrow-body aircraft, but so do a lot of other countries and in a big country like the USA domestic flights take up a large part of the capacity.

I think it'll be somewhere in Europe, those European countries are all connected to each other by several airlines and they all use narrow-body aircraft for those flights. Just about every European airline flies to just about every country in Europe. Personally I think it's Spain because it's a popular holiday destination and a lot of holiday airlines from all over Europe fly narrow-body aircraft into all of those holiday airports. On top of that every legacy carrier in Europe has it's flights to MAD and BCN and maybe some other airports and even some airlines from northern Africa fly their narrow-body aircraft into Spain.

Channex757

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:56 pm

My first comment still stands. For variety, it has to be one of the big two countries in Europe as every other country in the region will have some kind of service into them.

My personal guess would be Germany.

Newbiepilot

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:07 pm

I think the airport with the most number of airlines present is Bangkok Thailand. Since most are foreign and most are narrowbodies, Thailand is probably a good guess. Hong Kong is close. There are a few airports with about 70 airlines present like Bangkok, Hong Kong and Paris.

ualcsr

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 pm

How about PTY? Copa's entire fleet is narrow body

rutankrd

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Its rather vague question basing it on country !

Its an airport thing isn't it .

Palma alone has more than seventy ! none Spanish carriers using aircraft from little Beech 1900 up to the B757 and almost ail in service narrow bodies in between.

No US airport comes anywhere close to that .

Other competitors include Malaga , Barcelona and Tenerife.

duboka

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:39 pm

I guess it's Germany... Nearly all of the larger lcc's are flying there. Nearly every smaller east European carrier has a flight to Germany. France and GB is in my opinion no so common for them. And to London most middle distance flights are flown with wide bodies. For Paris I guess the same. Germany doesn't has this huge center. So I gues there are more narrow body flights. Even all of the US carriers are having a b757 flight Hamburg or Stuttgart... And there is even a flight form Mongolia to Berlin in a B737-800!

afterburner

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:50 pm

ualcsr wrote:
How about PTY? Copa's entire fleet is narrow body

OP asks for foreign airlines.

MaxTrimm

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:02 am

How about Iceland? Besides some WOW and FI 767's/A330's it's all narrowbodies

vv701

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 am

LAX772LR wrote:

Getting statistics covering all foreign airlines for all airports in a single country is difficult. So what data is available?

The Airport Coordination Ltd web site says that as at the start of the current Summer Season the Irish airline, FR, was scheduled to operate 74,485 Air Transport Movement out of a single British airport, STN. It also reports that FR planned to offer 14,077,665 passenger seats to and from STN in the current season.

To fulfil their STN operation Wikipedia reports that the Irish airline bases 43 737s at STN. However I am guessing that some FR flights at STN are operated by aircraft based elsewhere in their net work including their home base, DUB.

I have no idea how many ATMs FR operate from other British airports but it must be another very substantial number.

SRQKEF

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:53 am

[*]
MaxTrimm wrote:
How about Iceland? Besides some WOW and FI 767's/A330's it's all narrowbodies

While there have been many airlines adding flights here in recent years, KEF is nowhere close to some other countries out there.

Remember, the OP is asking about the number of foreign airlines operating narrowbodies into the country, irrespective of the number of flights those airlines operate or number of narrowbodies the local airline has.

Regards!
Sveinn

Joelatbsl

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 pm

My raw guess would be Turkey, for the reason that Antalya at least up until recently used to be insanely busy with holiday charters from literally all over Europe and every ever so small charter airline would have tried to milk that business somehow. Also, they get their fair share of visitors from further east (Central Asia etc.), including airlines that would not fly further west than Istanbul ...