Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaRoFu
Topic Author

EWR vs JFK vs LGA

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm

What is your preferred airport of choice when flying in and out of the New York Metro Area? As I live in New Jersey, mine is of course EWR. I would like to know which airport you prefer, whether you are going on a vacation to New York, or if you are flying out of NYC to somewhere else.

EWR
+ Convenient for travelers in New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, Staten Island, and Western Manhattan
+ Plenty of International and Domestic Destinations alike
+ Train Access to Midtown via NJ Transit, and Downtown when the PATH Extension is opened
+ Good Navigation

- Inconvenient for travelers in Eastern Manhattan and Long Island.
- Located around potentially dangerous area
- Potential Congestion
- Low AirTrain reliability and capacity, requires constant maintenance

JFK
+ Loads of international destinations
+ Access to the airport via Long Island Railroad, as well as multiple subway lines
+ More NYC Taxis
+ Convenient for travelers in Eastern Manhattan and Long Island.

- Complexity
- No airside link between terminals (with the exception of Terminals 2 & 4)
- Inconvenient for travelers in New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Staten Island
- Potential Congestion

LGA
+ Loads of domestic destinations
+ Hub for American and Delta
+ Convenient for travelers in North Queens
+ More NYC Taxis

- No Train Access
- Overcrowded aging facilities
- Inconvenient for travelers west of the Hudson
- Very Few International Destinations

That's my rundown of the three airports. Which one do you prefer?
Airports I have been to:
DFW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LAS, LGA, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, PHL, PHX, SEA, SLC, YTZ, YYZ

DaveFly

Re: EWR vs JFK vs LGA

Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:35 am

Well, you kind of answered your question already! Good points in your comment.

Since I live in the Hudson Valley (originally from NYC), my favorite airports are SWF (very limited service), HPN (usually requires a hub transfer). My next choice is EWR - plenty of direct destinations, several highway options to reach the airport, no bridges to cross. I've heard about Newark's congestion, but I rarely experience it.

LGA is currently under reconstruction and is an absolute mess. I avoid it at all costs.

JFK is really a hike. For me, it means crossing two bridges, then the Van Wyck Expressway, which is always tied up. I've done public transit, which is reliable but takes hours. If I drive, I might as well have a nervous breakdown. If I take a town car, it's $200 each way.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

Yflyer

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:37 pm

I typically fly into JFK when I visit NYC. The main reasons are:
  • I can fly there nonstop from SMF on JetBlue. Obviously I'm well beyond the parameter for LGA.
  • Easy to get to/from both Manhattan and Brooklyn on the Long Island Railroad
  • Most convenient airport to my sister's apartment in Brooklyn.

deltaguy767

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Interesting topic, since I live on the East side of Manhattan, not too far from the Midtown Tunnel, I generally prefer LGA and JFK over EWR. Since most of my travel is on the corporate dime, I mostly use Uber or a Taxi to get to the airport. As the subways are not luggage friendly, I usually pony up and go the Uber/Taxi route for pleasure trips as well. As a DL Elite my preference is LGA but have no objections to JFK if convenience or fares dictate.

If I lived on the West Side or closer to Penn Station, and was not a DL elite I would probably leverage EWR given the mass transit options.
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

jetblueguy22

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:39 am

From the Connecticut side, would have to be LGA, JFK, and EWR a very, very distant third.

LGA just because of the convenience. It's closer and not that hard to get to. The construction really sucks though, drives me nuts. JFK is nice and probably easier to get to than LGA, but I find the schedules don't work out as well for my travel.

EWR takes an absolute dirt cheap fair for me to go. Between traffic and just the drive, it isn't worth it for me.

Honestly though I think HPN is fantastic. So easy to get in and out. I just wish there were more flights. Would never go into the city ever again.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jeffh747

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:47 pm

As a Southern New Jerseyan, I find myself often flying into or out of EWR and JFK, as the fares out of PHL can be expensive at times. I prefer the convenience of EWR, taking the turnpike straight up, but occasionally I'll fly out of JFK if I want to fly some exotic plane. I wouldn't even touch LGA with a yard stick with all that congestion and construction going on.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

OA260

Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:04 pm

I have to say I prefer EWR. I usually stop off at Jersey Gardens for a day before flying back across the pond so very handy.

novak500

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 pm

As a leisure traveler from YYZ, I'm 50/50 on EWR or LGA. Both have good access to mid-town Manhattan via NJ Transit or a cab from LGA.

spacecadet

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:52 am

I fly from/to JFK, mostly because I live very near it on Long Island.

It's probably not the best airport in the world by any objective standard, but as a total package, I like it. It's obviously convenient for me - about 10 minutes from my front door. (LGA *was* almost as convenient, before the Van Wyck and then LGA construction got underway.) It's really easy to drive to also. Its terminals are not generally too crowded and are mostly of a manageable size - you can be curbside to gate in 5-10 minutes. The exception is Delta's terminal 4/terminal 2 mess, where sometimes they tell you to check in at one terminal and fly out of another.

Funnily enough I have actually picked up my wife at JFK on her way home from work when something goes wrong with the LIRR (as happens pretty frequently) - the AirTrain makes that easier than picking her up at Jamaica Station. I really don't mind going to JFK for really any reason. I'll pick up anybody I know there any time; it's not a big deal at all.

And JFK has basically any flight I'd want to take. Haven't found a route yet that I need that isn't served, usually multiple times per day.

I go there often enough that it feels like home to me. I know the airport, most of its terminals and even its roads (including the local ones) pretty intimately at this point. I'd probably feel comfortable and even protective of basically any airport that I was this physically close to and that I used so much, but that happens to be JFK for me right now, so JFK is my answer here.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!