Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Swissfan12
Topic Author

Toronto Layover

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:24 am

Does anyone know when I will go through customs ?

In January I will be flying to London Via Toronto from Halifax. I will take WS 245 then WS 3.

There is a massive layover in Toronto so I wanted to know will I already had to pass through customs in Halifax or will I in Toronto ?

If I am still "in Canada" I will be able to spend the day in Toronto, if not I will have to spend the whole day at the airport.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ryan78

Re: Toronto Layover

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:39 pm

YHZ-YYZ is a domestic flight. No customs needed, you may simply walk out of the terminal in YYZ and return at a later time for your connecting flight. You will then clear UK customs when you land in London. Not sure on Westjet's policy about checked bags, I would assume they would be held and transferred to your YYZ-LGW flight, just ask the Westjet rep when you check your bags in, in YHZ if they will be checked through to London. If you have 6+ hours I would recommend taking the Union-Pearson Express to downtown Toronto for the day, $12 each way and the train departs every 15 mins from both the Airport and Union Station, train is 25 mins to downtown. There's lots within walking distance, CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium etc. Enjoy your trip!

Swissfan12
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot that's exactly what I needed to know!

Boeing744

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:12 pm

In fact, the UP Express has a "stop-over" train fare if you are spending under a certain number of hours in downtown Toronto (I believe 6 hours, but double check). It is half the regular fare, so quite a good opportunity.

I would highly recommend what the above poster mentioned, and if you have time and weather permits, you can take a stroll up Bay Street past Old City Hall, New City Hall, Queen's Park (provincial legislature), and finally the University of Toronto. On the way back, I would recommend walking down Spadina through Chinatown, and then a slight detour to the west to see Kensington Market. All this will take you a few hours but would tick off some of the major sights in the city pretty efficiently.

WROORD

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 pm

You will clear customs and immigration in London. You need to take a terminal train from T3 to T1 and switch to UP train to Union Station. The ticket is $12 CAD each way and takes about 23 minutes.