Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikesbucky
Topic Author

What happens to the removed person after they are removed from a flight?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 pm

The multiple threads about people being removed from flights left me wondering what happens to them after they are removed? Are they left stranded with their air fare forfeited? Are they placed on the next available flight for the airline that just had them removed? Are they interlined to another carrier? Something else?

This isn't meant to discuss the merits of why the person was removed. Just what happens after that takes place.

jetmatt777

Re: What happens to the removed person after they are removed from a flight?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:44 pm

I think it depends on why the person was removed. If they made a physical threat and caused a scene, it's likely they will have their trip canceled and once they are out of the county jail they can figure out how to travel on their own dime.

If they were drunk but not causing a scene, they could perhaps be rebooked on a later flight after sobering up and collecting themselves.

flymco753

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I just learned about this in my Regulations class. When a passenger is removed from a flight involuntarily due to an oversell or whatever reason like that the passenger should be compensated. Is there an exact regulation for this?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

winginit

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I just learned about this in my Regulations class. When a passenger is removed from a flight involuntarily due to an oversell or whatever reason like that the passenger should be compensated. Is there an exact regulation for this?

Sounds like OP is referring to when a passenger is forcibly removed from a flight because they were being disruptive as opposed to an oversale situation, but yes there are regulations around compensation for passengers who are removed due to oversale.

jetmatt777

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:57 pm

flymco753 wrote:

If it's the airlines fault compensation is required (oversell, aircraft weight purposes, aircraft performance etc). I believe the OP is referring to situations in which the customers was no longer allowed on board. This could be a myriad of reasons (physical threat or altercation, security threat, visible health concerns (drunk, mental episode causing a physical threat, passing out, etc.). How the airline handles that is case by case.

Cubsrule

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:15 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

If it's the airlines fault compensation is required (oversell, aircraft weight purposes, aircraft performance etc). I believe the OP is referring to situations in which the customers was no longer allowed on board. This could be a myriad of reasons (physical threat or altercation, security threat, visible health concerns (drunk, mental episode causing a physical threat, passing out, etc.). How the airline handles that is case by case.

I think you are right. Of note, involuntary "airline fault" removals don't happen all that often because the airlines can usually scrounge up some volunteers. In my experience at least, the issue is when some sort of issue (usually aircraft performance on a shortish, contaminated runway) causes them to need to remove dozens of people on short notice.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DBun

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:31 pm

I've wondered this as well.

Two years ago I was on an EasyJet LGW-MUC flight where the entire row behind me (three lads) was forced off the plane before take-off for harassing people around them (it was 5am and they we're loud, drunk and rude). Security came and told them 'collect your things, you wont be flying TODAY' and we all watched as they were forced off the plane by security. They then had to verify that every remaining piece of hand luggage belonged to a passenger on board. I imagined in this case they lost their airfare at least, I imagine in some instances fines may occur if they cause significant delays. It must depend on the airline and the laws of the country where the incident occurs.

diverted

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Depends on the scenario
If someone's forcibly removed, be it for doing something detrimental to safety, intoxication etc. my last employer would remove them, refund them and then put them on an internal no fly list. The refund was mostly just to wash our hands of the pax. If someone's involuntarily removed due to an overbooking scenario, there's outlined cash compensation.

mjoelnir

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:15 am

No nobody touches the white elephant, removed from the flight for no acceptable reason.

qf789

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 am

As mentioned above it depends on the situation. If it is due to inappropriate behavior they may not only find themselves off the aircraft but also on a ban or no fly list with the airline in question. I know of someone who was assaulted by a passenger who was asked to leave the aircraft. The passenger had been drinking, apparently because he had a fear of flying and when asked for his ticket he couldn't find it after stumbling in his bag, cabin crew pulled him aside to help of which the passenger decided to sit in business class even though he was on a Y ticket. It was only until this happened that the passenger was asked to leave and in the end security ended dragging the passenger of the aircraft and that's when one of the security was assaulted by the passenger. The airline banned the passenger from flying with the airline straight away.
Forum Moderator

Aesma

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:06 pm

I think the case of the catcaller man would be interesting to discuss. Debate about the need to remove him is for the other thread, but now that he has been removed, without making a further scene, would the airline "wash their hands" of him and put him on a no-fly list ? That seems harsh.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mikesbucky
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:47 pm

To clarify, I was looking for information on situations where someone was removed for reasons other than overbooking. I understand there are regulatory guidelines for overbooking scenarios. I was wondering about scenarios with passengers who overindulged, were uncooperative, had conflicts with other passengers or crew, etc.